Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Screener discretion" and "Final say"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
You have a choice to check them, take them to your car, or abandon them. Take them back to go check them, rip the wrappers off, take a bite from each one, then tell the screener you changed your mind and want to abandon them.
In theory one has a "choice" - but not if the screener just confiscates items as we know happens very often.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
In theory one has a "choice" - but not if the screener just confiscates items as we know happens very often.
Exactly! Really sad situation we are in.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
I like to travel with 3 or 4 granola bars in my back pack, but under final say I have no idea if they will be taken away. Can I at least stand there and watch them go into the trashcan, or into the screener's pockets? I'm in RDU, BTW.
TSA took away her mascara because it wasn't in a Freedom/Kippie bag.

I asked a TSA agent at LAX to throw away my item while I watched. She refused.

Last edited by petaluma1; Jul 16, 2017 at 7:22 am
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
And in theory we know that TSA screeners don't sexually assault travelers but real world experience proves that wrong. My point was, if a screener confiscates a food item try to find a way ruin it. I'd bet dollars to donuts that confiscated items do find its way into screeners pockets
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:13 am

And in theory we know that TSA screeners don't sexually assault travelers but real world experience proves that wrong. My point was, if a screener confiscates a food item try to find a way ruin it. I'd bet dollars to donuts that confiscated items do find its way into screeners pockets
Doesn't TSA grab them on their side of the belt, giving you no chance to dispose of them?

Edit: Dr. zitsky says, "Don't worry about it. I've never had a problem. [Why would you?]

Last edited by zitsky; Jul 16, 2017 at 11:20 am
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
...A very unhappy important looking man came into our presence asking what the problem was. The screener said that I was trying to take drill bits on the plane. I said the screener was an idiot because it was screwdriver bits and not drill bits. Well, I did not say idiot, but I did not say he was a genius either. Anyway, the FSM overruled him and said they were OK. However, he gave the screener permission to check everything in my bag. Everything. He used enough little swabs on a stick to wax a Lincoln. It took a loooooong time, but I had plenty and I was enjoying this. The FSM stood there the whole time. In the end, I thanked him for coming, but he did not seem to have gotten a bit happier.
Several years ago, I actually called a TSA screener an idiot. I was flying and I had a bullet key chain. Keep in mind this was a souvenior key chain that traveled all over the world with me. He said I wasn't allowed to carry ammunition through a checkpoint. Um, its a keychain and I have never had a problem before (including that same checkpoint). That didn't sway him and I said, "you all are a bunch of idiots." That apparently didn't sit well and he called over a coworker and told him I called him an idiot. Then he called over a local police officer. After a short lecture about not calling TSA screeners idiots, he let me go to my gate. And he threw away my key chain.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Several years ago, I actually called a TSA screener an idiot. I was flying and I had a bullet key chain. Keep in mind this was a souvenior key chain that traveled all over the world with me. He said I wasn't allowed to carry ammunition through a checkpoint. Um, its a keychain and I have never had a problem before (including that same checkpoint). That didn't sway him and I said, "you all are a bunch of idiots." That apparently didn't sit well and he called over a coworker and told him I called him an idiot. Then he called over a local police officer. After a short lecture about not calling TSA screeners idiots, he let me go to my gate. And he threw away my key chain.
I also have called at least one of them an idiot. I had a guy reply, "What did you say?" I responded with, "You heard me..."

Back in the wanding days, I had a clerk use the wand on my bare arms & legs (wearing shorts in the summer). I told him, "Do you realize you look like a complete idiot wanding bare skin?"
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Several years ago, I actually called a TSA screener an idiot. I was flying and I had a bullet key chain. Keep in mind this was a souvenior key chain that traveled all over the world with me.
Until impaneled on a Federal Jury I didn't know that a single spent shell casing was considered ammunition under Federal Law, ok if you are a convicted felon.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:53 am

So your counsel would be to just lay back and enjoy it, right?

When a person challenges a screeners authority or knowledge of SOP that does cause the screener to "look bad". It shows that they don't know their job nearly as well as they think they do. It could lead to a remark on an evaluation or extra attention from management.
we really dont care if you challenge us. The sup or screening manager will let it go just to get rid of you whiners. After you leave we make fun of you. All in a days work
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:32 pm

Well, to be fair, after we leave we make fun of you too. And there's a lot more of us.

All in a day's actual, real work instead of Kabuki theater.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caughtinthemiddle
we really dont care if you challenge us. The sup or screening manager will let it go just to get rid of you whiners. After you leave we make fun of you. All in a days work
What is a screening manager? LTSO, STSO or TSM?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by caughtinthemiddle
Well, judging by the number of confiscations of harmless and permitted items, punitive gropes, and baseless police calls, I'd hazard a guess that those who DO care about having their "discretion" and "final say" challenged when it violates the rules, seem to outnumber those who don't.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by JoeBas
Well, to be fair, after we leave we make fun of you too. And there's a lot more of us.

All in a day's actual, real work instead of Kabuki theater.
This comment makes me wish that we had "Like" buttons!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
This comment makes me wish that we had "Like" buttons!
^^
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
I like to travel with 3 or 4 granola bars in my back pack, but under final say I have no idea if they will be taken away. Can I at least stand there and watch them go into the trashcan, or into the screener's pockets? I'm in RDU, BTW.
Maybe you can, maybe you can't. From He Who Must Not Be Named at the blog:

TSOs have a set process they follow. The disposal process at each airport is designed and implemented by that airport. TSA has regulations that determine what happens to the different types of items, but the actual process of walking the item from voluntary surrender by the passenger, to final disposition is different at each airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.