Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Is it wrong for Congress to order State Dept to invalidate passport to N. Korea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it wrong for Congress to order State Dept to invalidate passport to N. Korea?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:57 am
Original Poster

I don't want to name names because that will turn this into a political debate.

Several members of Congress want to include a line and if passed, will "order" the Department of State to invalidate US passports for travel to North Korea. Not actually barring travel, which is impossible to do, but to include a pre-printed line in any newly-issued US passports(current and the re-designed one) to say:

"This passport is not valid for travel to North Korea, aka Democratic People's Republic of Korea(DPRK)"

Is this even constitutional to restrict the movement of US citizens? I get why they want to do it because of the recent tragic murder of a young US citizen in North Korea... but still...

How many other countries places such restrictions on their passports?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WalterSFO

Several members of Congress want to include a line and if passed, will "order" the Department of State to invalidate US passports for travel to North Korea. Not actually barring travel, which is impossible to do, but to include a pre-printed line in any newly-issued US passports(current and the re-designed one) to say:

"This passport is not valid for travel to North Korea, aka Democratic People's Republic of Korea(DPRK)"

Is this even constitutional to restrict the movement of US citizens? I get why they want to do it because of the recent tragic murder of a young US citizen in North Korea... but still...

How many other countries places such restrictions on their passports?
How was travel to Cuba restricted?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
At least in the past forty years or so, not by such language in ordinary, full validity US passports. I'll have to access passports issued in the 1960s too, but I don't recall seeing such language in ordinary US passport blanks produced and used from the Nixon-Ford years forward.

I've seen such lanaguage -- at least for some other places -- in passports issued by other countries in the world, with restrictions against travel to places run by the apartheid-era regime of South Africa and/or by Israel being the most prevalent sort of restriction for foreign passports submitted to US embassies/consulates for consular services.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 23, 2017 at 11:14 am
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
At least in the past forty years or so, not by such language in a US passport.

I wonder if Malaysian or Pakistani passport still say it's not valid for travel to Israel?

Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:18 am
Suspended

I wonder if Malaysian or Pakistani passport still say it's not valid for travel to Israel?

Lots of countries have had passports issued within the past 40 years that had language against travel to apartheid-era South Africa and/or to Israel. How they refer in passports to the areas restricted does vary still. Some "banned" countries ignore such language in passports; but a passport-holder/applicant using a passport against the conditions assigned by the relevant passport-issuing authority could be legally actionable and result in passport invalidation or even worse under the law in a jurisdiction of relevance.

Just because Congress may pass a bill that even becomes law and includes language about how the Executive should or should not issue passports doesn't necessarily mean that the law will be legally implemented by the Executive upon a bill becoming law.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Couldn't find whatever OP is referring to and it would be helpful if he provided the detail as it's hardly political to provide information which should be somewhere public if it exists.

There is already legislation pending which would require a Treasury license for any direct or indirect expenditure in PDRK with a likely subsequent action which would prohibit Treasury from issuing licenses; the Secretary of State is considering outright prohibition of travel, and there are numerous other similar considerations.

Of course Congress, which authorizes passports in the first instance, could require any language it wants on the document, but query whether that alone would matter to anybody because it is unlikely that PDRK border officials are likely to feel bound by the language.

Congress could also enforce all of this by prohibiting the use by the State Dept of funds to issue passports which do not include the language. That has been a favorite of Congress to limit Executive Branch conduct over the past decade. E.g., individuals may not possess fully auto firearms without a permit issued by ATFE. But, ATFE is prohibited from expending funds to issue the permits. So, no permits.

Last edited by Often1; Jun 23, 2017 at 11:37 am
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Couldn't find whatever OP is referring to and it would be helpful if he provided the detail as it's hardly political to provide information which should be somewhere public if it exists.

There is already legislation pending which would require a Treasury license for any direct or indirect expenditure in PDRK with a likely subsequent action which would prohibit Treasury from issuing licenses; the Secretary of State is considering outright prohibition of travel, and there are numerous other similar considerations.

Of course Congress, which authorizes passports in the first instance, could require any language it wants on the document, but query whether that alone would matter to anybody because it is unlikely that PDRK border officials are likely to feel bound by the language.

Congress could also enforce all of this by prohibiting the use by the State Dept of funds to issue passports which do not include the language. That has been a favorite of Congress to limit Executive Branch conduct over the past decade. E.g., individuals may not possess fully auto firearms without a permit issued by ATFE. But, ATFE is prohibited from expending funds to issue the permits. So, no permits.
Congress can't enforce much of anything when it comes to passports. There is the matter of the "Jerusalem in US passport" case, resolved in favor of the Executive.

Ordinary US passports are funded by user fees.

And you can bet that we will still be enabling Executive and Legislative branch and some of our other favorites to use official and diplomatic US passports to go wherever the Executive fancies we have people.

And you can bet that Congress will not dare to anger all US passport applicants by trying to shut down State on something like this (were State/POTUS even interested in opposing such language).

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 23, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Such a restriction is just more likely to cause problems when flying to South Korea, by confused agents denying a ticket.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Such a restriction is just more likely to cause problems when flying to South Korea, by confused agents denying a ticket.
Reminds me of a US airline agent at a sleepy outstation in the 1980s refusing to check in an Indian passport holder on travel to a part of Africa because the passport had a prohibition in it against South Africa.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this even constitutional to restrict the movement of US citizens?
This is a bit outside my area of expertise but, no, it should not be constitutional to restrict the movement of US citizens. Additionally, this violates separation of powers, as the State Department is under the Executive, not under the Legislative.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Travel to Cuba was never restricted. Spending money in Cuba was restricted. This was a Treasury regulation, not a State Department regulation.

Okay, but it's not hard to guess.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Travel to Cuba was mostly restricted via banning Americans from engaging in financial transactions with or in Cuba. An economic embargo, not a travel ban per se. This meant even during the heights of the Cold War, US citizens could go to Cuba as long as they didn't need to spend any money to do so or got a waiver from the Executive -- mainly Treasury OFAC -- to do so.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:16 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
This is a bit outside my area of expertise but, no, it should not be constitutional to restrict the movement of US citizens. Additionally, this violates separation of powers, as the State Department is under the Executive, not under the Legislative.
I'm not really sure what you mean here. Zemel v. Rusk clearly upheld State's refusal to validate passports for travel to Cuba. There's maybe a separation of powers issue, but it has nothing to do with restricting the movement of citizens.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
As far as I can tell, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has been considering such a ban for a couple of months. Proposed legislation in Congress would require US citizens to obtain a license from the Treasury Department to travel to North Korea and tourists would not be issued such licenses.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Didn't travel to Cuba go through such licenses in the past?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
As far as I can tell, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has been considering such a ban for a couple of months. Proposed legislation in Congress would require US citizens to obtain a license from the Treasury Department to travel to North Korea and tourists would not be issued such licenses.
Yes. He wants reduced chances of additional American visitors ending up as a North Korean bargaining chip in negotiations. Not that I find that to be a reason to make me a fan of US passports being further restricted. And my bet is that if such a restriction goes into place for one country, then sooner or later it will involve even further restrictions for yet more places.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Didn't travel to Cuba go through such licenses in the past?
OFAC licensing.

But the OFAC restrictions on Cuba and those on North Korea have never been a complete copy of each other.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...nts/nkorea.pdf

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...a_faqs_new.pdf

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 23, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.