Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not breast milk but baby food

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Not breast milk but baby food

My wife (@nataliediscala) and I just got secondary searched because of our son's baby food. @TSA had to call in the Explosives Unit! #SEA
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Got full pat down b/c my toddler had sippy cup of milk. Next to 2 other mothers getting same. Wow-this is so necessary for safety?! @TSA
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
This seems to make it clear that this is coming from HQ and probably being taught at the 'academy'.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This has been going on for years and years now. Ever since the government's war on water and other generally harmless liquids and gels was launched at US airports, I've been seeing this take place. It's part of the TSA's taught and instituted ways.

Diarrhea/feces-filled diapers on babies seem to get a pass from the TSA in a way that baby food doesn't.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:16 am
Original Poster

More on the episode with bomb squad & baby food

Supposedly, my phone tested for some kind of chemical and set off their alarm. And because Natalie touched it and her unopened bottles of baby food tested positive too, they said they had to call in – get this – the Explosives Unit! I thought it was a joke and I was on some kind of Candid Camera show but sadly, it wasn’t.
Read more at: http://www.johnnyjet.com/tsa-called-explosives-unit/
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This Guy Is COMPLETELY BAINWASHED!

Originally Posted by petaluma1
This is why it's a hard fight to reign in the TSA. This guy bought the lies hook, line and sinker:

The agent then started giving me attitude since I wasn’t in a hurry like most other travelers and I don’t think he wanted to take the time to do the pat down and bag search. I don’t really blame him.

<snip>

Fortunately, she was immediately put at ease by the Explosives Unit agent who really couldn’t have been any nicer and probably sensed it was a false positive when he saw us. He had everything tested and run through the X-ray again, and had our carry-on bags hand searched.

<snip>

Be polite to the agents but if they question the amount of food or medicine you’re traveling with, ask for a supervisor.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:56 am

Sickening.

30 minute retaliatory search. Sadly, if this fellow thinks being polite to these TSOs is going to mean they'll pay it forward to other pax, he's wrong. They won't. Nor will the other TSOs, LTSOs and STSOs participating in this cr*p or standing around watching it and not saying anything.

BTW - they paid for Precheck but didn't get it because it was closed.

It looks to me like TSA has now made it mandatory to 'punish' pax who insist on taking things like medical LGAs > 3.4 oz. or breast milk or baby food. The new policy appears to be: "We don't like dealing with breast milk and medical LGAs, so we will confiscate items that we publicly say are allowed unless you submit to a genital- and butt-crack probe".

Last edited by chollie; Jul 3, 2017 at 10:05 am
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
It looks to me like TSA has now made it mandatory to 'punish' pax who insist on taking things like medical LGAs > 3.4 oz. or breast milk or baby food. The new policy appears to be: "We don't like dealing with breast milk and medical LGAs, so we will confiscate items that we publicly say are allowed unless you submit to a genital- and butt-crack probe".
That certainly would explain my encounter with them last November with medical liquids. Until then it had been handled reasonably--identify them as medical, wave their strip (it wasn't sterile stuff, opening it wasn't a problem) and that was that. November I got a full search of the bag and a grope besides.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Sickening.

30 minute retaliatory search. Sadly, if this fellow thinks being polite to these TSOs is going to mean they'll pay it forward to other pax, he's wrong. They won't. Nor will the other TSOs, LTSOs and STSOs participating in this cr*p or standing around watching it and not saying anything.

Being rude or aggressive toward someone increases the chances of the target of such rudeness or aggression having increased stress levels and directing that stress at others thereafter too.

I am a very firm believer in challenging what should be challenged but doing so in a way where pointing the finger of blame at me for the challenge just speaks to those peddling bad approaches and to those providing cover for those peddling bad approaches. Ratcheting up the stress level of others generally does have negative downstream consequences that include "passing it forward", and I'm really not interested in being part of that when it's ineffective. So this kind of thinking does inform my actions when dealing with situations of this sort.

I've been around plenty of "security" screening incidents involving breast milk and other nourishment needs for infants/toddlers and had to deal with some ridiculous approaches from airport "security" screeners in the US and UK -- nowhere else in the developed world is as bad as the US and LHR in this regard -- but have never seen a need to lower myself to the level of stupidity and aggressiveness that I encounter from some of these screeners. Some of these screeners -- with or without children in their own lives -- have little to no experience of frequently traveling long distances by air and yet try to determine how much nourishment a child needs for a trip, even so much as to try to mess up the passengers' trip. And yet even in those situations, I have found ways to make the issue the screeners' actions rather than my own too.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:22 am

This is extraordinarily stupid, but TSA HQ will defend the practice.

