Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Interesting... Chicago Airport Cops Declare that They Aren't Real Cops

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting... Chicago Airport Cops Declare that They Aren't Real Cops

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by chollie
If someone isn't capable of following a simple direction like 'remove the word police from your uniform', I certainly don't think they can be trusted with bigger tasks, like removing pax from planes.

I think that is a very unfair statement that quite simply doesn't comport with the facts. But why let facts get in the way of an opportunity to disparage...

It is not that they weren't capable. It is understandable the employees and their union didn't agree to the change when they rightly believed they were law enforcement officers because the state regulators certified them as law enforcement officers and certified their employer as a law enforcement agency.

That is the same state regulator that although it just recently rescinded their recognition as certified as law enforcement officers and the certification of their employer as law enforcement agency while at the SAME time says the employees certification as law enforcement officers remains on the record.

But most importantly, to remove that word from the employer supplied uniforms, patches, equipment and vehicles decals/paint means the employer had to provide the new uniforms, patches, equipment and vehicles decals/paint to make the change. Blaming the employees for the employer not carrying out the employer's own instruction doesn't seem quite fair...

forgot to add: the instruction was issued BEFORE the Board of Police Standards issued their rescission of recognition.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
I think that is a very unfair statement that quite simply doesn't comport with the facts. But why let facts get in the way of an opportunity to disparage...

It is not that they weren't capable. It is understandable the employees and their union didn't agree to the change when they rightly believed they were law enforcement officers because the state regulators certified them as law enforcement officers and certified their employer as a law enforcement agency.

That is the same state regulator that although it just recently rescinded their recognition as certified as law enforcement officers and the certification of their employer as law enforcement agency while at the SAME time says the employees certification as law enforcement officers remains on the record.

But most importantly, to remove that word from the employer supplied uniforms, patches, equipment and vehicles decals/paint means the employer had to provide the new uniforms, patches, equipment and vehicles decals/paint to make the change. Blaming the employees for the employer not carrying out the employer's own instruction doesn't seem quite fair...

forgot to add: the instruction was issued BEFORE the Board of Police Standards issued their rescission of recognition.
Superiors of these people told them to remove the words "Police" from their uniforms. Some didn't obey that order so I think Chollie is on target. That they might not agree with their superiors doesn't matter and is a battle to be fought out of public view.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jul 17, 2017 at 3:49 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Superiors of these people told them to remove the words "Police" from their uniforms. Some didn't obey that order so I think Chollie is on target. That they might not agree with their superiors doesn't matter and is a battle to be fought behind the out of public view.
So, what should they have done until the employer provides the new uniforms, patches, decals and paint - just use magic marker and masking tape over the words?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:02 pm

The point is not that regular police would have done a better job wrt using excessive force on Dr. Dao--that's debatable, since some regular Chicago police seem able to rise to or exceed that level of excessive force (ask Laquan McDonald).

The point is that there was never any intention for these employees to have roles as sworn officers of the law. They in fact were not/are not sworn in, are not covered by qualified immunity like real LEOs, don't carry weapons, etc. So, they were not/are not LEOs regardless of their qual/creds/training that you mention.

It's a benefit to everyone, even to these aviation security employees, that it be made clear these folks are NOT police.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, what should they have done until the employer provides the new uniforms, patches, decals and paint - just use magic marker and masking tape over the words?
Buy whatever uniform items they need to comply with directives.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
They should have done what any fast food worker knows enough to do when given an order they don't know how to comply with: ASK.

I haven't heard these guys suggesting that someone in their chain of command ordered them to disregard the order to stop using the word 'police'. I haven't heard that any of them approached their management about the best way to comply with the directive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.