Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

ICE agents got shots by the feet accidentally at MCO airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

ICE agents that he got shots by his feet accidentally, but his gun is on the floor. He tried to pick it up his gun and he couldn't. He was on vacation from Kansas City. TSA did not know what happened to him. His gun is allowed on the flight with proper documentation.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...801-story.html

Go easy on the jobs. Don't make anymore mistakes again.

Last edited by N830MH; Aug 1, 2017 at 11:33 pm
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
So much for worrying about the bad guys.

An armed ICE agent on vacation accidentally fires his weapon and shoots himself in the foot at the checkpoint.

Fortunately no innocent pax or airport workers were injured by this incompetent clown who should never be allowed to carry a weapon on the job again.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should this person be allowed to carry a handgun in public?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Should this person be allowed to carry a handgun in public?
That was my first thought. I'm no firearms expert, but should someone be in a crowded place with a gun in a state where it can be accidentally fired if the owner grabs it?

I suspect this guy will get the same special treatment DHS reserves for one of its own - like the DEN TSO who showed up at work with a firearm but was allowed to keep his job, no problem.

I think it's unlikely the cops were waiting to arrest this guy after the hospital released him - but they should have been. If he currently has TT status, it should be immediately revoked - it would be for any ordinary citizen.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I have ZERO compassion for a LEO who displays this level of incompetence with a firearm. ZILCH. NONE. NADA. Well, to be honest, I feel the same about anyone who displays this level of incompetence, but a LEO, who receives extensive firearms training and is required to regularly re-qualify with their weapons in order to keep carrying them, should be held to an even higher standard than the average gun owner.

This agent's authority to carry a weapon should be immediately suspended pending a full investigation, and he should be required to pass a refresher course on concealed carry and firearm safety before he's even allowed to possess his service weapons again, let alone carry it on the job.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:21 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
With no offense to "larger guys" (I am personally a "larger guy"), how the hell does a dude like this even get passed as an LEO? I used to be one (pre "larger guy status") and there were rigorous physical ability tests. The dude couldn't pick it up???
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:25 pm

If he's on vacation, is he still allowed to carry his weapon on a flight?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by chollie
If he's on vacation, is he still allowed to carry his weapon on a flight?
Yes, he did. He was allowed to carry his gun on the flight with proper documentation.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gwade
With no offense to "larger guys" (I am personally a "larger guy"), how the hell does a dude like this even get passed as an LEO? I used to be one (pre "larger guy status") and there were rigorous physical ability tests. The dude couldn't pick it up???
ICE has employees in its good books that even have tried to deport US citizens who even provided documentation showing how they were to be considered US citizens. At least one such US citizen was held by ICE for years and years and then told that as long as ICE held him for enough time without him filing for false imprisonment or the like, he wasn't entitled to squat for being deprived of his due liberty for years and years as a US citizen wrongfully treated as if a deportable Jamaican citizen. Mental or physical limitation of sorts by its employees are obviously tolerated to some degree by DHS.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
ICE has employees in its good books that even have tried to deport US citizens who even provided documentation showing how they were to be considered US citizens. At least one such US citizen was held by ICE for years and years and then told that as long as ICE held him for enough time without him filing for false imprisonment or the like, he wasn't entitled to squat for being deprived of his due liberty for years and years as a US citizen wrongfully treated as if a deportable Jamaican citizen. Mental or physical limitation of sorts by its employees are obviously tolerated to some degree by DHS.
I don't know about physical limitations, but I believe that DHS tolerates and even encourages certain antisocial behaviors on the part of its employees, i.e., authoritarian behavior by TSA screeners.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A question was asked if LEO's on vacation can fly with their weapon. Seems that the answer may be a big fat NO!

Common examples of travel that does not meet the threshold for carriage of accessible weapons are:
  • Individuals possessing the status of a retired, contract, reserve, auxiliary or annuitant law enforcement personnel.
  • Law enforcement officers who have not been granted general arrest authority and/or are limited specifically to governmental facilities.
  • Any law enforcement officer who is employed by a department, agency or service that is not fully taxpayer funded.
  • Attendance of non-operational or enforcement related activities (e.g., training, conferences, police week, memorial services, personal travel, etc.).
Looks like Ricky may have some 'splaining to so.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:49 am

A question was asked if LEO's on vacation can fly with their weapon. Seems that the answer may be a big fat NO!

Looks like Ricky may have some 'splaining to so.
Here's the other thing that surprises me about this.

It appears that he was open carrying - how else did his gun get dislodged, with a round in the chamber no less, when he shifted his bag?

I wasn't aware that LE could open carry through checkpoints and on planes, particularly when on personal travel. I thought even FAMs and armed pilots kept their firearms concealed, although perhaps it isn't required.

Last edited by chollie; Aug 3, 2017 at 11:00 am
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the other thing that surprises me about this.

It appears that he was open carrying - how else did his gun get dislodged, with a round in the chamber no less, when he shifted his bag?

I wasn't aware that LE could open carry through checkpoints and on planes, particularly when on personal travel. I thought even FAMs and armed pilots kept their firearms concealed, although perhaps it isn't required.
I don't read anything in the article that suggests open carry. Pure guess would be a shoulder or In Waist Band holster.

I'm really curious if the TSA guidance I posted is correct or not.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:38 am

I don't read anything in the article that suggests open carry. Pure guess would be a shoulder or In Waist Band holster.

I'm really curious if the TSA guidance I posted is correct or not.
IIRC, as he was shifting his shoulder bag, it caught on his weapon. I guess his weapon could have been in a waist holster 'concealed' by a light jacket that got pushed aside by his shoulder bag when he shifted it.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC, as he was shifting his shoulder bag, it caught on his weapon. I guess his weapon could have been in a waist holster 'concealed' by a light jacket that got pushed aside by his shoulder bag when he shifted it.
T shirt and a vest. Vest for concealment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.