Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Is it wrong for Congress to order State Dept to invalidate passport to N. Korea?

Is it wrong for Congress to order State Dept to invalidate passport to N. Korea?

Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Interesting issue - does such language bind US citizens in any way? Ie if the DPRK decides to allow travellers with such passports into the country, what then? Can anyone be prosecuted in the US for travelling to a country where the passport is not valid for?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Interesting issue - does such language bind US citizens in any way? Ie if the DPRK decides to allow travellers with such passports into the country, what then? Can anyone be prosecuted in the US for travelling to a country where the passport is not valid for?
If a US citizen is stupid enough to want to visit the DPRK, I'm thinking that fear of prosecution in the US the going to be the least of his worries.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:07 pm

Yes, these two countries still restrict travel to Israel. BTW I do know there are ways that nationals get around it.--but beyond the purview of this forum.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
If a US citizen is stupid enough to want to visit the DPRK, I'm thinking that fear of prosecution in the US the going to be the least of his worries.
I personally know at least a few friends who visited North Korea with zero issues. Of course, they were citizens of the UK, Germany and Liechtenstein... I assume North Korean has beef with USA and its citizens....
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:43 pm

I do think by making some sort of provision restricting US citizens from entering N. Korea, it will help deter a lot of people and will also stop giving any money to that awful country. I am sorry but there is absolutely no reason to go there unless youre trying to make some undercover documentary with the possibility of getting imprisoned or killed.
There are plenty of things that are illegal that are far less serious that people have no issue with so this is something that should be a no brainer
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I'm not really sure what you mean here. Zemel v. Rusk clearly upheld State's refusal to validate passports for travel to Cuba. There's maybe a separation of powers issue, but it has nothing to do with restricting the movement of citizens.
As I said, it's outside my area of expertise. I just skimmed Zemel. It is, of course, still good law, but I wonder whether another SC, including the present one, would decide it the same way.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Exclamation

Originally Posted by WalterSFO
I wonder if Malaysian passports still say it's not valid for travel to Israel?

[/IMG]
Restrictions on Malaysian Passports is nothing new, although the destination(s) restricted have changed!

Back in the late 50s /early 60s many Malaysian students were being issued passports for travel to the UK to attend the Malayan Teachers Training Colleges at Kirkby, Liverpool and at Brinsford Lodge near Wolverhampton.

All or most of these passports bore the inscription that they were not valid for travel to China, Hong Kong or Taiwan.

Times have sure changed!
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Why would it be stupid? What happened to Warmbier is very sad, but what he did was also very, very stupid. First rule of for foreign travel: Follow the rules of the host country. Second rule for foreign travel: If there's any question, ask first. This is particularly true if you're visiting a totalitarian country. Hundreds of Americans have visited North Korea with no problem. Though it's not first on my list of places I want to visit, I would like the opportunity to see North Korea. And I wouldn't be stupid enough to do what poor Warmbier did.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:18 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Having traveled to north Korea on my US passport I don't see this even affecting anything. The dprk booklet visa you get is all they care about. That's what they ask for when you check in for your air koryo flight. In Pyongyang they opened up my passport briefly. The stamping was done on the booklet. Then they take your passport at the hotel front desk. Your minders give it back to you at the airport where your visa booklet gets taken away by the border patrol officer and you are on your way. As long as you still have someone to arrange your visa I don't think the dprk will care one bit what the state department writes in your passport.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:30 pm

Well, my current MYS passports still says the same.

Although its pretty much useless because Israel still accepts entry via 3rd party countries. That said, the Home Ministry in Malaysia does issue authorizations for Msians to enter Israel under religious reasons if they're done via Churches.

Another common reason is due companies requesting for it ie. Intel, which has facilities in Malaysia and Israel.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: gate lice
I don't understand why such a ban is necessary.

The State Department makes it very clear that you should avoid certain countries if possible and undertake such travel at your own risk.

If you ask me, State should add a paragraph to the North Korea travel warning that U.S. citizens will not receive any assistance whatsoever if they travel to NK of their own accord. If the U.S. govt were to offer some sort of concession -- sanctions relief, for example -- in exchange for the freedom of jailed Americans, that would simply encourage NK to lock up or even kidnap Westerners for leverage.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:13 am
KCK

Whether or not such a passport would be valid for travel to North Korea really depends on North Korea, not the United States.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KCK
Whether or not such a passport would be valid for travel to North Korea really depends on North Korea, not the United States.
Indeed. Just like the US can say a passport is required for US citizens to go from the US to Canada, but Canada can still admit US citizens at Canadian ports of entry into even without a passport as it wishes. But there are ways for a government to try to frustrate the international travel of its own citizens, beyond just applying language in a passport to try to do so.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by PTravel
Why would it be stupid? What happened to Warmbier is very sad, but what he did was also very, very stupid. First rule of for foreign travel: Follow the rules of the host country. Second rule for foreign travel: If there's any question, ask first. This is particularly true if you're visiting a totalitarian country. Hundreds of Americans have visited North Korea with no problem. Though it's not first on my list of places I want to visit, I would like the opportunity to see North Korea. And I wouldn't be stupid enough to do what poor Warmbier did.
Expert opinion is increasingly of the mind that the entire robbery incident was staged (yes, including the video of a shadowy individual) as an ex post facto justification to seize him the day sanctions were imposed.

There's a twofold risk in NK: people who verifiably break laws (the bible guy that got really roughed up); those designated at random to be political pawns. The first group is a tedious issue for the USDoS and the Swedes, but the latter is a nightmare.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: gate lice
On the legal front, this bill has been formally introduced to the House as H.R. 2732, sponsored by Rep. Schiff (D-CA 28th) and cosponsored by Rep. Wilson (R-SC 2nd). It's been referred to the House foreign affairs committee.

Sen. Corker (R-TN), chairman of the Senate foreign relations committee, has expressed support for such a ban on travel to NK, but no corresponding legislation has been introduced in the Senate thus far.

The formal language of the bill suggests that it'll be a Cuba-style economic sanction by forcing the Treasury Dept to stop any monetary transaction related to travel to NK. The proposed NK travel ban also includes LPRs as well as citizens. There's a 5-year sunset clause in the bill.

Full text of the bill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.