Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA find 20 pound Lobster in checked bags in Logan Terminal C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA find 20 pound Lobster in checked bags in Logan Terminal C

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by txrus
Nothing illegal about bringing a lobster onto a plane, either checked or carry on. In fact, Legal Seafood, a Boston institution which has restaurants in every terminal (before & after security) @ BOS, packs them to go for pax who buy them there (granted, the ones bought in the airport are substantially smaller than this!).

The real issue, I think, is the screener pulling the lobster out of its cooler to take a picture & then post it all over the internet...this was a checked bag & just confirms what most of here on FT already knew about screeners & their sticky fingers. Makes you wonder what else they play with from checked baggage. You'll also notice the screener isn't wearing gloves so the next bag the screener pawed thru no doubt ended up smelling like uncooked lobster
I have a severe shellfish allergy. I don't like the idea of this agent grabbing at the lobster and then potentially going through my clothes without washing his hands first. In all likelihood, nothing would happen to me. But . . .
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by chollie
Just to give you a better picture: I am not allowed to bring a camera onto company property. Very rare exceptions are granted.
transmission received. I am familiar with such places.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:35 am

Both the person who purchased the lobster and the person who provided and packed the lobster are upset by TSA taking and distributing the picture, as well they should be.

TSA's pitiful, stupid response:

“TSA will respond to the passenger’s complaint directly. During the busy summer travel season TSA officers will screen more than 2.3 million passengers per day. On occasion TSA shares images through social media to provide helpful travel tips and to better inform the traveling public about TSA’s mission.
http://whdh.com/news/woman-outraged-...r-she-shipped/

another article:

http://wtnh.com/2017/06/27/owner-of-...bster-picture/

TSA blew this one big time. :-)

Last edited by petaluma1; Jun 28, 2017 at 6:52 am
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Both the person who purchased the lobster and the person who provided and packed the lobster are upset by TSA taking and distributing the picture, as well they should be.

TSA's pitiful, stupid response:

http://whdh.com/news/woman-outraged-...r-she-shipped/
What was the 'helpful travel tip' shared w/this picture??

As far as educating the public about their mission, they actually might have succeeded if the 'mission' of this picture is to show the traveling public what happens w/their personal belongings when left in the hands of these idiots.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The message this sent loud and clear, amplified by the TSOs idiot grin, is that TSA owns us and our belongings. They don't need a valid reason to open our bags, take things out of baggies, open LGAs, stick fingers in, and then grin like this guy when they toss everything back in a mess. They can open a bag and toss the contents and damage people's things because they're having a great time, and when they do something really outrageous, why, they get to take pictures.

This is 100% the face of a TSO who cuts your lock instead of using the keys, not beause the keys are a hassle, but because he gets a charge out of busting into people's luggage and messing with the contents just because he can.

Already heard on the radio this am: how many unpublished pictures are out there of this TSO and others like him clowning around and taking pictures with women's panties and sex toys?

Someone posted a picture on twitter. They very carefully and respectfully packed a US flag in their carry-on. TSA pulled the flag out, rumpled it up, and threw it back in. It looked like a TSO blew his nose on it.

Take a good look, ladies and gentlemen (and they are). This is the face of TSA. This is the face of someone who really takes his job seriously. This is a guy who is really focused on finding threats to aviation security.

And remember: he is not in this alone. Someone else took that picture - was it a slow day and no other bags need clearing? At least one LTSO and one STSO signed off on this behavior, and someone at HQ backed it up in the blog.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
The message this sent loud and clear, amplified by the TSOs idiot grin, is that TSA owns us and our belongings. They don't need a valid reason to open our bags, take things out of baggies, open LGAs, stick fingers in, and then grin like this guy when they toss everything back in a mess. They can open a bag and toss the contents and damage people's things because they're having a great time, and when they do something really outrageous, why, they get to take pictures.

This is 100% the face of a TSO who cuts your lock instead of using the keys, not beause the keys are a hassle, but because he gets a charge out of busting into people's luggage and messing with the contents just because he can.

Already heard on the radio this am: how many unpublished pictures are out there of this TSO and others like him clowning around and taking pictures with women's panties and sex toys?

Someone posted a picture on twitter. They very carefully and respectfully packed a US flag in their carry-on. TSA pulled the flag out, rumpled it up, and threw it back in. It looked like a TSO blew his nose on it.

