Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond

I saw gate searches at BOS, ANC, and LAX in the last 5 days. I haven't seen them in a LONG time (a year or more?). Why are they coming back now?

If their x-ray/bag searches at the initial screening area are so poor that they feel they need the "random" gate searches, then why don't they fix the initial search? I hate them so much......
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
From hints left in other posts, it appears that Secure Flight has been implemented. Therefore, no more SSSS at the C/P, only the pseudo-random secondary (e.g., C/P grope when you piss off or look at the TSO without the proper "respect" [/sarcasm] [note - this is my interpretation of real world events, not the posts from the various TSO here]).

Since they have no more SSSS, the thought has been that we, the flying public, should expect to see more of the unconstitutional gate gropes.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:44 am
yad

Programs: CO Plat
Observed at IAH as well (2 days ago).
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by honeytoes
I saw gate searches at BOS, ANC, and LAX in the last 5 days. I haven't seen them in a LONG time (a year or more?). Why are they coming back now?

If their x-ray/bag searches at the initial screening area are so poor that they feel they need the "random" gate searches, then why don't they fix the initial search? I hate them so much......
Tell the TSA screener you'll be happy to do a private screening then, back at the checkpoint.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by knotyeagle
Tell the TSA screener you'll be happy to do a private screening then, back at the checkpoint.
What happens if the screener takes you up on your offer - your miss your flight. Or will they back down every time?
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Platinum LT Marriott Titanium Platinum LT, Hertz Presidents Circle, National EC,
Unfortunate. Here's my take. We're now in the budget discussion cycle again, and its going to be a tough one. So all govt agencies and departments now run around trying to garner support and justify their existence. This is (unfortunately) a very visible way of saying "look at us - we're doing something - send more money".
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by doober
What happens if the screener takes you up on your offer - your miss your flight. Or will they back down every time?
Two TSA screeners at FLL for Spirit Air 417 (FLL-CUN) did on 23 January 2009. Will you find out any other way than to demand it?

Evil flourishes when good men do nothing.

...Edmund Burke
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i can't wait to be selected.....

in addition to "would you mind changing your gloves" and "i'd like my bags kept in front of me and in my sight", i'm gonna add, "so what did you folks miss at the checkpoint?"

inefficiency at its best
Old Feb 26, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
I fly on Southwest a fair amount and anyone who does that understands the first in / first pick seating. How will a gate screening work on a WN flight? Will they hold up the whole boarding process? Is the passenger just screwed? Will they let the passenger go aboard and claim his seat prior to the screening?

I haven't had to confront gate screening on a WN flight yet but I think it would get ugly pretty fast.

Does anyone have an actual experience to share?
Old Feb 26, 2009, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by T-the-B
Does anyone have an actual experience to share?
No actual experience on WN, plenty on DL. DL does not give a rat's a$$ about you being delayed by TSA, regardless of boarding zone. I have a good feeling that WN would do the same.

The airline's goal is to get the gate closed and the plane pushed back on time (according to their schedule). You may hear a GA complain, if the TSA gate grope is getting in the way of the final minutes of the boarding process; I have yet to hear one say a damn thing at the beginning of a gate grope session.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 5:07 pm

They were checking IDs and boarding passes at the gate at PIT earlier this week...no additional searches that I saw.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Judging from your post, your bag wasn't even searched and yet you had to come on a travel security website and make a post with, "AAARRRHHHGGG!!!" in the title? I hope you get your blood pressure checked on a regular basis. It seems like you're taking things way too seriously.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
These ridiculous searches at the gates are back more than ever because the workfare TSA program had to make work as the haraSSSSment search program was largely gutted and staffing levels for those haraSSSSment searches are no longer "needed" like they were before.

This reallocation creates more useless busy work than even before as the allocated set-up time for the moving gate searches results in more TSA employees standing around -- Thousands Standing Around more than ever.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 6:58 pm

I was gate searched at NRT earlier this week, flying NRT-IAD. I wonder if this was due to the TSA since the plane was bound for the US?
Old Feb 26, 2009, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by ttjoseph
I was gate searched at NRT earlier this week, flying NRT-IAD. I wonder if this was due to the TSA since the plane was bound for the US?
It's standard for most US bound international flights unfortunately to go through another security check. Usually look for an elite/F/C type line or go when it's busy and you can get through without too much hassle

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.