Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Ever Had An Accident On The Way To The Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Anyone Ever Had An Accident On The Way To The Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:58 am

Happened yesterday! Plane hits car on the 405 in CA

Happened yesterday.
Small Plane Crashes on 405 Freeway Near John Wayne Airport; 2 Hospitalized.

The pilot and passenger survived. A Fire Captain who had his car clipped by the plane was able to pull both the Pilot and his wife out of the wreckage. The Fire Captain was on his way home to begin a family trip....He called his wife to state he would be a little late, "Why she asked?" I got hit by a plane, "Yeah right", "Honey go turn on the news". Hopefully that answers your question.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I wonder how many planes have crashed into cars on the way to the airport?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:16 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
I have a story involving some bad seafood the night before, but it's the wrong kind of accident.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Yes, it happened to us just a few months ago. Normally we fly out of LFT but in this case we flew from MSY due to reward ticket availability down to Grand Cayman on AA via MIA. This was a vacation trip.

We had an afternoon departure from MSY and had time for lunch before our flight. So we went to Drago's in nearby Metairie for BBQ oysters. Following an excellent meal, we were making our way back to I-10 and the airport and were stopped at a red light. And a pickup truck hit our Lexus from behind.

Fortunately, he was not traveling fast, no one was injured and the damage to our SUV was minor. We exchanged information but I did not call the police - there simply wasn't time and we would probably have been delayed at least a day had we missed our flight.

So we are now rolling on to the freeway heading to the airport with not much time to spare....and were confronted by a state police check point on the onramp randomly having vehicles pull over for a chat. The officer took one look at us and then motioned us on. We made our flight and it all worked out.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Yes! When my daughter was in high school, she wanted to look at some colleges in Minnesota, so we made reservations and appointments.

The day we were supposed to leave, a sporting event had to be rescheduled to that day. She was able to attend in the morning, but then we would have to rush. Two or 3 other minor things got in the way that should have told us "don't go"...but we ignored them all.

On the way to the LAX we got into a 4 car fender bender on the 405. No injuries, minor damage, but it was like "boy, we should have listened to what the fates were telling us".
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
I've yet again been told 'you are more likely to have an accident on the way to the airport than you are to be in a plane accident.'

So, has anyone ever been involved in an accident on the way to an airport?

I've seen people say that they've been in a plane accident, but never anyone having been in an accident on the way to the airport....
Car accidents are so common, most would not come to FT to report.

Plane incident are less common and unfortunately more spectacular, so trend to get more visibility.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Car accidents are so common, most would not come to FT to report.
Yup! That's why I asked

Plane incident are less common and unfortunately more spectacular, so trend to get more visibility.
Very much so. But, that doesn't in itself mean that car accidents on the way to the airport are more common. The frequent claim that more people are kicked to death by donkeys than die in plane accidents appears to be false. I was curious about the 'more likely to die in an accident on the way to the airport.'

Note that my question isn't 'who has died on the way to the airport?' for obvious reasons.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:50 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Is it an African or a European member?

Erm, it doesn't give me anything conclusive, but it certainly gives me more meaningful results than polling a single person.

Have you seen the formula for the standard error of the mean? A survey of four people will give half the error of a survey of one. A survey of nine people will give me one third of the error of a survey of one.

A survey of 36 people will give me an expected error of one sixth of that obtained by polling one person.

There are quite a few people reading threads. A straw poll here isn't conclusive (nor did I expect it to be.) But, it's going to be an order of magnitude better than polling one person.
Made me ponder "Estimating the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow"
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijkh
Made me ponder "Estimating the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow"
The more swallows you measure, the closer you will be, on average, to the true airspeed of an unladen swallow. If you can measure a sufficient numbers of african and european swallows, a student's t-test should be useful to determine if there is a significant difference in speed.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The more swallows you measure, the closer you will be, on average, to the true airspeed of an unladen swallow. If you can measure a sufficient numbers of african and european swallows, a student's t-test should be useful to determine if there is a significant difference in speed.
What is a laden swallow.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:20 pm

Some years ago I was flying out of SYR on an early morning flight to PHX. I believe in was in October when deer are mating. We sure enough I totaled my Jeep after striking one on the NYS thruway. My wife and I ended up arriving at the airport in a flat bed tow truck. Fortunately the troopers and tow truck arrived promptly and we made our flight. These type of accidents may not happen frequently but they do happen.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:12 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Yes, in Brunei...fortunately, it was minor.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
One more data point

I was in a taxi with three colleagues, on the highway heading to the airport in TLS. The car in front of us slowed down suddenly; our taxi driver slowed to avoid hitting it; the car behind us didn't slow quite as much and rear-ended the taxi. Fortunately no one was hurt, the taxi pulled off to a shoulder and called his company, and another taxi arrived for us in a few minutes.

I've never been in an aircraft accident.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What is a laden swallow.
I don't know if your question is serious or not, but in case it is:
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by us2
I have a story involving some bad seafood the night before, but it's the wrong kind of accident.
Yours probably involved avgas, so, maybe it's not....
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A friend of mine was in an Uber on the way to PHX a couple weeks ago and they were hit from behind. By the time the cops got there to do their report, a replacement Uber arrived and they extracted her bags from the crushed trunk she'd missed her flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.