Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Police Officer stabbed at Flint, Michigan Airport (landside)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/21/us/fli...ing/index.html

Police officer stabbed at Flint Airport (FNT). Occurred landside, attacker reported to be targeting law enforcement.

Cue renewal of 'curb-to-gate' security discussion.

I also expect we'll hear about renewed calls to make TSA screeners official LEO's based on concerns for their presumed vulnerability.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate to bring this up, but I hope they didn't clean his wounds with Flint tap water!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: gate lice
Actual curbside security isn't going to happen. Sniffer dogs and heavily armed guards standing outside? Perhaps. But nothing on the scale of what's being done in Nairobi, Istanbul, or Baghdad -- a layer of screening checkpoints outside of the terminal.

TSA's underfunded and understaffed as it is, and it'd be quite a burden to magically place a new system landside -- and if it happened, travelers would have to arrive much earlier. It'd require significant infrastructure changes and funding. The public wouldn't stand for it and Congress isn't going to fund it unless a major incident occurred -- not a single stabbing.

Say 15-25 guys roll in carts of luggage filled with explosives and shrapnel into the check-in areas of ORD, LAX, ATL, DFW, CLT, MIA, and a few other big airports. Let's say they do it during the evening of Dec 23rd -- plenty of families, kids -- more inexperienced travelers than usual, more chaos overall. The check-in and TSA lines are packed. Bombs in multiple airports and multiple terminals go off, and 15 minutes later, when the first responders are on the scene, a timer detonates a second round of explosives. I'm no expert, but the number of casualties would be pretty high. DHS would take curbside security very seriously.

Even if curbside checkpoints were established, what stops terrorists from attacking those very checkpoints?

If you ask me, prevention and intelligence are a far more reliable way of stopping terrorist attacks. Good old fashioned spying and snooping, not subjecting innocent travelers to multiple pat-downs.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The criminal in this incident seems to have had something work him up into a crazy frenzy. Did he try to pick off the police officer in order to be able to attack others at the airport more easily?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA is hardly underfunded or understaffed. Mismanaged, yes. Purchased questionable tech, yes. Asinine screening requirements, yes. Wasteful, yes.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by leungy18
Actual curbside security isn't going to happen. Sniffer dogs and heavily armed guards standing outside? Perhaps. But nothing on the scale of what's being done in Nairobi, Istanbul, or Baghdad -- a layer of screening checkpoints outside of the terminal.

TSA's underfunded and understaffed as it is, and it'd be quite a burden to magically place a new system landside -- and if it happened, travelers would have to arrive much earlier. It'd require significant infrastructure changes and funding. The public wouldn't stand for it and Congress isn't going to fund it unless a major incident occurred -- not a single stabbing.

Say 15-25 guys roll in carts of luggage filled with explosives and shrapnel into the check-in areas of ORD, LAX, ATL, DFW, CLT, MIA, and a few other big airports. Let's say they do it during the evening of Dec 23rd -- plenty of families, kids -- more inexperienced travelers than usual, more chaos overall. The check-in and TSA lines are packed. Bombs in multiple airports and multiple terminals go off, and 15 minutes later, when the first responders are on the scene, a timer detonates a second round of explosives. I'm no expert, but the number of casualties would be pretty high. DHS would take curbside security very seriously.

Even if curbside checkpoints were established, what stops terrorists from attacking those very checkpoints?

If you ask me, prevention and intelligence are a far more reliable way of stopping terrorist attacks. Good old fashioned spying and snooping, not subjecting innocent travelers to multiple pat-downs.
I agree with you completely and to me it's been a wonder with all the terrorists we're told are trying to get us, there has not been an attack on a checkpoint queue.

The pat downs are a show for the gullible public.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The criminal in this incident seems to have had something work him up into a crazy frenzy. Did he try to pick off the police officer in order to be able to attack others at the airport more easily?
I heard a news report stating that the bad guy asked the cop who tackled and subdued him: "Why didn't you shoot me?" It sounds like this may be a case of "suicide by cop" that went wrong.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I heard a news report stating that the bad guy asked the cop who tackled and subdued him: "Why didn't you shoot me?" It sounds like this may be a case of "suicide by cop" that went wrong.
He's had other opportunities to do this kind of thing in the US. But it's pretty hard to try to understand all that goes on in the mind of a nutcase. And being suicidal is a very strong indicator of having at least one major screw loose in the head.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/21/us/fli...ing/index.html

Police officer stabbed at Flint Airport (FNT). Occurred landside, attacker reported to be targeting law enforcement.

Cue renewal of 'curb-to-gate' security discussion.

I also expect we'll hear about renewed calls to make TSA screeners official LEO's based on concerns for their presumed vulnerability.

I hate to point this out, but the "Curb to gate" discussion has never really gone away. There are positive cases to be made on both sides of the discussion, and there is no shortage of folks willing to make those arguments in the current landscape.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
I hate to point this out, but the "Curb to gate" discussion has never really gone away. There are positive cases to be made on both sides of the discussion, and there is no shortage of folks willing to make those arguments in the current landscape.
Nothing positive from the public's perspective.

Now from the security/industrial complex that's a different story. Gotta carve out some more retirement jobs for senior DHS/TSA employees.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
He's had other opportunities to do this kind of thing in the US. But it's pretty hard to try to understand all that goes on in the mind of a nutcase. And being suicidal is a very strong indicator of having at least one major screw loose in the head.
Years ago, I was in a conversation with a senior (at that time) U.S. counterintelligence official. He said, "Reality is what you perceive it to be." I agree that this is a complex situation. All it can take is for someone to stop taking their meds.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Years ago, I was in a conversation with a senior (at that time) U.S. counterintelligence official. He said, "Reality is what you perceive it to be." I agree that this is a complex situation. All it can take is for someone to stop taking their meds.
He crossed into the US in upstate New York. On a trip between upstate NY and FNT, there are lots of people. I expect we won't hear a whole lot about more highway to airport curb security anytime soon from those who are eager to exploit such incidents too to peddle a narrative conveniently biased to serve their own narrow interests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.