A screener checks meds or breast milk and decides they are conditionally 'safe'.

If they are 'safe', then what the h*ll difference does quantity make?

It's flat out bullying and abuse of power, but so many TSOs at so many airports do it that I can only conclude it is part of TSA training. The odds of so many TSOs being so incredibly stupid about this one point are just too small to believe they all make it up on their own.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is extraordinarily stupid, but TSA HQ will defend the practice.

A screener checks meds or breast milk and decides they are conditionally 'safe'.

If they are 'safe', then what the h*ll difference does quantity make?

It's flat out bullying and abuse of power, but so many TSOs at so many airports do it that I can only conclude it is part of TSA training. The odds of so many TSOs being so incredibly stupid about this one point are just too small to believe they all make it up on their own.
I have no trouble believing the screeners make it up on their own.

I believe the evidence is clear that TSA is bankrupt professionally, ethically, and morally. I have no respect for such.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:39 am

I'm guessing there have been recent incidents of TSOs using their 'final say' and recent exercises as an excuse to steal pax snacks. There have been reports of pax being forced to remove all snacks and food at the checkpoint, granola bars and other dry goods confiscated.

Then all of a sudden, AskTSA starts fielding a lot of questions asking 1) if snacks are allowed and 2) what QUANTITY of snacks are allowed.

Usually, AskTSA is a good indicator of what TSA is doing even when TSA is denying it. (This is not the only forum where TSA is discussed) Why do women keep asking about knitting needles? Because knitters talk to each other, and TSOs do confiscate knitting needles and crochet hooks if they feel like it. People ask about cupcakes and light sabers and Harry Potter wands because all of those items are regularly confiscated and have made the news.

This tells me that there are multiple screeners out there harassing people not only on the amount of breast milk and baby food they are taking, but also the amount of snacks. Perhaps this is coming from the 'academy' training.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The author even gives the TSA a pass over ExtortionCheck being closed:

The only problem was that the TSA PreCheck lane was actually closed. I’m assuming this was because it was 2:30pm on a Thursday and not a lot of business travelers were using it at that time. But we were given a red pass so we didn’t have to take our shoes off or go through the millimeter wave scanner, but we did have to take our laptops and liquids out. Otherwise, we just had to the walk through the metal detector.

Read more at: http://www.johnnyjet.com/tsa-called-explosives-unit/
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Usually, AskTSA is a good indicator of what TSA is doing even when TSA is denying it. (This is not the only forum where TSA is discussed) Why do women keep asking about knitting needles? Because knitters talk to each other, and TSOs do confiscate knitting needles and crochet hooks if they feel like it. People ask about cupcakes and light sabers and Harry Potter wands because all of those items are regularly confiscated and have made the news.
That's a good point. I'm really surprised they don't censor half of the posts people make. It could be that:

1. They rely upon the short-term nature of Twitter and simply know that the problems will go away in just a few hours;

2. They are conditioning the public that all of this is "normal" and that the public should expect to be harassed and have things confiscated because it's about terrorists.

Remember how West, Blogdad Bob and the other <deleted> used to go out of their way to correct somebody who accused the TSA of "confiscating" something? They used to regularly roll out the "voluntarily surrender" line. When was the last time anybody read this rebuke? They no longer state that they don't "confiscate."

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 5, 2017 at 9:19 am Reason: Derogatory generalization; please refer to forum's sticky thread: "Please Read: Important Information"
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:00 am

Yeah, they have been doing a lot of word-smithing.

They no longer refer to TSA-approved locks. It's pretty clear that screeners have the 'final say' on how your bag will be opened. If they don't feel like using the keys, they cut the locks.

So now TSA refers to them as 'TSA-recognized', no longer tries to blame baggage handling machines and openly warns pax: "you want to lock your bags and we want to get into them, we'll do whatever damage we want, whether or not we 'recognize' your lock. That will teach you not to lock your bags in the US the way you do in the entire rest of the world".

Not to go OT, but I also notice regular queries about meds, both on AskTSA and other sites. It's pretty clear that I am not the only one who has been challenged about meds and the way TSOs treat them at checkpoints. One of the reasons so many people ask if pill-keepers are OK or if they need copies of their prescriptions is because TSOs have been aggressively challenging pax who don't have meds in labeled prescription bottles.

"Final say".

Last edited by chollie; Jul 5, 2017 at 9:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.