Go Back   > > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 28, 17, 10:10 pm   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Posts: 32,722
Pittsburgh Airport to give non-passengers airside access

TSA has been approved for Pittsburgh to go through at security with non-ticketed passengers. The first US Airport non-ticketed is allowed go beyond at security since 9/11.

http://atwonline.com/security/post-9...airside-access

Let see what happen. Hopefully all US Airports will allowed go beyond at security checkpoints with non-ticketed passengers.
N830MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 6:11 am   #2
  
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,519
Why would anyone want to be subjected to being sexually assaulted by the TSA to go shopping or eat dinner.

Did you read of the steps people will have to take to do this?

Quote:
A member of the public will be able to access PIT’s airside area by checking in, showing a valid photo ID (driver’s license or passport) and having his or her name vetted against TSA’s no-fly list. The person will then be given a stamped myPITpass and will have to go through a security checkpoint as a boarding passenger would.
http://atwonline.com/security/post-9...airside-access
petaluma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 11:06 am   #3
  
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
Why would anyone want to be subjected to being sexually assaulted by the TSA to go shopping or eat dinner.
My guess is to meet people in transit.
JoeBas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 11:12 am   #4
  
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,449
Just buy a refundable ticket...
yerffej201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 11:16 am   #5
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
  
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 67,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
Why would anyone want to be subjected to being sexually assaulted by the TSA to go shopping or eat dinner.

Did you read of the steps people will have to take to do this?



http://atwonline.com/security/post-9...airside-access
Can these nonpassengers get PreCheck?
MSPeconomist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 11:20 am   #6
  
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Posts: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Can these nonpassengers get PreCheck?
How? No BP no PreCheck. Sure you could buy a refundable ticket but what a hassle.
Randyk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 11:31 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 25,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Can these nonpassengers get PreCheck?
I don't have a reference, but this has come up. Someone with PreCheck got a gate pass to accompany a family member needing assistance to the gate, IIRC. He didn't get PreCheck because the gate pass doesn't undergo the same checks a pax does when s/he purchases a ticket.
chollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 12:09 pm   #8
  
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,519
It's obvious that nobody read the article linked to in the OP. The purpose of this program is to:

Quote:
In conjunction with the US Transportation Security Administration (TSA), PIT has developed a program in which non-ticketed persons can get a “myPITpass” that enables them to go through security checkpoints and access the airport’s shops and restaurants between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. The first day of the program will be Sept. 5.
So again I ask: why would anyone subject themselves to potential sexual assault in order to shop or dine?
petaluma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 1:31 pm   #9
  
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
It's obvious that nobody read the article linked to in the OP. The purpose of this program is to:



So again I ask: why would anyone subject themselves to potential sexual assault in order to shop or dine?
Some people like that sort of thing. I'm sure if it was marketed right it could be a major money earner
Tisbutascratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 1:34 pm   #10
  
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisbutascratch View Post
Some people like that sort of thing. I'm sure if it was marketed right it could be a major money earner
What? Being sexually assaulted?
petaluma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 2:55 pm   #11
  
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: gggrrrovvveee (ORD)
Programs: Gold Member (UA, HH, MR, SPG, IHG); Avis PP
Posts: 5,722
MyPITpass - PIT allowing airside access to non-flyers

Cool news out of PIT. They've started a program called My PIT Pass which allows non-travelers get access airside, ostensibly for dropping off or meeting passengers, or even just shopping/dining.

Looks like it's free, just need to register at an Allegiant check-in counter, and subject to regular TSA screening.

http://www.flypittsburgh.com/program...rams/mypitpass

What do you think? Good, bad, indifferent? Could be a good thing, hearkening back to the good ol' days.
gobluetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 2:59 pm   #12
  
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, TSA Precheck, Global Entry, CLEAR
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
Cool news out of PIT. They've started a program called My PIT Pass which allows non-travelers get access airside, ostensibly for dropping off or meeting passengers, or even just shopping/dining.

Looks like it's free, just need to register at an Allegiant check-in counter, and subject to regular TSA screening.

http://www.flypittsburgh.com/program...rams/mypitpass

What do you think? Good, bad, indifferent? Could be a good thing, hearkening back to the good ol' days.

Looks pretty neat! Wish I utilized PIT more, but hopefully more airports will implement it. At the same time, this will cause some airports to be so overpopulated and even more busy
mike.macrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 3:03 pm   #13
  
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 30
I sure hope it expands to more airports! Being able to hang out inside Tom Bradley would be a dream come true.

I've heard many concerns from people who think that this will increase security lines and crowding. However, very few people (outside of avgeeks) would choose to go to an airport if they don't absolutely have to.
mike.macrone likes this.
theflyingguyblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 3:07 pm   #14
  
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: gggrrrovvveee (ORD)
Programs: Gold Member (UA, HH, MR, SPG, IHG); Avis PP
Posts: 5,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingguyblog View Post
However, very few people (outside of avgeeks) would choose to go to an airport if they don't absolutely have to.
As a sidenote, when I was growing up in ATL, I had a friend whose parents' convenience store was close to the airport. When he and his little brother got bored, his mom would sometimes take them to the airport to ride the underground trains. Good times...

Would be really good for greeting arriving passengers, in particular, minors, returning military, kids returning from school, elderly parents, etc.
gobluetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 3:10 pm   #15
  
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, TSA Precheck, Global Entry, CLEAR
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingguyblog View Post
I sure hope it expands to more airports! Being able to hang out inside Tom Bradley would be a dream come true.

I've heard many concerns from people who think that this will increase security lines and crowding. However, very few people (outside of avgeeks) would choose to go to an airport if they don't absolutely have to.
Good point! I guess for me since I fly every week, I would not need any more reasons to go hahah. But it definitely sounds like a good idea, and a way for the airport to bring in extra money
mike.macrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top