Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA let's minor walk through security with no screening at all?!?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA let's minor walk through security with no screening at all?!?!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
If it's a Precheck lane and the WTMD is next to the belt, other posters are suggesting she walked through the WTMD and didn't realize it. If she was in a Precheck lane, she wouldn't have to take her shoes off. If she didn't alarm, she would keep walking to the end of the belt, grab her things and go.

eta: oops! I was typing as you were posting! Never mind!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She could have been selected for Pre Check at the checkpoint. It's called Managed Inclusion. Some people get Pre Check printed on their boarding pass also. That would entail WTMD but not having to remove shoes. The metal detector does not require a person to stop or anything, just walk through and if no alarm move on. Another possibility is that TSA thought she was younger than her true age and let her use the WTMD. I highly doubt that that she walked around screening. If she did that is a serious security breach and should be reported to the DHS OIG.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvatage
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
She could have been selected for Pre Check at the checkpoint. It's called Managed Inclusion. Some people get Pre Check printed on their boarding pass also. That would entail WTMD but not having to remove shoes. The metal detector does not require a person to stop or anything, just walk through and if no alarm move on. Another possibility is that TSA thought she was younger than her true age and let her use the WTMD. I highly doubt that that she walked around screening. If she did that is a serious security breach and should be reported to the DHS OIG.
She had pre-check (she always gets it for some reason), but the rest of our party didn't have pre so we stuck together and went through the regular screening (like we did a few years ago at CLT in which we were all screened). Again, she said she walked beside 2 screening devices. The big imaging one and the smaller X-ray arch.

So she just told me they gave her some piece of paper and told her "If you show this to them they will you through." What in the world?!?!

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 18, 2017 at 8:33 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member for readability
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bigboy61

She had pre-check (she always gets it for some reason), but the rest of our party didn't have pre so we stuck together and went through the regular screening (like we did a few years ago at CLT in which we were all screened). Again, she said she walked beside 2 screening devices. The big imaging one and the smaller X-ray arch.
I suspect that "the smaller X-ray arch" was a metal detector. I hope TSA isn't sending people (or animals) through their X-ray machines.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that "the smaller X-ray arch" was a metal detector. I hope TSA isn't sending people (or animals) through their X-ray machines.
Whoops. That wouldn't be good Yes, the metal detector.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So she just told me they gave her some piece of paper and told her "If you show this to them they will you through." What in the world?!?!
The paper was probably an indication that she should get "PreCheck Lite" treatment. I'm guessing that TSA wasn't operating a dedicated PreCheck lane at the airport. The paper should have entitled her to keep on shoes and a light jacket and to go through the metal detector rather than the nude-o-scope.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Code:
 I
The paper was probably an indication that she should get "PreCheck Lite" treatment. I'm guessing that TSA wasn't operating a dedicated PreCheck lane at the airport. The paper should have entitled her to keep on shoes and a light jacket and to go through the metal detector rather than the nude-o-scope.
The airport had pre-check. I know becuase we accidentally got in that lane first . They still told her she didn't need to go through the metal detector. She started too and they said she didn't need too.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:58 pm

If you report this right way and know the approximate time that sister went through TSA security as well as a description of how she was dressed, someone should be able to check the closed circuit TV tapes and verify/correct what happened. It's shocking that she was told not to go through the metal detector, versus somehow managing to walk around it.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

If you report this right way and know the approximate time that sister went through TSA security as well as a description of how she was dressed, someone should be able to check the closed circuit TV tapes and verify/correct what happened. It's shocking that she was told not to go through the metal detector, versus somehow managing to walk around it.
Interesting, right? She is 17 so it's not like she is under 13. We knew something was up becuase we have traveled before with her having pre and going through normal screening. They made her take off her go through the scanner. Where do you report this?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:06 pm

Twitter and re-tweet to the local news.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
Twitter and re-tweet to the local news.
Actually, no one in our family has Twitter. Facebook, yes but no Twitter.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:15 pm

SIgn up for twitter. When people post serious screening failures like this, there is a virtually immediate response from TSA asking for more details. The general public also realizes there is an issue. Two people who went very public and got big responses from TSA were Amy Van Dyken (wheelchair bound former Olympian) and Kristen Beck (a trans-gender ex-Navy Seal). If they had just used the website or FB, their complaints would have been ignored.
There is another site - OIG - that can actually hold TSA accountable - there have been reliable reports to that effect.

TSA's canned response (other than to say it never happened) will be that there are 21 layers of security and the traveling public was never in any jeopardy.

Last edited by chollie; Jun 18, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:22 pm

File a complaint with DHS IG. I don't have access to my link to complaint form but it is easy to find on line.

addendum: search for dhs IG hotline

Finally, internet service is back on and here's the link to the IG complaint form: https://hotline.oig.dhs.gov/hotline/hotline.php

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 18, 2017 at 8:34 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member for readability
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Code:
 I
The airport had pre-check. I know becuase we accidentally got in that lane first . They still told her she didn't need to go through the metal detector. She started too and they said she didn't need too.
Just to be sure we're all talking about the same things.

TSA Walk Through Metal Detector

TSA Body Scanner

Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
The chronic complaining is quite something. Last year we were treated to the accusatory claims of perverted TSA screeners when minors were patted down. Now we are told the TSA is incompetent because a minor appeared to "walk" through. Everyone is always being hard done by and everyone has a chip on his/her shoulder.

Here's a novel idea: People should stop looking for conspiracies where there are none. If there is a concern, bring it to the attention of the security personnel right away. The event could not have been too worrisome, if nothing was said or done at the time.

I expect that despite the claim of not having walked through the metal detector, that the person did indeed go through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.