Wiki Posts
Search

What does TSA training consist of?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2003, 8:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

What does TSA training consist of?

I don't know what TSA training consists of. Would someone care to share? How long is it? What sort of material do you go over?
Old Apr 18, 2003, 4:25 pm

40 hours of classroom instruction on how to operate equipment,courtesy,passengers with special needs etc. etc. and then 60 hours of OJT with a supervisor.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 9:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Sadly, A LOT of screeners slept during the Courtesy Portion.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 9:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

40 hours a week seems a lot smaller. There's no way I'd give just 40 hours to someone who'd be taking over my job.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 4:18 pm

Thats just for gate screening. It is an additional 60 for luggage. I have been trained for both luggage machines and an additional 40 for supervisor training.I think there could have been more time spent on dealing with customer relations. It is not easy for some to be confrontational.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 6:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm not trying to pick a fight because you've been cool about answering questions.

Here are some more:
Did you find training too short or too long?
Was there some sort of exit examination?
Is there a probational period?
What mechanisms are there to get bad screeners out of the business?
What mechanisms are there to retain good screeners?
Old Apr 22, 2003, 4:23 am

For what it is worth....

I thought the training was too long, I also thought it was a joke.

There was a final exam, also a joke. I aced it.

We do have a one year probation period.

There are mechanisms in place to get rid of those that do not meet the "standards." You can be relieved without a reason within the first year. Sadly, they are not being used effectively and we are saddled with a lot of "driftwood."

There are no mechanisms in place to retain good screeners. All screeners are treated the same unfortunately. I see people getting written up for various things, yet they get the same treatment as those of us with clean records. In my entire working career I have never called in sick, nor have I ever been late for work, yet I work with those who abuse both of those quite frequently yet nothing is done about it. It is sad indeed that those who come to work on time and do not call in sick are "exemplary" employees.

[This message has been edited by The Unknown Screener (edited 04-22-2003).]
Old Apr 22, 2003, 10:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The Unknown Screener:There are no mechanisms in place to retain good screeners. All screeners are treated the same unfortunately.</font>
Then what, other than pay/benefits, do workers have to motivate them to stay with the company?

Old Apr 22, 2003, 7:18 pm

None really. A lot are looking for other jobs. Myself included.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 7:11 am

As another posted, there is really no incentives in place to keep employees. It seems that promotion potential is a no go, as we are extremely overstaffed in the supervisor department. It's a little depressing on a daily basis knowing that the difference in you and your lead, supervisor was the quickness of a mouse click in the beginning. Most of us have served in management capacity at our other jobs, but in this case had to take a screener position with the "idea" that promotions would be likely as it was a new agency. That was before all of the budget problems and overhiring. I know for myself and my coworkers we do the best job we can, as that is what the flying public deserves, but if another position becomes available, we would take it. That is really what they are hoping for...attrition....
Old Apr 26, 2003, 10:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DisgruntledGoat:
I'm not trying to pick a fight because you've been cool about answering questions.

Here are some more:
Did you find training too short or too long?
Was there some sort of exit examination?
Is there a probational period?
What mechanisms are there to get bad screeners out of the business?
What mechanisms are there to retain good screeners?
</font>
DG, you lookin' for a job ? If so, look elsewhere. Just go to tsaunion.com and read some of the grievances. You'll be amazed.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 11:04 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I truly hope as many of you as possible quit. It would be a good indication of how badly you are treated at the TSA and what a joke the TSA's "security" is.

It's bad enough this workfare agency was created; now they abuse their employees as well as the traveling public. Pack your bags, Loy and Mineta!

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Apr 26, 2003, 11:07 am

Somehow the 'goat seems to have too much respect for himself and the principles upon which this nation was founded to seek employment at Workfare USA...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TakeScissorsAway:
DG, you lookin' for a job ? If so, look elsewhere. Just go to tsaunion.com and read some of the grievances. You'll be amazed. </font>

------------------
Old Apr 26, 2003, 2:22 pm

Spiff, I know you hate the TSA. However, you do not know us screeners and what we as individuals are all about, we are all different. So to make blanket statements about us the way that you do is not only wrong, it shows us something about you that also might be wrong. Some of us took this job wanting to do something positive. I personally think some of the things we are doing are stupid, but since it is part of my job, I do them. I also thought that a lot of the things I had to do when I was in the USAF were stupid too, but I did them nonetheless. Does that make me a lemming, or maybe a responsible employee? I guess it all comes down to your point of view. I certainly understand your feelings about the TSA, you have made them perfectly clear. However, the name calling diminishes your argument in some peoples eyes to a level that I am sure that you would not want it to. I appreciate your right to do so, but I do find that your labels for me are just inaccurate.

For what it is worth, I have not felt mistreated by the TSA, I am seeking another job due to family issues that require me to move back to my hometown.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 3:10 pm

You may be all individuals and you may have taken the job in hopes of doing something positive but you should have walked out the moment you were asked to do something un-American like searching people without probable cause.

I don't care if your job makes you do stupid things - that's your business. I do care when your job makes you do stupid and un-American things to me. That's my business and that where the line is crossed.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.