Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by PTravel
Don't you know? Terrorists like to sleep in.
Or they're still in line waiting for Starbuck's to open.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I was wondering about this. What would they find to confiscate? And if they did, wouldn't you expect them to make a big deal about it? After all, if they find contraband on you post-WMD, presumably either a) they dropped the ball or b) you might be the 'big catch', someone's smuggled something into the sterile area and passed it off to you.

Wish one of our resident TSO's would drop in and tell us what's up with this nonsense.

I'm not TSA (I have my self respect) but I suspect they have finally realized that supposedly secure areas of airports are so porous that any type of contraband can easily be introduced to aircraft.

The problem is that gate checks will not reduce the security problem.

Only by checking all airport workers (TSA, airline, ramp, contractors, food service and all the rest) for having items that they should not will the problem be reduce. Workers should have to clear an inbound inspection/tool inventory and a similar outbound inspection. Of course TSA will not do so because it would be harder than screwing with the traveling public.

TSA will continue playing games attempting to convince the Kettles that TSA has a handle on security.

Of course anyone with any power of observation knows that TSA couldn't buy a clue!
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'm not TSA (I have my self respect) but I suspect they have finally realized that supposedly secure areas of airports are so porous that any type of contraband can easily be introduced to aircraft.

The problem is that gate checks will not reduce the security problem.

Only by checking all airport workers (TSA, airline, ramp, contractors, food service and all the rest) for having items that they should not will the problem be reduce. Workers should have to clear an inbound inspection/tool inventory and a similar outbound inspection. Of course TSA will not do so because it would be harder than screwing with the traveling public.

TSA will continue playing games attempting to convince the Kettles that TSA has a handle on security.

Of course anyone with any power of observation knows that TSA couldn't buy a clue!
The last two paragraphs are unnecessary hyperbole. The first three paragraphs are spot on (the TSA/self respect sentence aside).

Excellent observation.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by law dawg
The last two paragraphs are unnecessary hyperbole.
You might want to think about that comment for a moment.

The next time the TSA does something to make itself look dumb (failed Red Team testing, TSAer bringing a gun to work, a screener being arrested), you don't think they will be working the media doing damage control to save face with the public?

Also remember, they spent millions on threads, badges and man hours for classroom time for their new uniforms. Even the TSA PR folks said it's to command respect. They did this instead of purchasing better screening equipment.

The TSA knows that if the general and traveling public turned sour on them in a large-scale way, they would be in big trouble.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by law dawg
The last two paragraphs are unnecessary hyperbole. The first three paragraphs are spot on (the TSA/self respect sentence aside).

Excellent observation.

Not wanting to get into a long discussion but hyperbole is the use of exaggeration when making a statement.

I don't feel that I have exaggerated anything.

I did clearly let the reader know that I am biased when discussing TSA.

I indicated that a lot of what people see TSA doing is for show and has little to do with security.

Finally, I indicated that TSA is either lacking in basic security analysis or unwilling to deploy the results of that analysis.

It's just my opinion.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is everyone having the usual success ditching the gate checks by either doing the waiting game or using Elite boarding lanes (if you're qualified)?

Even though they really are a pain, the gate checks have always been the easiest of the TSA games to get around.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Is everyone having the usual success ditching the gate checks by either doing the waiting game or using Elite boarding lanes (if you're qualified)?
Avoiding the gate checks by playing a modified waiting game has worked pretty reliably for me. Using the elite boarding lines hasn't been a sure-way of avoiding the gate checks unless also playing a modified waiting game.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:49 am

Waiting game has been 100% effective for me so far, for four years. Still, I understand TSA remains at America's airports, so...
Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:25 pm

Programs: WN A List
Tsa screening at gates in san diego today

The practice of deploying TSA personnel at gates was evident in San Diego this morning for flight 811, which was overbooked to PHX. At least three TSA employees milled aorund the gate scrutinizing passengers well before the incoming plane landed. The gate agent announced that there would be selective screening during boarding and that there was a booth or screened area. I didn't see any such area and the pat downs I saw were in full view. Passangers were randomly selected for pat downs. I saw no luggage being scrutinized. To answer a question on this board, the passengers who were NOT selected for screening continued to board so the selected people lost their numerical priority in boarding.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rrrhhhggg.html covers how the TSA workfare program had to find something to do with the thousands more standing around after the security checkpoint haraSSSSment screening-related staffing requirement was reduced.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:03 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
as i posted elsewhere, if i am "SSSSelected......"so, what did you folks miss at the checkpoint?"

feh
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:05 pm

Gate searches have occured in ELP as well years ago.

Imagine their surprise when I was selected and when they checked my carryon bag and found my handgun. They thought they struck gold..............................until they examined my boarding pass that had "Armed LEO" printed on it.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Centurion210
Gate searches have occured in ELP as well years ago.

Imagine their surprise when I was selected and when they checked my carryon bag and found my handgun. They thought they struck gold..............................until they examined my boarding pass that had "Armed LEO" printed on it.
do they actually say that on your bp? i would think that info like that should be kept off of a bp (and especially if a fam). now just curious, why didn't you badge them or were you messing with them on purpose?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:39 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
File a complaint. Every time you see it, every time you experience it, every time you even hear of it. Call. Complain. Let the complaints pour in until this disgusting practice is terminated, and those cretins responsible for it punted through the doors to the curb.

TSA Complaint Line: 1-866-289-9673
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Thanks, Spiff!^

Its now loaded in my cell phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.