Dulles CBP Officers Arrest Two Wanted Felons upon Arrival in the US

Subscribe
This is the system working.

It's good for others with active warrants to worry. Maybe some of them will surrender themselves and maybe some people with warrants for inconsequential violations will just pay up.
The press release stated they were arrested with outstanding warrants and the charges associated with it. I hardly consider it smearing. The press releases had less information than indictments that anyone can lookup at court websites.
Quote: The press release stated they were arrested with outstanding warrants and the charges associated with it. I hardly consider it smearing. The press releases had less information than indictments and they are public record.
And if either one or both named persons end up not being found guilty on the warrant-related charges, is CBP then going to correct the record and make a public show of it in the same way? I doubt it, as the purpose of this kind of approach by CBP is to smear and to play to an audience beside just those with a warrant outstanding.
Quote: And if either one or both named persons end up not being found guilty on the warrant-related charges, is CBP then going to correct the record and make a public show of it in the same way? I doubt it, as the purpose of this kind of approach by CBP is to smear and to play to an audience beside just those with a warrant outstanding.
Arrest records don't disappear after an acquittal either with or without a CBP press release.
Quote: Arrest records don't disappear after an acquittal either with or without a CBP press release.
That's not news to me, nor is the following news to me: that the CBP discriminates in how and whom it targets, including in how and whom it targets in press releases. The two named persons aren't the only people the CBP stopped like this for outstanding warrants, yet most of those stopped this year for such by CBP haven't been subject to such public showboating by CBP.

CBP propaganda effort on display in that announcement about these two named persons.
Like I said previously I see your previous point except for the smearing part. They haven't release any personal information that is not already public record.
Quote: Like I said previously I see your previous point except for the smearing part. They haven't release any personal information that is not already public record.
That something may in part be a public record is quite distinct from the DHS/CBP propaganda unit using cherry-picked public records to try to play to an audience of sorts using a very public megaphone and thereby smear individuals or groups of people even absent a jury trial conviction on the charges. When it doesn't suit its purposes, the DHS/CBP PR claims they can't comment on border crossings even when the border crossers may be in some public records.
Quote: and thereby smear individuals or groups of people even absent a jury trial conviction on the charges.
Quite a stretch and obfuscation, in light of the original CBP release

Mohammad Asim Noumani, 41, of Springfield, Va., was wanted by Fairfax County, Va., Police on five felony counts of aggravated sexual battery of a minor. Noumani arrived on a flight from Doha, Qatar.
Mukhtar Aria, 30, was wanted by Arlington, Va., Police for brandishing a firearm on or near a school. Aria is an Afghanistan citizen and U.S. lawful permanent resident residing in Arlington. Aria arrived on a flight from Istanbul, Turkey.

These people were wanted by the police - where does jury conviction come into the picture?? The CBP was stating the facts.
GUWonder and I are on the same page. It's good to arrest those guys. It's bad to issue a press release about it when they don't issue a press release for all arrests made at Dulles. That's the point I was trying to make. If the two had been white anglo-saxon protestants, a press release wouldn't have gone out.
And they certainly don't put out that kind of informative press release when one of their own gets in trouble.
Quote: Quite a stretch and obfuscation, in light of the original CBP release

Mohammad Asim Noumani, 41, of Springfield, Va., was wanted by Fairfax County, Va., Police on five felony counts of aggravated sexual battery of a minor. Noumani arrived on a flight from Doha, Qatar.
Mukhtar Aria, 30, was wanted by Arlington, Va., Police for brandishing a firearm on or near a school. Aria is an Afghanistan citizen and U.S. lawful permanent resident residing in Arlington. Aria arrived on a flight from Istanbul, Turkey.

These people were wanted by the police - where does jury conviction come into the picture?? The CBP was stating the facts.
No stretch and no obfuscation in my post, and those words of yours about that seem to be a reference to your own post.

The CBP discriminates in how and whom it targets, including in how and whom it targets in press releases. The two named persons aren't the only people the CBP stopped like this for outstanding warrants, yet most of those stopped this year for such by CBP haven't been subject to such public showboating by CBP.

CBP propaganda effort on display in that announcement about these two named persons. It would be a somewhat different story if the two had been convicted already, but have they?
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/media-releases/all

CBP has lots of press releases, some with names and other personal information, some without.
Quote: GUWonder and I are on the same page. It's good to arrest those guys. It's bad to issue a press release about it when they don't issue a press release for all arrests made at Dulles. That's the point I was trying to make. If the two had been white anglo-saxon protestants, a press release wouldn't have gone out.
I realize that it's six weeks older than the arrest warrant in question, but here is one about CBP arresting Clement Francis on roughly equivalent Florida child sexual abuse charges back in June.

If anybody seriously thinks that it is newsworthy everytime somebody with an unpaid misdemeanor find gets nabbed, they are wrong. And if it isn't newsworthy, it's not worth a press release.

It's not just CBP, it's other federal, state and local law enforcement agencies as well.

Sometimes there is a story to be had. Sometimes there isn't. This is one of those where there isn't.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-m...child-molester
Quote: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/media-releases/all

CBP has lots of press releases, some with names and other personal information, some without.
Seems like STERLING office consistently identifies the prep while other stations are YMMV.
Quote: Seems like STERLING office consistently identifies the prep while other stations are YMMV.
Consistently? That's not what I would say when most of those people stopped at IAD in such situation don't get subjected to a CBP propaganda release that includes the border crossers' names and other PII.