Wiki Posts
Search

TSA becoming more serious lately?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
TSA becoming more serious lately?

Is it just me, or does TSA seem to really be getting more serious lately? When TSA was originally incepted in ~2002, it was run by FAA (I think) then transferred to DHS. Over the years, we've seen gradual increases in rules (the liquids rule, ID checkers), but I feel like recently, there's been increases in rapid succession. Books being checked, food being checked, and now all electronics out. There also seems to be an uptick of random reports (Bravo! activities, more surly screeners, etc.), and the screeners seem more serious nowadays. It's hard to explain – TSA employees were never completely laid back, but there seems to be more of a seriousness to their actions these days. Another example of this: adding "wait until the screener calls you" at the ID checker. I don't remember those signs in 2014 or so. I accidentally stepped forward at IAD, and the ID checker got all huffy with me.

If you didn't know what year it was, would you be able to tell the difference between today's TSA and 2009's TSA? Is there a big difference between now and then? I don't know how exactly to explain it, but something about TSA and their actions lately is making me nervous.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:00 am

"Books being checked, food being checked, and now all electronics out. There also seems to be an uptick of random reports (Bravo! activities, more surly screeners, etc.), and the screeners seem more serious nowadays."

I think I know what you're getting at, but "serious" is not the first adjective that comes to mind. Maybe "attention-starved" is better--imagine if you could rely on the press to spread the idea that you were more effective, more dedicated, more alert, you'd probably go with it. Books? Food? Come on, they're obviously getting desperate, and they haven't had a positive portrayal in the news lately, amid widespread reports of 95% failure rate, so might at well go with books and food. After that wears off, and still no terrorists caught, maybe fishing poles and frisbees will be next on their list. Anything to appear "serious" to the gullible hoi polloi. As George Carlin said, it's all about giving the illusion of safety.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: QFF
Depends what you mean by "serious".

Nothing the TSA does has done anything to improve security. If anything they make everyone less safe by wasting time looking for things that are not threats.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:48 am

To my mind, it's not getting more "serious" because of any real threats out there, rather TSA is desperate to score >5%/6% on testing therefore, they are doubling down. We've seen recently at MSP how well that works.

That said, on @TSA in the last week or so, there was a post from someone who claimed to be the spouse of a TSA employee that said something to the effect of:

"If you knew how great the threat was, you wouldn't be demeaning TSA employees."

I wonder if employees are given a fear-filled pep talk at their morning briefings and are then sent out to find themselves a terrorist.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
The organization as a whole seems to be acting more arrogant and self-important, probably stemming from desperation, and this manifests itself in the various security theater changes. I haven't noticed any overall change in the attitude of TSA clerks - the usual mix of some who are pleasant/professional/efficient, some who are the exact opposite of that, some who are in between, etc.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

So if you didn't know what year this was, and for some reason, you were transported back to late 2008 or 2009, then taken back today to compare, would you be able to tell a difference in the overall operations or attitude?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I agree there are differences, but I would categorize them as increasingly contempt for the pax - no increased focus on performance and security.

No pretense that baggage machines are breaking luggage locks, something no other baggage machines outside the US seem to do. They openly acknowledge they cut locks, don't replace them, don't have to replace them.

Increased disrespect for the pax's body. I shudder to think what the next escalation of body searches will lead to. The current grope can't get much more intimate without requiring clothing removal or cavity penetration.

Increased authority to confiscate or damage pax belongings at the checkpoint or in checked baggage. There are no longer rules - there is only the screener's 'final say' and increasingly TSA makes it clear that HQ imposes few if any binding rules or strategies. TSA now openly acknowledges that the 'slight variations' in the rules between screeners or airports really means that things that are 'generally allowed' can still be confiscated at any time by any screener for no reason.

The tone of TSA's communications with the public on social media is at an all time low. The condescension and contempt, as well as the regular misinformation on the twitter and FB accounts, is unparalleled in TSA's history.

Interestingly, as TSA abuse of the pax continues to grow, the test scores continue to decline. You might think someone would wonder if there's a possible correlation between poor performance and an organization that has no rules for its employees, but that's not how TSA works.

