OMG [TSA self congratulations]

Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I wonder when they will do something similar for the TSA agent who confiscated my ballpoint pen?

Thankfully it was a cheapo throwaway... I don't fly with any of my nice pens anymore. Can be embarrassing at times while I'm at my destination though.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Most of them
To their credit they did detect one probable terrorist in front of me... a woman in her seventies trying to sneak on a 6 oz container of moisturizer in her purse... of course it was nearly empty but ITS THE SIZE OF THE CONTAINER THAT MATTERS and no, we all thought it was fine for him to yell at her.
DeafBlonde and petaluma1 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Much better if it was a toenail clipper with a 2" file.
Even better, an eyelash curler tool...now that would be considered a dangerous weapon!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fracmeister
To their credit they did detect one probable terrorist in front of me... a woman in her seventies trying to sneak on a 6 oz container of moisturizer in her purse... of course it was nearly empty but ITS THE SIZE OF THE CONTAINER THAT MATTERS and no, we all thought it was fine for him to yell at her.
That TSA looks at the size of the container and not the amount in the container only confirms Nico's comment that screeners have cognitive burdens when making decisions.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
That TSA looks at the size of the container and not the amount in the container only confirms Nico's comment that screeners have cognitive burdens when making decisions.
Those same cognitively burdened screeners are supposed* to be able to tell whether or not a sno-globe contains <3.4 ounces of liquid just by looking.

* That is the published rule. We have no idea what the SSI SOP actually says, and of course, the screener always has the 'final say' anyway.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:08 am

A screener told my wife once that he thought there were too many liquids in her bag and they may not let her through. All of the bottles were 100 mL or less and the bag easily closed.

I find it funny that they are congratulating themselves on finding a knife when that is one of the most basic parts of their job. Also it's kind of ironic calling the knife a great catch when 3 or 4 years ago they announced that small knifes weren't a threat anymore and would be allowed through security.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:20 am

Their failure rate has been climbing over the years. During the last test we know about, earlier this year, they missed 95% of the fake threats.

They continue to look for guns somehow concealed in people's butt cracks, crotches, water bottles and breast milk.

Ironic that they spend so much time rubbing people's genitals, because on one of the last tests, the tester taped something to his back. He set off the WTMD/NoS and got a follow-up grope.

They missed the item taped to his back.

So what does TSA do? It doubles down on searching genitals. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Their failure rate has been climbing over the years. During the last test we know about, earlier this year, they missed 95% of the fake threats.

They continue to look for guns somehow concealed in people's butt cracks, crotches, water bottles and breast milk.

Ironic that they spend so much time rubbing people's genitals, because on one of the last tests, the tester taped something to his back. He set off the WTMD/NoS and got a follow-up grope.

They missed the item taped to his back.

So what does TSA do? It doubles down on searching genitals. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
I'm not so sure what TSA is doing is screening. Looks more like a bunch of government employees getting their jollies at the public's expense.

Kinda makes it understandable why TSA didn't try to prosecute that Denver screener who liked feeling up men.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
That reminds me, I need to invent startup company called "Net Wt. 2.9oz". Our company name will be written in bold black print on the bottom of our product on the front label. We will sell liquid bathroom products in all weights and sizes of course. In fact, we at Net Wt. 2.9oz are proud of our new line of 6oz bottles of hand sanitizer.

As the law requires, our new 6oz bottle of hand sanitizer has it's net weight labeled clearly on the back label in 1pt font one shade of white darker than the bottle itself.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by petaluma1
That happened to me a few years ago. A nearly empty tube of toothepaste (maybe 5oz or so if it was full). But it was had maybe 2 or 3 uses left before I was going to through it away. Arguing with the screener was useless. He kept repeating that "it is what the original ounces that matter not what is left in the tube."
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mdkowals
That reminds me, I need to invent startup company called "Net Wt. 2.9oz". Our company name will be written in bold black print on the bottom of our product on the front label. We will sell liquid bathroom products in all weights and sizes of course. In fact, we at Net Wt. 2.9oz are proud of our new line of 6oz bottles of hand sanitizer.

As the law requires, our new 6oz bottle of hand sanitizer has it's net weight labeled clearly on the back label in 1pt font one shade of white darker than the bottle itself.
I know people who have made their own labels and sailed through screening with >3.4 oz or 100 ml.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:48 pm

A friend brought back 100ml bottles of liquor from London - in carry-on. There was an inch of space in the neck of the bottle, so the bottle was clearly larger than 100ml. Fortunately, it was a non-stop flight to the US and she touched down at her final destination, or they might have been confiscated.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
That happened to me a few years ago. A nearly empty tube of toothepaste (maybe 5oz or so if it was full). But it was had maybe 2 or 3 uses left before I was going to through it away. Arguing with the screener was useless. He kept repeating that "it is what the original ounces that matter not what is left in the tube."
Just a question, is a tube of toothpaste contents measured as a weight or a volume?

Second question, would a TSA screener know the difference?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Just a question, is a tube of toothpaste contents measured as a weight or a volume?

Second question, would a TSA screener know the difference?
1. Weight - at least my toothpaste is weight

2. No
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Of all the complaints I have with TSA ... this is not one of them.

"Yes, Ms. Screener, I understand that this bottle says that it's 7 ounces. But you can clearly see that it's only 45% full, which means that it's really only 3.15 ounces, which is obviously less than the 3.4 ounces allowed."

Do we really want TSA screeners performing volumetric measurements and higher mathematics as a part of the screening process? (You think screening is slow *now* ...)

Or, worse ... would you like to see TSA congratulating itself (yay, back on topic!) for confiscating an LGA container because the screener correctly calculated that the container held 3.5 ounces of liquid?

The rule is stupid, but it's easy to enforce.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.