Take a good look, ladies and gentlemen (and they are). This is the face of TSA. This is the face of someone who really takes his job seriously. This is a guy who is really focused on finding threats to aviation security.

And remember: he is not in this alone. Someone else took that picture - was it a slow day and no other bags need clearing? At least one LTSO and one STSO signed off on this behavior, and someone at HQ backed it up in the blog.
I'm not on twitter, but I hope those who are post appropriate responses to this twit (meaning the screener ) & his behavior. And for all of those who was saying, 'well, it's just a lobster...what's the big deal?', remember these idiots also 'screen' Fido & Fluffy when they fly in the hold.

For the $8B+/yr these idiots get, we ALL have a right to expect better
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by txrus
I'm not on twitter, but I hope those who are post appropriate responses to this twit (meaning the screener ) & his behavior. And for all of those who was saying, 'well, it's just a lobster...what's the big deal?', remember these idiots also 'screen' Fido & Fluffy when they fly in the hold.

For the $8B+/yr these idiots get, we ALL have a right to expect better
Many are doing so but many more think it's funny. They are the same people who believe that TSA keeps them safe.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Has there been any report regarding whether the lobster arrived at its destination safely? I'm imagining the TSA employees tossing it back into the bag with other items and without any water for it. Or maybe they were just careless about repacking all of the customer's possessions and left the lobster forgotten on the floor, until some TSA employee remembered to take it home for dinner.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Has there been any report regarding whether the lobster arrived at its destination safely? I'm imagining the TSA employees tossing it back into the bag with other items and without any water for it. Or maybe they were just careless about repacking all of the customer's possessions and left the lobster forgotten on the floor, until some TSA employee remembered to take it home for dinner.
Allegedly, he had to take the lobster out to clear it.

We are told that the only bags that get opened for inspection are the ones flagged by the CT scanners.

So he opened the bag and took out the 'suspicious' lobster. It's an 'organic', and we all know TSA is very concerned about organics and test scores right now.

I know this is SSI, so I can only speculate. Here's a very large lobster that has been removed so it can be physically cleared.

How did the grinning TSO 'clear' the lobster when he was finished clowning around? Did he open the claws or examine the body to see if it looked like explosives were concealed somewhere on the lobster? Did he swab and test the lobster?

Or did he just take it out to see how big it was and to clown around and take selfies? Did he then just cram it back in its container after his not-so-extensive 'visual' inspection?

Seriously? That lobster didn't get its gonads diddled and its anal area probed like I have to when I fly?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lobster I have seen shipped from lobster pounds in Maine were packed in boxes with seaweed used a a liner and cushion. Also provides a moist atmosphere. No standing water.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jun 28, 2017 at 7:44 am
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:33 am

Yes, it did arrive but not packed the way it had been originally. The recipient says that next year he will drive to CT to pick it up his lobster order rather than allow it to go through TSA.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Lobster I have seen shipped from lobster pounds in Maine were packed in boxes with seaweed used a a liner and.cushion. Also provides a moist atmosphere. No standing water.
That's basically the way this one was packed until the TSA messed with it. The large lobster was on the bottom of the cooler with the smaller ones on top with saltwater cloths to keep them moist. The stupid screener put the smaller ones back in the cooler first and the larger one on top.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Yes, it did arrive but not packed the way it had been originally. The recipient says that next year he will drive to CT to pick it up his lobster order rather than allow it to go through TSA.
One (big) lobster per year? Is he eating the lobster or putting it into a koi pond?

ADDED after seeing reference to the smaller lobsters: Or is the lobster being used for scientific research?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:40 am

TSA: "We train our officers to repack bags carefully and respectfully at the 'academy'".

TSA SSI: "Our screeners have the final say on how to do their jobs".
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Lobster I have seen shipped from lobster pounds in Maine were packed in boxes with seaweed used a a liner and cushion. Also provides a moist atmosphere. No standing water.
So this TSA agent is futzing around with seaweed and a lobster, all with bare hands, then moving on to someone else's (possibly my) suitcase, touching my clothes (possibly my underthings, although they are packed in packing cubes), all with bare hands? Does he wash his hands carefully and thoroughly between these tasks? Or does he expose people to potentially lethal allergens, because . . . well, anything to keep the flying public safe from lobsters, I suppose?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.