It has been a while since TSA has had a HUGE infusion of taxpayer $$$$, so the appropriate pockets are getting lined with taxpayer's money. TSA is desperate to get the insanely expensive new CT scanners for the checkpoint, even though CT scanners in the baggage area still can't clear things like books, stacks of paper, or LGAs. There's no indication that the CT scanners will improve the checkpoint experience, but they will definitely provide $$$$ to TSA HQ. In the meantime, TSA continues to encourage slowdowns and delays that have nothing to do with the scanners, hoping pax dissatisfaction will lead Congress to shell out for the scanners that won't improve throughput anyway.

Then there are the bonuses. You bet TSA is spreading scare stories amongst the peons. The bonuses are getting larger and larger, but they have come under Congressional scrutiny. TSA is desperate to improve its test scores (even though they will still get $10K+ bonuses). TSA violated its own regulations and bent the rules to give an under-peforming manager $70K in bonuses over a three-year period - $70K when he failed at the single task he was assigned. The bonuses are routinely in the thousands of dollars, and I'm told even LTSOs and STSOs see bonuses that large (and are quite disappointed that other government agencies like the VA don't issue such large bonuses). FSDs in particular get huge annual bonuses, but even at TSA, it's hard to justify a $15K bonus for the FSD of MSP after a 95% failure rate on finding contraband.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
So if you didn't know what year this was, and for some reason, you were transported back to late 2008 or 2009, then taken back today to compare, would you be able to tell a difference in the overall operations or attitude?
I would say yes, as it seems the stress on individual screeners to perform is growing. They are being given more and more to do, lines are growing longer and passengers more irate. These factors all add up to an unpleasant experience for both screeners and passengers at checkpoints.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It's the Red Team failures and the bonuses.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
Increased authority to confiscate or damage pax belongings at the checkpoint or in checked baggage. There are no longer rules - there is only the screener's 'final say' and increasingly TSA makes it clear that HQ imposes few if any binding rules or strategies. TSA now openly acknowledges that the 'slight variations' in the rules between screeners or airports really means that things that are 'generally allowed' can still be confiscated at any time by any screener for no reason.
To be fair, though, hasn't it always been that way – up to the screener's discretion – for a long time now? I seem to remember reports of random items being confiscated as far back as maybe 2006 or 2005, and the words "screener discretion" look so familiar and have done so for a while now?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I walked up to an agent at the Pre-Check line at RDU this week. I was looking him in the eye and I said hello as I handed over my DL and BP. I then was on my phone. The agent first said "First Name/Last Name?" to which I said "yes". Then he said "look at me" and held my license up next to my face to check me against my picture as his eyes flicked back and forth for 15 seconds. I'm not used to an agent working so hard to verify I'm me. They usually glance up once, sign the BP and I'm on my way and they don't usually sound out my name.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have definitely become more arrogant at an increasingly faster pace. I think this hs to do with a lack of political appointees in senior positions and no congressional oversight of any kind. You have a bunch of career SESs with nothing to fear who are implementing everything they have been wanting to do for a very long time.

We also have to remember that an organization like the TSA must keep inventing threats in order to remain relevant and survive.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
I walked up to an agent at the Pre-Check line at RDU this week. I was looking him in the eye and I said hello as I handed over my DL and BP. I then was on my phone. The agent first said "First Name/Last Name?" to which I said "yes". Then he said "look at me" and held my license up next to my face to check me against my picture as his eyes flicked back and forth for 15 seconds. I'm not used to an agent working so hard to verify I'm me. They usually glance up once, sign the BP and I'm on my way and they don't usually sound out my name.
Was he friendly, and did he say hello back?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
They have definitely become more arrogant at an increasingly faster pace. I think this hs to do with a lack of political appointees in senior positions and no congressional oversight of any kind. You have a bunch of career SESs with nothing to fear who are implementing everything they have been wanting to do for a very long time.

We also have to remember that an organization like the TSA must keep inventing threats in order to remain relevant and survive.
Nail Head.

TSA wants to justify any budget requests, expansion efforts, and others actions to spread TSA's tentacles as widely as possible.

TSA is a perfect example of government out of control.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:06 pm

so basically, we (tax payers) fund this whole tsa operation so they can grope us?

nice way to make a living

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.