Not very thick?
Not containing down?
Not worn by an attractive person?
Quote: One layer?
Not very thick?
Not containing down?
Not worn by an attractive person?
Best guess, Screener Discretion.
From personal experience, I can tell you that I've never been asked to take off sportcoats, suit jackets or windbreakers when going through PreCheck or PreCheck Light lanes.
Quote: Best guess, Screener Discretion.
Which is pretty much the only answer to any question involving TSA policies.
reaganFF likes this.
which is why I stuff my jacket in my carryon. One less thing for them to get fixated on.
In my experience, a denim jacket/windbreaker has been fine. As a matter of fact, a screener waived me along in a denim jacket with lots of metal buttons . . . crickets from the machine. If it's suitable for wearing while shoveling snow, take it off.
Quote: If it's suitable for wearing while shoveling snow, take it off.
No idea what that means, as I have never done that

Brilliant choice, let the. stupidest use their "discretion"
Quote: Brilliant choice, let the. stupidest use their "discretion"
That's the TSA WAY©!

Quote: No idea what that means, as I have never done that
After being stationed in Maine wife said we would go south until people couldn't identify a snow shovel. Ended up south of San Antonio.
Quote: After being stationed in Maine wife said we would go south until people couldn't identify a snow shovel. Ended up south of San Antonio.

There are enough snow birds south of San Antonio to tell you the make and model of the snow shovel.

I have seen an attractive women asked to remove a very thin sweater as the TSA agents gathered for a better view to gawk. There is no rhyme or reason to the TSA agent's interpretation of the rules. I have had to hand a printed copy of the TSA rules concerning scissors when I had a wound to redress. The safety scissors were less than 2" in length which is under the listed 4".
+1.

I flew with a jacket where I was unsure whether it would be considered "light" or not. It could be considered either light or medium depending on whom you asked. I asked the TSA person running the BP scanner if my jacket would be considered light and she said that was a good question and if she were doing the screening she would consider it light which I took to mean that it was in the grey area between light and medium and someone else might have a different opinion and it is up to the screener to decide. I took my jacket off to avoid any potential issues.
I've walked through with fleece jackets and down vests before.

Typically I put my jacket and anything in my pockets in my carryon just to avoid any hassles.
I've had to take an unlined windbreaker off. After that, I just started stripping to my base layer and stuffing everything in my bag before I approach the TDC. Aside from the risk of drawing unwanted attention, I really don't like putting my clothing, even outwear, in the bins.

It's a minor hassle that I shouldn't have to engage in, but at least I never travel in business attire, so I'm not messing up a suit jacket by stuffing it in my bag.