Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Humiliated at ATL [private - non-TSA security screening]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Humiliated at ATL [private - non-TSA security screening]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
No guns whatsoever. I cleared CBP, headed to a connecting domestic flight. these were not TSA or CBP agents, they were private security. They said they do not follow TSA rules/regs.
Thank you. Was the inspection area set up similar to a TSA inspection point?

I too wonder if these were TSA Screening contractors. If so they fall under the umbrella of TSA and complaints could be directed to the DHS OIG.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:16 pm

Quite truthfully, if this happened as reported, it sounds a great deal like the scam in Denver where two screeners set up male passengers to be assaulted by one of those screeners.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Thank you. Was the inspection area set up similar to a TSA inspection point?

I too wonder if these were TSA Screening contractors. If so they fall under the umbrella of TSA and complaints could be directed to the DHS OIG.
It was set up just like a TSA screening station.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
It was set up just like a TSA screening station.
Think I would file a complaint. At least get on the record.

https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/complaints

https://hotline.oig.dhs.gov/hotline/hotline.php
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
File complaints with both TSA and ATL Police.

It's really hard to figure out who these people were and how this all ocurred as ATL does not use contractors for its checkpoints. But, as the people said they worked "for the airport." tale it at face value.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I get the impression that there's something missing from this story...
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

There is nothing missing from this story. I'm a very honest and ethical person. I have nothing to gain by falsifying the truth.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
I think I would have asked for the ATL PD prior to the search just to confirm it was lagit and have them witness.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:32 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I haven't been through ATL international to domestic security in a while, but when I did go through there regularly I found it to be a zoo with the security screeners (TSA or not) yelling and generally being rude to passengers, many of which were visiting this airport and the USA for the first time and did not understand what was going on or what they were supposed to do - not giving a good impression of the USA at all.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
I'm ok with additional screening with suspect individuals. Perhaps the next time you travel, don't wear things that confound the scanners.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
I'm ok with additional screening with suspect individuals. Perhaps the next time you travel, don't wear things that confound the scanners.
You seem to have missed OP's statement that this search was NOT done by TSA but rather by people who claimed to be private security in an airport that does not use private security.

Originally Posted by tuono07
I think I would have asked for the ATL PD prior to the search just to confirm it was lagit and have them witness.
It takes a great deal of presence of mind to be able to do that, which most don't have especially after coming off an Internationale flight.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 29, 2017 at 8:15 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Alarming a scanner does not justify aggressive or rude treatment by airport screeners, federal or contract. Each traveler deserves to be treated respectfully.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: B6, AA, AS
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I get the impression that there's something missing from this story...
I concur.

The repetition of language is noteworthy.

You all may be way to kind this time.

I hope I'm wrong, but my instincts, ....

Something is a miss.

Careful, ....

Bear
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Not his is being misrepresented. I was terribly tired off a long flight. My shirt set off the scanners. It was a plastic decal. What more do you want from me? I give up!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by tuono07
Given the details, I would agree with this course of action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.