Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by mikeef
Don't worry, there's a neutralizing factor that renders DMHO harmless. I don't know the formula for it, but the layman's term is "common sense."
Yeah, but where is TSA going to get any of that?

Or the "I'm scared of nail scissors" FA union, for that matter?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
I would think so - DHMO is incredibly dangerous in all forms. And yet flight attendants insist on putting the solid form in my soda.
BUT... that's not a liquid, gel, or aerosol. Therefore it's a completely different chemical compound. After all, ice, steam, and water are three different things, right?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:31 pm

Also searched at HKG and questioned almost every time flying back from Europe before checking in.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by DavidVenuto
Also searched at HKG and questioned almost every time flying back from Europe before checking in.
That would drive me up a wall. Based on your verbiage, I'm assuming this has become a pattern for you?

I've always wondered if there is a way one can find if they are on a "search him/her!" (SSSS) list.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DavidVenuto
HKG is standard for gate searches - almost every passenger gets one, and it's highly annoying and unnecessary.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by meunger11
That would drive me up a wall. Based on your verbiage, I'm assuming this has become a pattern for you?

I've always wondered if there is a way one can find if they are on a "search him/her!" (SSSS) list.
Check in (or try to do online checkin) enough times with US airlines, and the blacklisting of sorts may become rather obvious.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
They'really Back. Random TSA Screening @ Gate?

====WARNING===== TSA RANT AHEAD

ATL gate A4 tonight, probably 8 of ATL's not so finest mall cops arranged in a mass at the boarding area. All ID's were checked, and some random pat downs. Please don't tell me we are going to have to endure this fiasco from times past...... Announcements were made and they have what equivalates to a wet floor sign that they bring with them announcing their intentions. Did a check point close early so they needed something to??? Love how the tax dollars are wasted away....

End of rant

(Can someone edit the title, it was just supposed to say "They're" stupid auto-correct

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Sep 5, 2016 at 8:14 pm
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:10 pm

I saw the TSA doing the same thing for a SLC-CDG flight last week.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Where was the flight going to? Since it was rent a cops, this sounds more like a case of that particular flight needing security by law. TSA would be doing the screening of it was a TSA issue.

Ie at JFK before boarding a flight to TLV everyone must go through a 2nd screening at the gate. This is due to Israeli aviation law.

If it was actually TSA agents then something g triggered them to do a gate inspection. They do have the power to require it, but usually only happens if there's something or someone on the flight that requires it. Ie a bomb threat called in on a flight. Once the luggage and plane is checked, they may require passengers on the flight to do security again at the gate.

Last edited by flyerCO; Sep 5, 2016 at 8:18 pm
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Brings back memories of the days when TSA (or whoever) would set up their portable table at the gate, GA would call for FC boarding, and no one would come forward... knowing that the first few were certain to get tagged.

Got so bad that, in some cases, GA would go out into the crowd and nominate folks for boarding.

This is going to make it hard for DL to market C+...

"Buy Comfort Plus and be among the first to board.... unless you are selected for a body cavity search."

Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Where was the flight going to? Since it was rent a cops, this sounds more like a case of that particular flight needing security by law. TSA would be doing the screening of it was a TSA issue.

Ie at JFK before boarding a flight to TLV everyone must go through a 2nd screening at the gate. This is due to Israeli aviation law.

If it was actually TSA agents then something g triggered them to do a gate inspection. They do have the power to require it, but usually only happens if there's something or someone on the flight that requires it. Ie a bomb threat called in on a flight. Once the luggage and plane is checked, they may require passengers on the flight to do security again at the gate.
I am assuming he is calling the TSA agents mall cops.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:38 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Announcements were made and . . . . .
So, anyone who was gonna hijack the plane, just walked away when they heard the announcements.

Now THAT'S security!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Flight was to MCO.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by davetravels
So, anyone who was gonna hijack the plane, just walked away when they heard the announcements.

Now THAT'S security!
Logic. You can not use logic. Sorry.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by davetravels
Or they just see that those in front of them were getting random screening so they don't board. Yet another TSA FAIL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.