Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBC article on Canadians' "withering rights" at US pre-clearance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K

Good opinion piece in the CBC today about Canadians' erosion of rights at the border. I hope somebody brings a charter or supreme court challenge to this. https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/opin...ghts-1.5382547
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Total BS IMHO.

1. Even the U.S is the bad guy, the agreement won't stand without the approval of the Government of Canada.

Blaming the U.S.? How about blaming Canada first?

2. The agreement has been proposed since the Obama Administration. FWIW - Blaming Trump is not a solution for everything.
24left likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by garykung
Blaming the U.S.? How about blaming Canada first?

2. The agreement has been proposed since the Obama Administration. FWIW - Blaming Trump is not a solution for everything.
I don't see anything in the article blaming the US for the situation. Rather, I read it as an informative article stating the facts about the current situation and how Canadians' rights have eroded as a result of "Trudeau's…empowering foreign officials and disempowering Canadian citizens", as quoted at the end.

Yes, Canadian MP's under Trudeau's and I believe Harper's government are to blame. It's not mentioned in the article, but I believe the genesis of this act goes back to the previous Conservative government. In any case, both Liberal and Conservative MP's voted for this act: https://openparliament.ca/votes/42-1/349/. The blame lies squarely with Canadian MP's willing to trade Canadians' rights in favour of a perhaps minor efficiency of movement for certain citizens.

I look forward to a charter challenge of this act at the supreme court, but that will take years; in the meantime, how many Canadians' rights will be violated and unfairly? :'(
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:38 pm

entering canadian border from US is very unnecessarily tough too. they called people to verify, etc. Even though I am upstanding citizen
Spiff and GUWonder like this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

This thread has crossed the line from discussing border policy into a political debate.

Political commentary belongs in OMNI/PR. Since access to the OMNI forums is restricted to members who have been on FlyerTalk for 180 days and have posted 180 contributive messages, and most of the participants in this thread are not OMNI qualified, I'll just go ahead and close this thread.

Please do not go on posting runs, as this would be a violation of our rules and will result in a reduction of post count, and/or formal warnings and/or suspension or revocation of posting privileges.

Future threads discussing politics will be moved to OMNI/PR or summarily deleted without further notice.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 15, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.