Wiki Posts
Search

New ID checks at gate on domestic flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hertz
At Gate ID Check?

Forgot to post this. Last Friday leaving SLC for CVG TSA brought a little cart around and checked everyones ID's in the gate area before boarding. No real order to it if you didn't want to get checked you could have gotten around them I'm sure. It was just strange I've never seen it before. Has anyone else?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Did they do it as pax were boarding the plane, or did they just randomly walk up to people sitting in the gate area? If the former, yes, this is a favorite final act in the security theater performance. If the latter, no, I can't say I've seen that before... though they used to do random liquid checks. Would ask you to take the lid off your coffee (purchased in the secure area) while they waved something over it presumably to detect what was in it. I always told them to get bent.

I've also seen a variation of this rather often at JFK... after the ID check, they find 6 or 7 TSOs to line the jetbridge and do nothing but stand there looking menacing as pax file past and board the plane.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
They do it once in a while....

Note this really isn't a Delta issue.

Bob H
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hertz
It was just in the boarding area and I know its not a delta issue but since SLC is like 90% delta i thought id put it here.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:16 pm

I had a TSA ID check once in the jetway at LAX and I just walked past them without acknowledging them or presenting ID/boarding documents. They didn't stop me from boarding the aircraft.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
TSA is just trying every thick in their book to keep you safe in the air.

Ps lol.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gunney07
Forgot to post this. Last Friday leaving SLC for CVG TSA brought a little cart around and checked everyones ID's in the gate area before boarding. No real order to it if you didn't want to get checked you could have gotten around them I'm sure. It was just strange I've never seen it before. Has anyone else?
I've seen it before, a lot.

It still happens as the TSA have plenty of time and money to waste, but this kind of thing is far less frequent now at US airports than it used to be. Nowadays, they are more busy getting "intelligence" "briefings" straight from Fox News or checking out strip searched bodies or groping passenger bodies in a way that would be prosecutable if done by a stranger on the street.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
This is not DL-specifics. The thread should be in TSS forum.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta, United
ID is not needed to enter or be in secure area.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
ID is not needed to enter or be in secure area.
In what country?

TSA does that with every airline every once in a while. Some cities I see it more just due to volume of flights.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
In what country?
USA

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, due to lost items or inadvertently leaving them at home. Not having an ID, does not necessarily mean a passenger won't be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone's identity, like using publicly available databases.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL-DM
Saw TSA do that at the gate on a MCO-BOS flight........they selected random people.

Keeps us safer.....I'm all for it !
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by trvlguy1
Keeps us safer.....I'm all for it !

One of my favorite TV scenes is from an episode of The Simpsons where the city creates a Bear Patrol because a single bear got into the city.

Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm.
Lisa: That's specious reasoning, Dad.
Homer (misunderstanding the big word): Thank you, dear.
Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
Homer: Oh, how does it work?
Lisa: It doesn't work.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around, do you?
Homer (after thinking for a minute): Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

Last edited by javabytes; Jan 23, 2013 at 10:44 pm
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
In what country?
USA

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, due to lost items or inadvertently leaving them at home. Not having an ID, does not necessarily mean a passenger won't be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone's identity, like using publicly available databases.
Hate to break it to you but that's still showing some form of ID. A government issued ID with your photo is just the easiest.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL DM (Now Gold...)
At Gate ID Check?

Roll eyes as well, TSA, while well intentioned, does a very poor job of keeping us safe. And the ridiculous one size fits all approach is just the most visible example of this fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.