Search

TSA Installing Checkpoint CT Scanners

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
[/s]

I don't believe for a minute that TSA isn't actively engage in illegal drug searches. This new scanner will only enhance that capability.
No, I don't think they need to be search. Let it go through. They aren't looking for illegal drugs. Move along for next one.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: TSA
Isn't WEI all that TSA is suppose to be screening for by Federal regulation? What else would TSA be looking for? Money and illegal drugs? Perhaps someones Nitro Pills?
TSA has only been searching for WEI since I got here. The only time we are associated with things like drugs are when they are discovered while trying to clear a possible threat item. If TSOs are actively searching for something other than WEI, then they are outside of the regulations and are wrong. Drugs are not our job, threats are. Regulations state that we are required to notify LEOs if those types of items are discovered while searching for possible threat items.

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
It all depends upon the model number:

Interesting that L-3 and, by association, the TSA, view drugs as a "potential aviation threat[s]."
This phrase is exactly the same as saying that "because a soap company

A. Sold their product to John Smith as a hand soap and
B. Sold their product to the Tsarnaev brothers as dish soap

That company holds the same ideology as the Tsarnaev brothers.

There are several types of equipment that use similar technologies for different purposes.

L3 makes a version of the tech that detects explosive compounds (TSA).

L3 makes a version of the tech that detects certain types of drugs (Usually for someone like the DEA or perhaps Customs).
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
TSA has only been searching for WEI since I got here. The only time we are associated with things like drugs are when they are discovered while trying to clear a possible threat item. If TSOs are actively searching for something other than WEI, then they are outside of the regulations and are wrong. Drugs are not our job, threats are. Regulations state that we are required to notify LEOs if those types of items are discovered while searching for possible threat items.

This phrase is exactly the same as saying that "because a soap company

A. Sold their product to John Smith as a hand soap and
B. Sold their product to the Tsarnaev brothers as dish soap

That company holds the same ideology as the Tsarnaev brothers.

There are several types of equipment that use similar technologies for different purposes.

L3 makes a version of the tech that detects explosive compounds (TSA).

L3 makes a version of the tech that detects certain types of drugs (Usually for someone like the DEA or perhaps Customs).

Are you suggesting that TSA screeners do not search for harmless items like water, orange juice, baby food, toothpaste, and any number of other harmless items that are not WEI?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Are you suggesting that TSA screeners do not search for harmless items like water, orange juice, baby food, toothpaste, and any number of other harmless items that are not WEI?
Yes, they do have right to search water, juice, milks, baby food and a few other items, as well.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, they do have right to search water, juice, milks, baby food and a few other items, as well.
Please cite the federal regulation that states this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: TSA
I am suggesting nothing of the sort. TSA searches for WEI. The items you mention may be harmless, or they may not. TSA currently has regulations that prohibit the carrying of LGAs through the checkpoint - with some exceptions. You can argue that the LGA ban is silly or scientifically unsound, or just a general pain in the proverbial rear end - it will change nothing at this moment. TSA has deemed the LGA ban based upon science and a viable possible threat (a point of view I happen to agree with, based upon demonstrations I have seen).
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am suggesting nothing of the sort. TSA searches for WEI. The items you mention may be harmless, or they may not. TSA currently has regulations that prohibit the carrying of LGAs through the checkpoint - with some exceptions. You can argue that the LGA ban is silly or scientifically unsound, or just a general pain in the proverbial rear end - it will change nothing at this moment. TSA has deemed the LGA ban based upon science and a viable possible threat (a point of view I happen to agree with, based upon demonstrations I have seen).
Perhaps I misunderstood your remark:
TSA has only been searching for WEI since I got here.
In turn I asked where in the federal regulation authorizing TSA was the clause that allows TSA to search for non-WEI items.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA has deemed the LGA ban based upon science and a viable possible threat (a point of view I happen to agree with, based upon demonstrations I have seen).
I have spent my entire 41-year professional career in the sciences and engineering. To assert that the LGA ban is based upon "science" is beyond absurd.
petaluma1 and flatdawgs like this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I have spent my entire 41-year professional career in the sciences and engineering. To assert that the LGA ban is based upon "science" is beyond absurd.
Probably the same kind of science that TSA uses to justify looking for bombs under a gents scrotum.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
(bolding mine)

With all due respect. perhaps you and some of your fellow workers have 'only
been searching for things like medical nitro pills when they are discovered while doing a random bag check.

Given that every screener has the final say, I don't think you are in a position to speak for TSA. You are only qualified to speak to your own limited personal experience at GSO and a few other airports, and even then, your experience is limited to what you have actually witnessed and is hardly a reliable guide to what takes place outside your line of sight.

There is no factual basis whatsoever for alleging that TSOs follow a standard policy, even regarding searching (or not) for money or drugs, including medically necessary legally prescribed drugs.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
(bolding mine)

With all due respect. perhaps you and some of your fellow workers have 'only
been searching for things like medical nitro pills when they are discovered while doing a random bag check.

Given that every screener has the final say, I don't think you are in a position to speak for TSA. You are only qualified to speak to your own limited personal experience at GSO and a few other airports, and even then, your experience is limited to what you have actually witnessed and is hardly a reliable guide to what takes place outside your line of sight.

There is no factual basis whatsoever for alleging that TSOs follow a standard policy, even regarding searching (or not) for money or drugs, including medically necessary legally prescribed drugs.
TSA's record is clear that TSA screeners are searching for far more than WEI. Cash, drugs which use to be listed in the weekly "look what we found" blog post, human trafficking, legal medicinal items, and other pilferable goodies. The only thing different recently is that TSA is keeping such reports out of the news.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
TSA's record is clear that TSA screeners are searching for far more than WEI. Cash, drugs which use to be listed in the weekly "look what we found" blog post, human trafficking, legal medicinal items, and other pilferable goodies. The only thing different recently is that TSA is keeping such reports out of the news.
TSA has established that each FSD can implement stricter screening requirements - including looking for fake IDs and targeting minorities (EWR). TSA has also established that each screener is free to exercise his/her discretion to search for and confiscate anything s/he does not choose to allow.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This observation has not gone unnoticed. They would usually proclaim a pot bust or capture of a deadbeat dad about once per month or so. I haven't seen any discussion about ID checker clerks interrogating young kids by demanding they say their names and destinations. But, I can't imagine these practices have stopped.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
TSA has estrablished that each FSD can implement stricter screening requirements - including looking for fake IDs and targeting minorities (EWR). TSA has also established that each screener is free to exercise his/her discretion to search for and confiscate anything s/he does not choose to allow.
Yes, I understand which is the reason I don't believe 3D scanners will improve or speed up TSA checkpoints. In fact the very real potential exists that TSA screeners will use these devices to extend their illegal searches for non-WEI items.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:15 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

The subject of this thread is the introduction of three dimensional baggage scanners at TSA checkpoints.

Please refrain from remarking here about general TSA screening policies and practices which have nothing to do with this new equipment.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.