Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

FAM Fired for Revealing Info Deemed “Sensitive” After He Revealed It

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAM Fired for Revealing Info Deemed “Sensitive” After He Revealed It

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Just why do you care if this guy goes back on the job? He beat you out of a job or have something on you?
It's the internet! It's important!

.....oh, wait....
Old May 11, 2013, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bearcat06
but until the board rules other wise
Are you a "betting man?"

From the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit's UNANIMOUS April 26, 2013 decision:

Because Mr. MacLean’s disclosure is not “specifically prohibited by law” within the meaning of the WPA, we vacate the Board’s decision and remand for a determination whether Mr. MacLean’s disclosure qualifies for WPA protection. For example, it remains to be determined whether Mr. MacLean reasonably believed that the content of his disclosure evidenced a substantial and specific danger to public health or safety.
. . .
WALLACH, Circuit Judge, concurring. Mr. MacLean presented substantial evidence that he was not motivated by personal gain but by the desire to
protect the public.

http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/images/...-24-2013.1.PDF
From the July 25, 2011 UNANIMOUS 3 U.S. Merit Systems Protection Board members' ruling -- which was vacated by the Federal Circuit:

We also accept, without finding, that the appellant believed he did the right thing in disclosing the information. We have specifically considered the appellant’s testimony regarding his belief that TSA’s plan to eliminate FAMs from overnight flights was “serious” and “dangerous to the … public,” and that his disclosure was motivated by his desire to protect the flying public.(“All I wanted to do was protect lives and . . . uphold the
law.”). The appellant also testified: “If I saved – if I saved a plane from falling out of the sky or saved a life, I believe I did my job, and I shouldn’t regret it.” Further, as the administrative judge concluded, we also have no reason to doubt that the appellant’s motivation was sincere. (the administrative judge, when discussing the appellant’s First Amendment claim, stated that he had “no reason to doubt the appellant’s assertion that he took these actions to benefit the nation . . . .”).

http://www.mspb.gov/netsearch/viewdo...cation=ACROBAT

Last edited by willpolice4food; May 11, 2013 at 9:38 pm
Old May 12, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by willpolice4food
Post a link that proves us that one single police department in the U.S. mandates that their officers take and them pass the minimum requirements for a physical agility test.
I don't want to get into the middle of your argument, but...

According to this article, FAMs must complete a QUARTERLY physical fitness test involving a minimum number of pullups, pushups and situps in a minute, and complete a 1-1/2 mile run.

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/482/...he-air-threats

So, if this guy goes back into service, his quarterly quals will be years out of date, which means that he will probably have to update his quarterly quals immediately upon reinstatement, and continue them every quarter afterward for the duration of his employment.
Old May 12, 2013, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I don't want to get into the middle of your argument, but...

According to this article, FAMs must complete a QUARTERLY physical fitness test involving a minimum number of pullups, pushups and situps in a minute, and complete a 1-1/2 mile run.

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/482/...he-air-threats

So, if this guy goes back into service, his quarterly quals will be years out of date, which means that he will probably have to update his quarterly quals immediately upon reinstatement, and continue them every quarter afterward for the duration of his employment.
You are correct. A non-probationary FAM is required to fully participate: at least 1 pull-up, 1 push-up, one sit-up, and NOT WALK the 1 1/2 mile run. Improvement in subsequent quarters gets you a pat on the back, no improvement gets you a
Old May 13, 2013, 4:27 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
.................................................. ..............................................

Last edited by Bearcat06; May 13, 2013 at 4:34 am Reason: Not going to get banned due to bobby the troll.....
Old May 13, 2013, 4:39 am

I just Googled, Yahooed, and Binged it, NOTHING on shows up on their unofficial nor unofficial websites.

Your google skills suck Bobby.....don't you have some houses to build......?

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/14627976/...ness-standards

http://forums.officer.com/member.php?u=44123

Wow....look who got banned from over there after he showed up using his real name and made a fool of himself....then showed up using a few more screen names before he finally left.....

Damn.....I need to do better google checks of screen names when I discuss things online with folks.

Bye-Bye Bobby......done playing with you......

Last edited by Bearcat06; May 13, 2013 at 5:30 am
Old May 13, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Bearcat06
Your google skills suck Bobby.....don't you have some houses to build......?

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/14627976/...ness-standards

http://forums.officer.com/member.php?u=44123

Wow....look who got banned from over there after he showed up using his real name and made a fool of himself....then showed up using a few more screen names before he finally left.....

Damn.....I need to do better google checks of screen names when I discuss things online with folks.

Bye-Bye Bobby......done playing with you......
Frightening that "Bearcat06" may be a federal law enforcement officer.
Old May 13, 2013, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

S/He could be a BOP corrections officer and call themselves a FLEO.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:31 pm

Frightening that you might actually get your job back.....

God help the guys I know....and you don't go to any of those field offices.....last thing they need is you running around running your mouth off to the media and/or having to actually take action when you've been out of the job for so long.....and depending on you for back-up.......
Old May 13, 2013, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
S/He could be a BOP corrections officer and call themselves a FLEO.
Nope....don't work for the FDC out here....
Old May 15, 2013, 10:31 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Folks,

Stick to the topic at hand rather than tossing brickbats at one another. If we're called to take action on this thread again violators will find themselves riding in Randy's RV. Thanks.

--------
essxjay
TS/S moderator
Old May 15, 2013, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by essxjay
Folks,

Stick to the topic at hand rather than tossing brickbats at one another. If we're called to take action on this thread again violators will find themselves riding in Randy's RV. Thanks.

--------
essxjay
TS/S moderator
I agree and respect your board, but I suggest that you then delete Bearcat06's false rants. I have simply quoted from articles and case decisions, whereas Bearcat06 posts bogus information and rants about hearsay from air marshals he shuttles to and from airports. Posting hearsay about federal law enforcement officers planning to be derelict in their duties is a very serious disclosure.

If Bearcat06's unsubstantiated posts are allowed to stay, then I should be able to respond to them with facts.
Old May 27, 2013, 1:56 pm

Today's LOS ANGELES TIMES story

Today's LOS ANGELES TIMES story:

It was odd, he said, that after [ Robert MacLean's ] admissions the TSA left him on active duty for almost five months with access to classified information although his case was described by the head of the Air Marshal Service [ Thomas Quinn ] "as one of the most heinous leaks" related to the agency's operations.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,3867802.story

For too long this fact has gone unnoticed or glossed-over by the administrative judges. The hypocrisy here is vivid. The TSA has argued for years that MacLean should have known how terrible and dangerous his disclosure was, yet it took them almost FIVE MONTHS to dig up some way to justify termination.

Do you leave an admitted arsonist with a book of matches and a blow-torch alone in fireworks factory??? This is smoking-gun evidence of the TSA's devious and retaliatory tactics.
Old May 27, 2013, 2:46 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He sure is arrogant:

"I'm confident I will be reinstated. It's just a matter of how long the government wants to delay it," MacLean said. "It's very easy now to armchair-quarterback my actions, but given the culmination of events in July 2003, any law enforcement officer today would have done what I did."
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:44 am

Your tax-dollars are hard at work!

The Department of Homeland Security is faulting a three-judge appellate court panel for “fundamental errors” in its April ruling in favor of Robert MacLean, a former air marshal who is citing whistleblower protections in fighting the agency’s decision to fire him.
http://www.federaltimes.com/apps/pbc...=2013307110013

Response:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/160472134

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.