Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:03 am

They did gate checks at TPA (to DCA) for US 1466 at F84 (or F86 - can't remember) on 2/24. About 6 TSOs descended, set up their table and just started staring at the passengers. As a rule, I avoid eye contact. When they started boarding and started pulling people out of the line, I just watched. They seemingly chose at random, but I noticed that the people who stayed to the extreme right, as far away from the table they'd set up as possible but without looking like they were trying to avoid the TSOs, didn't get picked. So I averted my eyes and walked to the right. I sailed through and boarded. I was looking forward to asking the TSO to change his or her gloves if they had picked me, though. They didn't seem to have any spares around.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Just called my complaint in.
From the phone agent, "Gee, that's messed up."
^^^^
I'm guessing that's the motto of the TSA complaint line. It must get frustrating saying it 600 times a day!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by ttjoseph
I was gate searched at NRT earlier this week, flying NRT-IAD. I wonder if this was due to the TSA since the plane was bound for the US?
NRT has had gate searches for all US-bound flights for years. My strategy is to look at my passport and BP after going through the BP scanner, on the way to the door. I've found that if you look at the person selecting randoms in the eye you get nabbed.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:38 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
I got nabbed at 6am at TPA at the CO airside (A) between gates 5 and 6. They were pulling out pax at random-ish, going for the folks they could get to easiest. They were being mindful to pull people further back waiting to board - the people in line behind me made a point of putting me back into line where i had been (I was literally the next in line by then).

So, the people behind me were nice - that's a plus. The whole "what'd you miss at the checkpoint?" was definitely there in my head since it was so early - i dont think any arrivals had even made it in to that airside yet. Both my flight and the one at the next gate over were originating flights and the others around them hadn't even opened yet. Maybe one of the other gates closer to security? Anywho, I doubt it.

It was just odd - go through security, walk the end of the nearly empty airside because it's 6am in TPA, and then get a second check. Seemed so obviously pointless.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:32 am

please speak now while you still can

Originally Posted by KNRG
I got nabbed at 6am at TPA at the CO airside (A) between gates 5 and 6. [...] The whole "what'd you miss at the checkpoint?" was definitely there in my head since it was so early.
Did that idea make its way from your head to your mouth?
Old Mar 4, 2009, 1:37 pm

I'm just amazed that the TSA is keeping this up (I know, I shouldn't be shocked.) But look at the facts:

1. The TSA said itself that they want to "get it right the first time."
2. The TSA staff hate doing the gate screenings
3. Passengers REALLY hate the gate screenings
4. There doesn't seem to be any added benefit

So why bother?

Things are looking worse too: the "MMW" machines aren't exactly darlings in the public eye, so the TSA's PR battle is going to get a lot tougher.

To be optimistic about it: the more @#$! they pull, the more likely they are to cut back in the long run. If it gets any more intrusive, the gate screening will stop and the MMW machines will go the way of the puffers.

I'm glad to see so many FlyerTalkers speaking up. Complain to the media, TSA and the DHS. Ask them "Why are you doing such a poor job at the checkpoint?" "Doesn't this just look like you have leftover staff?" and other questions that highlight their "insecurities."
Old Mar 4, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mats
So why bother?
As others have mentioned:
  1. SSSS is no more since SecureFlight went online
  2. "Random" C/P gropes are still in play, but not expected to be at the same level of participation as the SSSS traffic flow
  3. TSA needs to do something to keep the WorkFare Program alive
  4. The more Gate Groping they get away with, the more justification for the existing personnel
  5. Adding even more Gate Groping leads to another round of "oh, crap, we don't have enough staff, give us more money"
Old Mar 4, 2009, 1:48 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
As others have mentioned:
  1. SSSS is no more since SecureFlight went online
  2. "Random" C/P gropes are still in play, but not expected to be at the same level of participation as the SSSS traffic flow
  4. The more Gate Groping they get away with, the more justification for the existing personnel
  5. Adding even more Gate Groping leads to another round of "oh, crap, we don't have enough staff, give us more money"
It's really this:

1. TSA needs to do something to keep the WorkFare Program alive
2. TSA needs to do something to keep the WorkFare Program alive
4. TSA needs to do something to keep the WorkFare Program alive
5. TSA needs to do something to keep the WorkFare Program alive
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Everyone had ID checked before getting on our CLE-CLT flight this morning.
I have flown domestically a few times and not shown ID. This was for various reasons, forgot it, accidentally checked it, my wife was carrying it and already passed through the checkpoint, or I did not want to show it. All those times I was secondary searched, but I was not required to posses ID or prove my identity.

