Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The US DHS has rules that vary by carrier and by foreign airport.

The sign at JNB may have even been supplied by the USG.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:24 pm

All US inbound flights from Europe have had this liquid search.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DavidVenuto
Don't know where you're flying from, but I haven't had a gate liquid search in Europe. AMS has centralized security now, so it's not even possible. Flown through LHR plenty with np issue.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: 1 thousand
FWIW I did see outbound gate checks in ZRH last year (possibly in December), in the jetway. They were randomly selecting people to ask a few questions, I didn't see if they were bothering to check bags, and I managed to get past since all the agents were busy (there were perhaps 3 of them).

I'm pretty sure that wasn't a generic liquids check though.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I've flown from Europe to the US dozens of times, most recently from CDG, LHR and MAD. I have never been subjected to a gate search for liquids or anything else.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
I've flown from Europe to the US dozens of times, most recently from CDG, LHR and MAD. I have never been subjected to a gate search for liquids or anything else.
Those airports all had it. I live on TATL routes.

I've been subject to liquid searches at the gate at each of those airports, but that was closer to 7 years ago than it is to today.

I've not had a gate area search blocking my liquids on any of my US-operated US-bound flights at any EU/EEA airport in at least the past five years. But the US DHS wants and approves different security measures for different airports and different carriers at different airports; and the rules have varied from time to time. In other words, it's not one permanent USG cookie cutter for all foreign airports and all foreign carriers with US service.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
I also forgot: summer/autumn 2014: random gate searches/electronics tests, at least in LHR. (Assignment seemed to happen at the BP scan stage, with passengers then passed onwards to actual security personnel.)
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:51 pm
Suspended

LHR, CDG and MAD still have some gate searches -- at least they all did last month. But those gate searches weren't a search for liquids to enforce the 3-1-1 rule.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Destination city also matters. SA203 is JNB-JFK and New York has a greater perceived terrorist threat than Atlanta.

Also Delta is not SAA. SAA aircrews are not permitted to be armed, they don't have an Air Marshal service and their aircraft do not IIRC have hardened cockpits. <redacted>

It is however ridiculous to suggest that SAA is lying when they post signs explaining that the secondary searches are "by order of the U.S. Department of Homeland Transportation Security Administration."
Your comment on cockpit doors/FAM only makes sense if US carriers were always exempt. From China US carriers get this check, but not Chinese.

As for saying this is a government rule, either you've never flown or are naive to think that doesn't happen. Ever heard of the FAA/TSA regulation against taking a photo inside a plane? I've heard it plenty. No such rule. IF anything I'm betting a threat based assessment is determining were to do this search, since its not all airports and always even US carriers that are effected.

As for providing the sign, I highly doubt it. They might provide certain wording, but they're not going to the cost to make one off signs. If anything it'd be a PDF explaining what's going on.

Last edited by flyerCO; Nov 6, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Old Nov 6, 2016, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Your comment on cockpit doors/FAM only makes sense if US carriers were always exempt. From China US carriers get this check, but not Chinese.

As for saying this is a government rule, either you've never flown or are naive to think that doesn't happen. Ever heard of the FAA/TSA regulation against taking a photo inside a plane? I've heard it plenty. No such rule. IF anything I'm betting a threat based assessment is determining were to do this search, since its not all airports and always even US carriers that are effected.

As for providing the sign, I highly doubt it. They might provide certain wording, but they're not going to the cost to make one off signs. If anything it'd be a PDF explaining what's going on.
Please try and stay on topic. We aren't talking about photos on a plane we are talking about security checks and how America requires certain foreign countries and airlines to do additional security screening before being permitted to fly to America.

Also, "rule" is your word. What I said was the the U.S. government was "responsible" for the searches on the JNB-JFK flight and subsequently posted a sign proving it.

Last edited by Badenoch; Nov 6, 2016 at 3:30 pm
Old Nov 6, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by televisor
I also forgot: summer/autumn 2014: random gate searches/electronics tests, at least in LHR. (Assignment seemed to happen at the BP scan stage, with passengers then passed onwards to actual security personnel.)
Basically that's the SSSS test. Connect through LHR on VS frequently. Even though you can print pass at home or pull up on phone, you can still be marked SSSS. It only appears if they print it out.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Those airports all had it. I live on TATL routes.

I've been subject to liquid searches at the gate at each of those airports, but that was closer to 7 years ago than it is to today.

I've not had a gate area search blocking my liquids on any of my US-operated US-bound flights at any EU/EEA airport in at least the past five years. But the US DHS wants and approves different security measures for different airports and different carriers at different airports; and the rules have varied from time to time. In other words, it's not one permanent USG cookie cutter for all foreign airports and all foreign carriers with US service.
Where did I claim that no searches for liquids are ever conducted at those airports?

I was taking issue with DavidVenuto's assertion that "All US inbound flights from Europe have had this liquid search."
Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Where did I claim that no searches for liquids are ever conducted at those airports?

I was taking issue with DavidVenuto's assertion that "All US inbound flights from Europe have had this liquid search."
For a short bit they all did.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:10 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I fly from ZRH-JFK often (flt. 65). I believe (from personal experience), that pax "randomly" get SSSS on their bps (probably 15); these have their carry-ons checked before boarding the plane. Everyone is asked "questions", until about a year ago these were: "who packed your luggage?", "did anyone give you anything to bring on the plane?", ETC.
Now the questions are different, typical: "what is your favorite city in Switz.", "what is special about that city", ETC.
They put a sticker on the back of your pp.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Please try and stay on topic. We aren't talking about photos on a plane we are talking about security checks and how America requires certain foreign countries and airlines to do additional security screening before being permitted to fly to America.

Also, "rule" is your word. What I said was the the U.S. government was "responsible" for the searches on the JNB-JFK flight and subsequently posted a sign proving it.
Um, I have stayed on topic. Discussing the gate searches (the topic) and they very wording on the sign about searches. Which, I highly doubt was provided by the government. As for photos if you read the post it was used as an example that not all rules, are rules (relates to wording on sign saying it's a rule). Didn't just throw in a random fact about photos on planes.

I'm happy to say I'm wrong if anyone can find a rule/statue requiring this.

Edit - Upon fully reading the sign, the only thing it states is an order that additional screening MAY be required by either USG or the local regulator. Nothing in it says that the screening even concern itself with liquids.

Last edited by flyerCO; Nov 6, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.