Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

FAM Fired for Revealing Info Deemed “Sensitive” After He Revealed It

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAM Fired for Revealing Info Deemed “Sensitive” After He Revealed It

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Smaug
The SC ruled in favor of MacLean, 7-2.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/253314423/...MacLean-13-894

Short and sweet:
^ Only took 10 years for justice to be served and for the TSA to get a big black eye (tho the TSA will just ask congress for more money to cover the payout [meaning we the taxpayers yet again have to pay for this bloated and dysfunctional agency's screw up])
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if I understand exactly what this ruling does. I have seen one article that says MacLean can now seek Whistle Blower Protection. If that's the case then isn't this just a big never-ending circle?

If he didn't violate the law then he should be restored to his former position with adjustments made for likely advancements over the years, all back pay including likely travel per diem that he would have collected, and any other damages that should be awarded such as legal expenses.

So is this just the 7th inning stretch or what?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
There are some quite pretty slap downs of the government in both the opinion and dissent.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:33 am

How about the timing of this? Two days after MacLean's victory:

"The agency also wrongly insisted that lapses involving access to 'sensitive equipment' be kept hidden from the public.
Such lapses were marked by the TSA with a special security designation — known as 'SSI,' for 'sensitive security information' — requiring that they be redacted from [Department of Homeland Security's Inspector General John] Roth’s draft audit.
. . .
The TSA’s decision to misapply the 'sensitive security information' designation subverted his ability to do his job, Roth insisted."
http://nypost.com/2015/01/24/homelan...nesses-at-jfk/

Washington Post:

"'Over-classification is the enemy of good government,' Roth said Friday. 'I believe — and the computer experts on my staff confirm — that this [TSA security lapses] report should be released in its entirety in the public domain.'"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...airport-audit/

IG Roth tweeted a protest:

https://twitter.com/DHSOIG/status/558650902047780865
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
http://www.oig.dhs.gov/assets/Mgmt/2...5-18_Jan14.pdf

Right from the start it's an indictment of TSA and DHS. Rank incompetence & paranoia. What's the point of having an IG if they have no power to do anything?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Not sure if I understand exactly what this ruling does. I have seen one article that says MacLean can now seek Whistle Blower Protection. If that's the case then isn't this just a big never-ending circle?

If he didn't violate the law then he should be restored to his former position with adjustments made for likely advancements over the years, all back pay including likely travel per diem that he would have collected, and any other damages that should be awarded such as legal expenses.

So is this just the 7th inning stretch or what?
Whistleblower protection doesn't apply to people who make disclosures "specifically prohibited by law." The Supreme Court ruled that , while the disclosures here were prohibited by a DHS rule or regulation, they weren't prohibited by statute (i.e. law), so the exception to whistleblower protections doesn't apply.

So, MacLean goes back to the panel that initially reviewed his case, but this time, with the ability to argue that he was acting appropriately as a whistleblower. The first time around, the panel ruled that, regardless of whether the information he disclosed qualifies as whistleblowing information, since the disclosure was prohibited by law, he couldn't qualify as a whistleblower.

To get whistleblower protection, you need two things:
(a) the disclosure of the information needs to be in the public interest, and
(b) it can't be specifically prohibited by law
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
He's a long ways from being vindicated on this.

It will go back to the panel, which will delay as long as possible before taking up the matter, then find against him on (a) - the information wasn't in the public interest.

The fight against that will be almost as difficult as the fight he's just been through. He'll have to find a way to 'prove' that the information was in the public interest. The other side will argue that history already proves he was wrong - the changes he revealed haven't resulted in harm.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Whistleblower protection doesn't apply to people who make disclosures "specifically prohibited by law." The Supreme Court ruled that , while the disclosures here were prohibited by a DHS rule or regulation, they weren't prohibited by statute (i.e. law), so the exception to whistleblower protections doesn't apply.

So, MacLean goes back to the panel that initially reviewed his case, but this time, with the ability to argue that he was acting appropriately as a whistleblower. The first time around, the panel ruled that, regardless of whether the information he disclosed qualifies as whistleblowing information, since the disclosure was prohibited by law, he couldn't qualify as a whistleblower.

To get whistleblower protection, you need two things:
(a) the disclosure of the information needs to be in the public interest, and
(b) it can't be specifically prohibited by law
I appreciate the explanation.

In follow up I guess a strong case can be made that he was fired without cause and he should be restored to duty with all back pays and other benefits restored as well.

As I understand Federal LEO's have a maximum age before mandatory retirement of age 57. If MacLean has reach mandatory retirement age he should be due all back pay and other benefits he would have received while on regular employment plus all retirement benefits he would have also earned. I can see some big issues with TSP and other benefits that he could not use or contribute to due to his being fired.

It may not be the 7th inning stretch but actually the 1st inning of a new game.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by chollie

It will go back to the panel, which will delay as long as possible before taking up the matter, then find against him on (a) - the information wasn't in the public interest.

The fight against that will be almost as difficult as the fight he's just been through. He'll have to find a way to 'prove' that the information was in the public interest. The other side will argue that history already proves he was wrong - the changes he revealed haven't resulted in harm.
So, in other words, the government will argue that they created a nation-wide terror alert based on "credible evidence" of "specific attacks" that ultimately turned out to be a massive false alarm, and nobody who acted in good faith based on that alert was acting in the public interest because the alert all turned out to be BS.

The government would be admitting that they're morons in order to cover up being jackasses.

Only in America.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
http://www.oig.dhs.gov/assets/Mgmt/2...5-18_Jan14.pdf

Right from the start it's an indictment of TSA and DHS. Rank incompetence & paranoia. What's the point of having an IG if they have no power to do anything?
Welcome to America - where government officials can obstruct their agency IG with no fear of negative consequences.

Originally Posted by chollie

My guess is that DHS offers him a tidy settlement at this point.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:03 pm

http://www.hngn.com/articles/65822/2...tleblowers.htm
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:46 am

UPDATE on MacLean case

The administrative judge just issued his first order after case remanded to him from the U.S. Supreme Court:

ORDER FOR THE AGENCY TO SHOW CAUSE . . . The record to date, inclusive of the hearing testimony, reflects that the appellant made a protected [ WHISTLEBLOWER ] disclosure when he disclosed the contents of the text message at issue on or about July 29, 2003. . . . In reviewing the record to date inclusive of the hearing testimony presented by the agency, it is unclear how the agency would meet the first two factors under Carr, and a continuation of the hearing does not appear to be necessary.
http://goo.gl/i9SfKe

Orange County Register story:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/m...ity-court.html
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by willpolice4food
The administrative judge just issued his first order after case remanded to him from the U.S. Supreme Court:

http://goo.gl/i9SfKe

Orange County Register story:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/m...ity-court.html
Has DHS offered any form of compensation since the ruling by the USSC?

No details please, just wonder if they are trying to extricate themselves from this now.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:55 pm

Per the Orange County Register's article:

"MacLean and the DHS are currently in settlement talks."
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by willpolice4food
Per the Orange County Register's article:

"MacLean and the DHS are currently in settlement talks."
Thanks.

I read all but the last couple of lines of the article.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.