Has this changed with the demise of SSSS? When asked at the gate check to show my ID am I allowed to refuse? Will I be allowed to board? If not, who is responsible for arranging alternate means of transport?

Edited to Add:

I guess we must show ID now. According to the TSA website:

"Effective June 21, 2008, adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains the following: name, date of birth, gender, expiration date and a tamper-resistant feature in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight."

Last edited by cparekh; Mar 4, 2009 at 4:08 pm Reason: Updated Information.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by cparekh
I have flown domestically a few times and not shown ID. This was for various reasons, forgot it, accidentally checked it, my wife was carrying it and already passed through the checkpoint, or I did not want to show it. All those times I was secondary searched, but I was not required to posses ID or prove my identity.

Has this changed with the demise of SSSS? When asked at the gate check to show my ID am I allowed to refuse? Will I be allowed to board? If not, who is responsible for arranging alternate means of transport?

Edited to Add:

I guess we must show ID now. According to the TSA website:

"Effective June 21, 2008, adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains the following: name, date of birth, gender, expiration date and a tamper-resistant feature in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight."
the checking at the gate is new (very new), the checking of id and it being required pre-security screening is related to what you pulled out to reference
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:23 pm

TSA still publishing false info re: airport ID options

[QUOTE=cparekh;11361629I guess we must show ID now. According to the TSA website:

"Effective June 21, 2008, adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains the following: name, date of birth, gender, expiration date and a tamper-resistant feature in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight."[/QUOTE]

That is false information. Read the next paragraph on that TSA page:

Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to go through the checkpoint or onto an airplane.
See also TSA's press release about the June, 2008 policy and Daniel Solove's analysis of it.

TSA are full of lies. They are a danger to our freedom.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pmocek
Read the next paragraph on that TSA page:

See also TSA's press release about the June, 2008 policy and Daniel Solove's analysis of it.
Good gawd. They are saying behave, or else. How would they know if I lost my ID or that I am simply too lazy to remove it from my pocket?

"...passengers that willfully refuse to provide identification at security checkpoint will be denied access to the secure area of airports. This change will apply exclusively to individuals that simply refuse to provide any identification or assist transportation security officers in ascertaining their identity.

This new procedure will not affect passengers that may have misplaced, lost or otherwise do not have ID but are cooperative with officers. Cooperative passengers without ID may be subjected to additional screening protocols, including enhanced physical screening, enhanced carry-on and/or checked baggage screening, interviews with behavior detection or law enforcement officers and other measures."
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by cparekh
Good gawd. They are saying behave, or else.
Yes, they are. If you find this disturbing (as many of us do) please share your views with your elected officials.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:51 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Case in point on gate-checks: Just prior to getting in line to board I had moved some of my stuff out of my bag to my jacket pocket.

Not chapstick, not some car keys - my nintendo DS in its full carrying case and several games as well as my headphones. It's not anything special, but it's not a little item to have concealed (unintentionally on my part) from them.

And what are they gonna do? Tell me i can't have something in my bag that i could have purchased anywhere in the airside? I could bring in an empty bag and fill it with water - you know how dangerous water is. What would they be looking for?

One stand there with their faux-wife/friend/etc and upon being pulled aside swap carryon bags. It is the epitome of useless.

What is a gate check supposed to accomplish?
Old Mar 5, 2009, 7:47 am

Your unquestioning submission, my friend. Or your QUESTIONING submission. It doesn't matter which.

If you submitted, mission accomplished.

NEXT...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.