Go Back   > > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 12, 17, 1:19 pm   #1
Original Poster
  
Join Date: May 2013
Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Club
Posts: 367
TSA Approves checkpoint (carry-on) 3D baggage scanners

Via CNBC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNBC
After weeks of testing, the Transportation Security Administration has certified 3-D carry-on bag screeners built by Massachusetts-based Analogic. The approval clears the way for the machines to be deployed at U.S. airports.
[...]
American Airlines has already committed to spend $6 million buying and deploying the Analogic CT Connect bag screeners. Each machine costs $250,000.
The appeal of 3-D bag screeners is the ability of security officers to get a clearer view of carry-on bags. Current machines used at more than 2,500 airport security checkpoints give a two dimensional view. As a result, security officers spend more time double checking bags, and according to government tests, the officers often miss weapons in carry-on bags.
For the manufacturer's part (analogic), they claim that the scanner can eliminate the need for laptop and liquid divestiture while scanning bags quicker:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogic
Scans up to 550 passengers per hour, twice the throughput of legacy checkpoint X-Ray
Laptops and liquids stay in bags for quicker throughput and less bin use
Hope to see this in NYC area airports soon, but I have a feeling that it will take some time...
phltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 1:36 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,722
TSA will screw it up.
STBCypriot and petaluma1 like this.
Boggie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 2:33 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: An NPR mind living in a Fox News world
Posts: 11,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
TSA will screw it up.
I can't imagine there will be less bag searches. Of course, we will never know because the TSA doesn't keep those kinds of statistics. There will be bag checks because a clerk won't be able to tell if a container of shampoo is bigger than 100ml. There will be more bag checks because they will be able to see pot and cash more easily. I can also guarantee that there won't be any less clerks at a checkpoint.
petaluma1 likes this.
FliesWay2Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 2:53 pm   #4
Original Poster
  
Join Date: May 2013
Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Club
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
TSA will screw it up.
Possibly, but hope springs eternal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much View Post
I can't imagine there will be less bag searches. Of course, we will never know because the TSA doesn't keep those kinds of statistics. There will be bag checks because a clerk won't be able to tell if a container of shampoo is bigger than 100ml. There will be more bag checks because they will be able to see pot and cash more easily. I can also guarantee that there won't be any less clerks at a checkpoint.
The main advantage of the CT scanners is they're a lot harder to fool from an automated perspective. Because the scanner gets a high resolution 3D image of whatever is being scanned, it can perform automated threat detection a lot more easily and alert the operator.

Also, one of the selling points of the CT scanner is that it can automatically calculate the mass and density of liquids/gels/aerosols in the bag. This is why 750ml of wine in your checked bag is fine (they've been using CT scanners there for many years) but in your carry on it isn't. Via Bloomberg:

Quote:
CT machines provide a far more detailed picture of a bag’s contents. A spinning X-ray camera can capture more than 1,000 images of a piece of luggage from different angles, allowing a computer to create a high-definition, three-dimensional view. By calculating the densities of material, even small amounts of explosives can be automatically detected.

The same CT technology is used in machines installed at airports after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks to detect explosives in checked bags.
On the staffing levels point, no argument there...
phltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 3:15 pm   #5
  
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much View Post
I can't imagine there will be less bag searches. Of course, we will never know because the TSA doesn't keep those kinds of statistics. There will be bag checks because a clerk won't be able to tell if a container of shampoo is bigger than 100ml. There will be more bag checks because they will be able to see pot and cash more easily. I can also guarantee that there won't be any less clerks at a checkpoint.
I'd posit that it might even increase the # of carry-on bags opened. Use of these machines certainly doesn't seem to have limited opening of checked bags as complaints about damage to bags or contents seems to be increasing. In fact, I would also posit the use of these machines on checked baggage has led to an increase in theft because items can be seen more easily.

Last edited by petaluma1; Sep 12, 17 at 6:11 pm
petaluma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 5:44 pm   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by phltraveler View Post
Possibly, but hope springs eternal.
Yes, but I'm an optimist.
Boggie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 17, 10:09 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Posts: 32,722
Oh, boy! Guess TSA will install new CT scanners technology at all US airports. We will see what happen. It should be so successful.
N830MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 17, 8:25 am   #8
  
