Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by david4455
We were stopped on the jetway in SFO by two TSA in blue gloves and asked for BP and ID Friday afternoon. This was SFO-SEA...the last leg of a return from Athens.

What made it suspicious to me was that we had also been stopped in customs for a secondary screening ( They kept asking if we had any food) and although I was really tired and out of it...both my husband and I felt that the TSA were actually waiting for us on the jetway since we did not see them stop anyone else.

We have global entry ( which we did not use this time because there were no lines) and had a TSAprechk on our boarding passes for this segment.
I personally use GE regardless of line status. Its not worth the hassle of being dealt with like a not so trusted traveler.

I really doubt it had anything to do with what happened in customs. CBP have much more powers than the TSA, if they really suspect something you would have still been waiting to re-enter the country. CPB knows TSA has no real authority and is a joke. I don't see them referring you to TSA later for additional screening.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:16 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
I personally use GE regardless of line status. Its not worth the hassle of being dealt with like a not so trusted traveler.

I really doubt it had anything to do with what happened in customs. CBP have much more powers than the TSA, if they really suspect something you would have still been waiting to re-enter the country. CPB knows TSA has no real authority and is a joke. I don't see them referring you to TSA later for additional screening.
CPB has no way of knowing if you are terminating your journey at the port of entry (or continuing elsewhere); hence they really can't rely on TSA for further inspections, even if they wanted to.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2228 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

I saw one of these on AC7371 today, PHL-YYZ. I didn't think they'd do that on an international flight.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by andymell
I've seen CBP, TSA, and local police doing jetway checks. Sometimes it appears random, sometimes it appears based on the visual appearance of the traveller, and once it was pretty obvious that the GA signaled to them. In that case, I later overheard the GA telling the lead FA that some pax luggage was to be offloaded because they had been arrested. I assume it was someone with a warrant who was caught trying to leave the country.

That said, both of the things the OP experienced are fairly common, so probably just (bad) luck they happened together. The search for "food" is actually looking for food -- especially meat -- and other agricultural products. Somehow this helps keep mad cow, hoof and mouth, etc out of the US.
What are the local police looking for? That seems odd.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:55 pm

I saw a gate check "trolly" in the C? terminal at SLC on the 17th.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Is the HKG 100% physical search on the jetbridge a DHS/TSA requirement, or a local HKG airport regulation for US/AUS-bound flights? This search always seems to be conducted by airport authority screeners (not airline contract workers).

(and I wonder why the 100% rule applies to US-bound flights departing HKG but not other Asian and European cities...)
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Mats
Airports where each bag is inspected
Some airports have liquid screening for all passengers on all flights to the USA (and sometimes Australia too.) This means that each bag is inspected for liquids.
JNB-JFK always has a rigourous gate check. The last time I went through a young American woman was furious and made a scene when her bottles of water were denied. I resisted the temptation to explain that it was HER government that was responsible not the nice but resolute South African woman she was screaming at.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:36 pm

Its quiet disturbing and disgusting.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by amandamcadams
Its quiet disturbing and disgusting.
...and quite pintless.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:03 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Gate searches? Gone?

Just realized this past week that I have not seen a TSA gate search for almost a year now. Have these ineffective procedures finally disappeared? Or have I just been "lucky" with my airport choices?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You just jinxed yourself.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:40 am

It's been a long time (more than a year) since this has happened at my gate.

It has happened at a gate I walked by just last month, IIRC. Of course, it's possible highly likely the clerks were just hanging out by the gate though.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:32 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
You just jinxed yourself.
As a nonsuperstitous person, I certainly hope not!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gate searches are a demonstration of how overstaffed TSA is. If a terrorist evaded primary screening what are the odds thst TSA would select the correct flight to gate check?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Had one back in August 2014 at RDU, and saw TSA personnel pushing the gate check cart through the terminal at ORD just a couple of weeks ago, so no - don't think they are gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.