TSA Installing Checkpoint CT Scanners

Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by chollie
Rats. I read something this morning that is relevant to that, but I'll never find the link.

What I read (and shouldn't have been surprised): the manufacturer says these can be used to clear LGAs and laptops without removal but it is expected that TSA will continue to insist that non-Pre pax remove all LGAs and laptops even after the new machines are installed.

I suspect one of two things is going on:

1) TSA doesn't want to use the full benefits of these extraordinarily expensive machines that we will buy solely because of the laptop threat discovered a year or more ago because it will lessen the value of Precheck and fewer people will be motivated to sign up, or

2) TSA and the manufacturer both know that once again, TSA is spending hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars for buggy equipment that doesn't actually do what they claim it will do.
I think it's a matter of time. TSA wants an easier time screening low risk passengers, but the CT scans would eliminate a lot of the risk. Previous TSA administrators say they wanted more people to sign up for Precheck because it sped up the checkpoint experience (reducing staffing needs) hence tastes of the convenience through managed inclusion, etc...

I think that the TSA is likely to insist on divestiture of liquids/gels/aerosols and laptops for the foreseeable future because most of the checkpoints in the US will still require it for a clear image, and because they are piloting the technology and want to give the technology a maximum chance to spot prohibited items while they are testing it. Once they're out of pilot and more generally available at checkpoints, I'm sure that they'll come up with some snazzy branding for it.

Quoth USA Today:

Originally Posted by USA Today
Depending how tests go, the CT technology could potentially allow travelers to leave containers of liquids and laptops in carry-on bags at all times, according to the TSA. Liquids are currently limited to 3.4-ounce containers in carry-on bags, and laptops must be removed from bags for separate screening in standard checkpoint lanes.
I am an optimist, but we'll see how the tests go.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phltraveler
I think it's a matter of time. TSA wants an easier time screening low risk passengers, but the CT scans would eliminate a lot of the risk. Previous TSA administrators say they wanted more people to sign up for Precheck because it sped up the checkpoint experience (reducing staffing needs) hence tastes of the convenience through managed inclusion, etc...

I think that the TSA is likely to insist on divestiture of liquids/gels/aerosols and laptops for the foreseeable future because most of the checkpoints in the US will still require it for a clear image, and because they are piloting the technology and want to give the technology a maximum chance to spot prohibited items while they are testing it. Once they're out of pilot and more generally available at checkpoints, I'm sure that they'll come up with some snazzy branding for it.

Quoth USA Today:

I am an optimist, but we'll see how the tests go.
I have no issue with TSA using CT scanners for carry-on items. Seems that should be for all carry-on no matter of status. It is the screening of people that troubles me. The vast majority of people present no threat. Screening should be standardized and additional screening should only be for people who alarm normal screening. If Pre Check type screening is the default initial screening then all the better. It seems most true contraband items are in luggage not on peoples bodies so screening should lean in that direction.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Honestly, I don't give a rat's arse what they use. I want to be free to travel with my nitroglycerine pills and without probing hands rubbing and chopping my genitals and probing my butt crack. I want the rest of my family to also be able to travel with their necessary meds and without invasive, rude and pointless sexual groping.

The new CT scanners aren't going to change or improve my checkpoint experience. They will probably increase my ticket taxes.

You know, I would like to be free to transit a checkpoint in the USA that shows as much respect for my body as airport security workers everywhere else in the world.

Last edited by chollie; Jun 21, 2017 at 9:09 am
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I just hope that these new machines are thoroughly tested for radiation leaks before deployment in public places at c/ps around the country.
Indeed, it is. They are testing in PHX & BOS just for now. I seeing they installed new 3D scanning technology at PHX T4, checkpoint B.

Here's a link:

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...n-two-airports

Check this out! See for yourself.

Hold it, Guys! I have a website about new 3D scanning technology. It's called L3 ClearScan. It's brand new.