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greensboro
Programs: TSA
Posts: 1,973
I like what I am seeing on this new tech, there will still be things we have to check (W,E,I) but this is a pretty big leap forward for checkpoint tech. I have been asking for years why we are not putting the CT tech in the checkpoints, it gives us a better opportunity to make some changes to the LGA and other carry-on regs. I hope that it moves forward, it could be a serious improvement over the equipment now in place.
gsoltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 17, 8:31 am   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoltso View Post
I like what I am seeing on this new tech, there will still be things we have to check (W,E,I) but this is a pretty big leap forward for checkpoint tech. I have been asking for years why we are not putting the CT tech in the checkpoints, it gives us a better opportunity to make some changes to the LGA and other carry-on regs. I hope that it moves forward, it could be a serious improvement over the equipment now in place.
Isn't WEI all that TSA is suppose to be screening for by Federal regulation? What else would TSA be looking for? Money and illegal drugs? Perhaps someones Nitro Pills?
Boggie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 17, 10:27 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: An NPR mind living in a Fox News world
Posts: 11,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoltso View Post
I like what I am seeing on this new tech, there will still be things we have to check (W,E,I) but this is a pretty big leap forward for checkpoint tech. I have been asking for years why we are not putting the CT tech in the checkpoints, it gives us a better opportunity to make some changes to the LGA and other carry-on regs. I hope that it moves forward, it could be a serious improvement over the equipment now in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Isn't WEI all that TSA is suppose to be screening for by Federal regulation? What else would TSA be looking for? Money and illegal drugs? Perhaps someones Nitro Pills?
It all depends upon the model number:

Quote:
The B220, B220 HT and H150 Explosives and Drug Trace Detectors (ETDs) provide fast, accurate detection of a wide variety of potential aviation threats using non-radioactive Ion Mobility Spectrometry (IMS) analysis technology. They are available in desktop and handheld models.
Interesting that L-3 and, by association, the TSA, view drugs as a "potential aviation threat[s]."
FliesWay2Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 17, 10:37 am   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much View Post
It all depends upon the model number:



Interesting that L-3 and, by association, the TSA, view drugs as a "potential aviation threat."



I don't believe for a minute that TSA isn't actively engage in illegal drug searches. This new scanner will only enhance that capability.
Boggie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 17, 12:13 pm   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Posts: 32,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
[/s]


I don't believe for a minute that TSA isn't actively engage in illegal drug searches. This new scanner will only enhance that capability.
No, I don't think they need to be search. Let it go through. They aren't looking for illegal drugs. Move along for next one.
N830MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 17, 11:43 am   #13
  
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greensboro
Programs: TSA
Posts: 1,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Isn't WEI all that TSA is suppose to be screening for by Federal regulation? What else would TSA be looking for? Money and illegal drugs? Perhaps someones Nitro Pills?
TSA has only been searching for WEI since I got here. The only time we are associated with things like drugs are when they are discovered while trying to clear a possible threat item. If TSOs are actively searching for something other than WEI, then they are outside of the regulations and are wrong. Drugs are not our job, threats are. Regulations state that we are required to notify LEOs if those types of items are discovered while searching for possible threat items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much View Post
It all depends upon the model number:



Interesting that L-3 and, by association, the TSA, view drugs as a "potential aviation threat[s]."
This phrase is exactly the same as saying that "because a soap company

A. Sold their product to John Smith as a hand soap and
B. Sold their product to the Tsarnaev brothers as dish soap

That company holds the same ideology as the Tsarnaev brothers.

There are several types of equipment that use similar technologies for different purposes.

L3 makes a version of the tech that detects explosive compounds (TSA).

L3 makes a version of the tech that detects certain types of drugs (Usually for someone like the DEA or perhaps Customs).
gsoltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 17, 12:54 pm   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoltso View Post
TSA has only been searching for WEI since I got here. The only time we are associated with things like drugs are when they are discovered while trying to clear a possible threat item. If TSOs are actively searching for something other than WEI, then they are outside of the regulations and are wrong. Drugs are not our job, threats are. Regulations state that we are required to notify LEOs if those types of items are discovered while searching for possible threat items.



This phrase is exactly the same as saying that "because a soap company

A. Sold their product to John Smith as a hand soap and
B. Sold their product to the Tsarnaev brothers as dish soap

That company holds the same ideology as the Tsarnaev brothers.

There are several types of equipment that use similar technologies for different purposes.

L3 makes a version of the tech that detects explosive compounds (TSA).

L3 makes a version of the tech that detects certain types of drugs (Usually for someone like the DEA or perhaps Customs).

Are you suggesting that TSA screeners do not search for harmless items like water, orange juice, baby food, toothpaste, and any number of other harmless items that are not WEI?
Boggie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 17, 9:48 pm   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Posts: 32,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Are you suggesting that TSA screeners do not search for harmless items like water, orange juice, baby food, toothpaste, and any number of other harmless items that are not WEI?
Yes, they do have right to search water, juice, milks, baby food and a few other items, as well.
N830MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top