Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Despite TSA's best efforts, prohibited items still get thru the security checkpoints

Despite TSA's best efforts, prohibited items still get thru the security checkpoints

Old Jan 15, 2003, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Whew, maybe I should go back to sleep!

Seriously, let me try to contribute something to this discussion (?). The United States Code (that is, the law) gives Federal agencies the power to issue regulations. Properly promulgated regulations (see the Administrative Procedure Act for details) have the force of law. You won't find these regulations in the USC but, rather, in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). It's available on the web. And you certainly can go to prison for violating a regulation. It happens every day.

I had a lot to do with issuing regulations when I was a Fed (1979-88). Anyone who wants to know more can e-mail me.

Bruce
Old Jan 15, 2003, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TSA@ABQREBEL:
Spiff it really blows my mind people like you exsist. You and other people see a upgrade in security as harassment but I bet that the people that lost their lives on 9/11 would have wished that the United States had implamented these security upgrades along time ago. Israel has had this kind of security for sometime and has not had a severe incident due to them. So, PULL YOUR HEAD OUT and let us do our jobs!!!!</font>
Israel has been at it for a long time and does it MUCH better than we do -- at least for now. The TSA could learn a lot from the Israelis.

Now, please refrain from being so hostile. Let's just share information with each other nicely. There's no reason for TSA people and frequent flyers to be at each other's throats. It's getting old now, after almost a week of this constantly. Even if you didn't start it, you can end it!

Bruce
Old Jan 15, 2003, 6:27 am

One thing that the Isrealis do is they do background checks on ALL their passengers. If they deem you a risk, you don't even get to the counter. We request you arrive at the airport 2 hours prior to flight, they require 6. We screen bags...they take them apart and open EVERYTHING for inspection. Would we like it if the CIA did a background check on us before we were allowed to fly? Imagine the shouting if that was the case.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 6:56 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rawbert:
Nice first post.

This is just my opinion and I may be wrong here and I am certainly sure I will catch heck for this statement but I feel what I fell. I am convinced now more then ever that the purpose of all of these new TSA posters is to come to this board and gang up on those non TSA supports and harrase them.

We have been discussing our TSA viewpoints for many months now, and despite the FEW cases of name calling it has all been very civil.

Now in the last week I can count dozens of attacks on FT from TSA folks. Were the TSA folks baited? Maybe, in some posts they were.

I have seen an effort by many long time FT'rs to tone down the posts. I wish I could say the same thing for our new TSA friends.

</font>
It is my opinion as well.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 6:58 am

tazi.. Solutions are an answer to a problem, lets look for some that we can all agree on. The TSA is not going anywhere, so lets make it work for everyone.

[This message has been edited by TSA@CAE (edited 01-15-2003).]
Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of the TSA people started out VERY hostile -- perhaps with good reason, considering the anti-TSA sentiment here for a long time. But after just a bit of prodding, all of them -- yes, ALL -- toned down their posts and began explaining what they do in a civil manner. Both sides are getting to know each other, exchanging views and information, doing just what FT was set up for people to do. Congratulations!

Bruce
Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
Then post a joke instead and stop characterizing your involuntary (and frequent) customers as "whiners."</font>
Exactly.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:07 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TSA@CAE:
tazi.. Solutions are an answer to a problem, lets look for some that we can all agree on. The TSA is not going anywhere, so lets make it work for everyone.</font>
Then you will need to refrain from using comments like 'whining' or 'whiners' when referring to someone who is trying to discuss these issues regardless of whether you agree with him or not.

Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Some of the TSA people started out VERY hostile -- perhaps with good reason, considering the anti-TSA sentiment here for a long time. But after just a bit of prodding, all of them -- yes, ALL -- toned down their posts and began explaining what they do in a civil manner. Both sides are getting to know each other, exchanging views and information, doing just what FT was set up for people to do. Congratulations!

Bruce
</font>
And some of them are showing signs of reverting back to their original manner.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:10 am

Then you will need to refrain from using comments like 'whining' or 'whiners' when referring to someone who is trying to discuss these issues regardless of whether you agree with him or not.

Come up with a solution instead of a complaint and you won't be referred to in such a way. We have a framework in which we have to work, as does everyone. How we arrive at the proper balance of security and customer service is open. Lets find a way to do both instead of complaining about both.

Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TSA@CAE:
Come up with a solution instead of a complaint and you won't be referred to in such a way. We have a framework in which we have to work, as does everyone. How we arrive at the proper balance of security and customer service is open. Lets find a way to do both instead of complaining about both.</font>
Who the hell do you think you are to come here and tell people how they should discuss issues? What you call complaints some of us view as serious problems with the system and I'm sorry, I'm already paying enough for your presence at the airport. than to come up with solutions for you.

Get off the pedestal. You aren't at work now so you aren't going to be able to bully people.

Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:51 am

tazi....Who the hell am I? I am the guy who is doing a job that you feel is not needed. Just because YOU feel it is not needed is unimportant. Just because YOU fly does not give you any special rights. YOU stand here on your pedestal and cry out about your rights being violated, if you were in some countries, it would not be just your rights being violated. I suspect you are someone who *****es about everything that you feel is an inconvienence to YOU.

Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:55 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Your job adds nothing to aircraft safety when you harass people without some valid reason for doing so. Nothing. Wow, you found a knife or some matches. Big deal. You did not find a terrorist.

Your job is an affront to the 4th Amendment and the principles upon which this nation was founded. Why don't you pull your own head out and read the US Constitution, the Bill of Rights, or even a US History book?

As long as your job involves harassing people without reason, you can expect cold contempt.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TSA@ABQREBEL:
Spiff it really blows my mind people like you exsist. You and other people see a upgrade in security as harassment but I bet that the people that lost their lives on 9/11 would have wished that the United States had implamented these security upgrades along time ago. Israel has had this kind of security for sometime and has not had a severe incident due to them. So, PULL YOUR HEAD OUT and let us do our jobs!!!!</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:57 am

Spiff...The US Supreme Court has ruled that you are wrong. Thats good enough for me.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:58 am

Location: Currently a man without a country; American Airlines-3MM, Executive Platinum; US Airways-Doesn't Matter AAnymore; Hilton-Diamond; Starwood-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond
tazi....Who the hell am I? I am the guy harassing you you dolt.</font>
Well, this reinforces everything I feel about this civil service boondoggle.

You are winning no points for your organization, dude.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.