Here's a link:

http://www.sds.l-3com.com/aviation-c.../ClearScan.htm

Last edited by N830MH; Jun 26, 2017 at 5:01 pm
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:19 pm

TSA Approves checkpoint (carry-on) 3D baggage scanners

Via CNBC:

Originally Posted by CNBC
After weeks of testing, the Transportation Security Administration has certified 3-D carry-on bag screeners built by Massachusetts-based Analogic. The approval clears the way for the machines to be deployed at U.S. airports.
[...]
American Airlines has already committed to spend $6 million buying and deploying the Analogic CT Connect bag screeners. Each machine costs $250,000.
The appeal of 3-D bag screeners is the ability of security officers to get a clearer view of carry-on bags. Current machines used at more than 2,500 airport security checkpoints give a two dimensional view. As a result, security officers spend more time double checking bags, and according to government tests, the officers often miss weapons in carry-on bags.
For the manufacturer's part (analogic), they claim that the scanner can eliminate the need for laptop and liquid divestiture while scanning bags quicker:
Originally Posted by Analogic
Scans up to 550 passengers per hour, twice the throughput of legacy checkpoint X-Ray
Laptops and liquids stay in bags for quicker throughput and less bin use
Hope to see this in NYC area airports soon, but I have a feeling that it will take some time...
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA will screw it up.
STBCypriot and petaluma1 like this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA will screw it up.
I can't imagine there will be less bag searches. Of course, we will never know because the TSA doesn't keep those kinds of statistics. There will be bag checks because a clerk won't be able to tell if a container of shampoo is bigger than 100ml. There will be more bag checks because they will be able to see pot and cash more easily. I can also guarantee that there won't be any less clerks at a checkpoint.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:53 pm

TSA will screw it up.
Possibly, but hope springs eternal.

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I can't imagine there will be less bag searches. Of course, we will never know because the TSA doesn't keep those kinds of statistics. There will be bag checks because a clerk won't be able to tell if a container of shampoo is bigger than 100ml. There will be more bag checks because they will be able to see pot and cash more easily. I can also guarantee that there won't be any less clerks at a checkpoint.
The main advantage of the CT scanners is they're a lot harder to fool from an automated perspective. Because the scanner gets a high resolution 3D image of whatever is being scanned, it can perform automated threat detection a lot more easily and alert the operator.

Also, one of the selling points of the CT scanner is that it can automatically calculate the mass and density of liquids/gels/aerosols in the bag. This is why 750ml of wine in your checked bag is fine (they've been using CT scanners there for many years) but in your carry on it isn't. Via Bloomberg:

CT machines provide a far more detailed picture of a bag’s contents. A spinning X-ray camera can capture more than 1,000 images of a piece of luggage from different angles, allowing a computer to create a high-definition, three-dimensional view. By calculating the densities of material, even small amounts of explosives can be automatically detected.

The same CT technology is used in machines installed at airports after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks to detect explosives in checked bags.
On the staffing levels point, no argument there...
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:15 pm

I'd posit that it might even increase the # of carry-on bags opened. Use of these machines certainly doesn't seem to have limited opening of checked bags as complaints about damage to bags or contents seems to be increasing. In fact, I would also posit the use of these machines on checked baggage has led to an increase in theft because items can be seen more easily.

Last edited by petaluma1; Sep 12, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phltraveler
Possibly, but hope springs eternal.
Yes, but I'm an optimist.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Oh, boy! Guess TSA will install new CT scanners technology at all US airports. We will see what happen. It should be so successful.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: TSA
I like what I am seeing on this new tech, there will still be things we have to check (W,E,I) but this is a pretty big leap forward for checkpoint tech. I have been asking for years why we are not putting the CT tech in the checkpoints, it gives us a better opportunity to make some changes to the LGA and other carry-on regs. I hope that it moves forward, it could be a serious improvement over the equipment now in place.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
I like what I am seeing on this new tech, there will still be things we have to check (W,E,I) but this is a pretty big leap forward for checkpoint tech. I have been asking for years why we are not putting the CT tech in the checkpoints, it gives us a better opportunity to make some changes to the LGA and other carry-on regs. I hope that it moves forward, it could be a serious improvement over the equipment now in place.
Isn't WEI all that TSA is suppose to be screening for by Federal regulation? What else would TSA be looking for? Money and illegal drugs? Perhaps someones Nitro Pills?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Isn't WEI all that TSA is suppose to be screening for by Federal regulation? What else would TSA be looking for? Money and illegal drugs? Perhaps someones Nitro Pills?
It all depends upon the model number:

The B220, B220 HT and H150 Explosives and Drug Trace Detectors (ETDs) provide fast, accurate detection of a wide variety of potential aviation threats using non-radioactive Ion Mobility Spectrometry (IMS) analysis technology. They are available in desktop and handheld models.
Interesting that L-3 and, by association, the TSA, view drugs as a "potential aviation threat[s]."
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It all depends upon the model number:

Interesting that L-3 and, by association, the TSA, view drugs as a "potential aviation threat."

I don't believe for a minute that TSA isn't actively engage in illegal drug searches. This new scanner will only enhance that capability.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.