Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New ID checks at gate on domestic flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Epod
Once the scanning check point has confirmed that I don’t have a weapon or an explosive, why does it matter whether I’m John Smith or Joe Bloggs?
Three words: No Fly List

Your government and mine has created a secret blacklist of people so dangerous that they cannot get on a plane but who have not committed any crime and therefore cannot be arrested (or killed by drone strike) on the ground.

We live in a great nation, don't we?

(Yes, yes, we all know that it would be trivially easy to use a fake boarding pass and real ID to get around the no-fly list.)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by saulblum

Your government and mine has created a secret blacklist of people so dangerous that they cannot get on a plane but who have not committed any crime and therefore cannot be arrested (or killed by drone strike) on the ground.

(Yes, yes, we all know that it would be trivially easy to use a fake boarding pass and real ID to get around the no-fly list.)
(bolding mine)

In all fairness, do we even know what the criteria for being hit by a drone strike is now? You can be taken out without an arrest, extradition, or trial even if you are 16-years-old and related to a bad guy.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:58 am

I suggest that not only does ID not make us safer, it makes us less safe....
But don't most adults fly with an ID anyway? If you are driving to/from the airport, you need your driver's license, you might need it at the ticket counter, and you might need it if you make any credit card purchases during your trip. I'm not saying that you need to show the ID to TSA but that you likely would have some form of ID on you anyway.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saulblum

Why does TSA check ID's at the gate?

Only reason that I can come up with is that TSA leadership doesn't trust TSA screeners to do their jobs the first time.

ID Checking serves no security function and is not part of a limited administrative search for WEI.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Why does TSA check ID's at the gate?

Only reason that I can come up with is that TSA leadership doesn't trust TSA screeners to do their jobs the first time.

ID Checking serves no security function and is not part of a limited administrative search for WEI.
Two words for you: Make-work.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:38 am

If the TSA has enough screeners that they can conduct ID checks at the gate, they need to reduce their staffing. I've never seen one of these ID checks. Do the screeners check the ID's against a list or anything? If they just look at the ID and hand it back, talk about a waste of money and resources. At least a random bag check has a slight, yet highly unlikely, chance of catching something dangerous.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spd476
If the TSA has enough screeners that they can conduct ID checks at the gate, they need to reduce their staffing. I've never seen one of these ID checks. Do the screeners check the ID's against a list or anything? If they just look at the ID and hand it back, talk about a waste of money and resources. At least a random bag check has a slight, yet highly unlikely, chance of catching something dangerous.
Check ID's by looking.

Worthless evolution but that pretty well describes the whole of TSA.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Discplayer
Roll eyes as well, TSA, while well intentioned, does a very poor job of keeping us safe. And the ridiculous one size fits all approach is just the most visible example of this fact.
There is nothing wrong with a one-size-fits-all approach to commercial air travel security. Everyone, including airline and TSA employees, should go through the same screening to access the sterile area. X-ray of belongings, walk through / hand held metal detector, explosive trace detection / explosive trace portal. Nothing more, nothing less.

Originally Posted by trvlguy1
3 words........TAKE THE BUS

Coming to a bus terminal near you…

Originally Posted by yandosan
I don't think they have the resources to do this.
With airplanes they can hide behind 911 hysteria
but I don't envision them saturating highways,
bus depots and football stadiums with Blue Meanies.
TSA has partnered with local law enforcement to conduct thousands of VIPR missions from coast to coast across the U.S.

Originally Posted by cubbie00
It became a delta issue when the gate agent stepped between me and the TSA agent and started yelling that checking ID's was not silly and I had a bad attitude. Because of that bad attitude, she was going to deny me boarding.
Welcome to FlyerTalk! That DL employee was out of line; please let DL know.

Originally Posted by Schmurrr
But don't most adults fly with an ID anyway? If you are driving to/from the airport, you need your driver's license, you might need it at the ticket counter, and you might need it if you make any credit card purchases during your trip.
The only person outside of a LEO that will see my driver's license is a car rental employee. I'll show my passport card when carded for alcohol, the occasional merchant that wants to see ID, and of course the TSA Trained Document Checker.

Originally Posted by Mats
I learned the mobile boarding pass trick in Atlanta when I had a connecting flight coming back from overseas. Since there was no travel document inspection at the international transfer security checkpoint, my boarding card had no scribbles on it. The TSA woman went crazy, as if I must have snuck in.
At airports where I can't use a mobile boarding pass, I print out two copies of my boarding pass. The one that the TDCer scribbles on is placed in the garbage, usually the same one where all the bottles of dihydrogen monoxide are surrendered to at the checkpoint.

I'm looking forward to going through the same experience you did. My response to their query will be "Yeah, one of your your fellow employees made a bunch of marks on it, so I threw it away."
Old Feb 15, 2013, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
This week I put my Japanese driver's license back in my wallet. If they want to play silly buggers and delay my flight by "screening" at the gate then I'll screw with them right back and switch to Japanese for everything.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:49 pm

But don't most adults fly with an ID anyway? If you are driving to/from the airport, you need your driver's license, you might need it at the ticket counter, and you might need it if you make any credit card purchases during your trip. I'm not saying that you need to show the ID to TSA but that you likely would have some form of ID on you anyway.
You probably have a set of keys with you and a pair of underpants. Is there a logical reason to check for these to board an airplane?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
You probably have a set of keys with you and a pair of underpants. Is there a logical reason to check for these to board an airplane?
Logical? Why does that suddenly matter?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:36 pm

. . . and you might need it if you make any credit card purchases during your trip.
If the back of your credit card is properly signed, then requiring such would be a violation of their merchant agreement.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ND Sol
If the back of your credit card is properly signed, then requiring such would be a violation of their merchant agreement.
I am a merchant that accepts CC's. This is quite true. Some merchants will ask, but they can not require. Usually, the people at the register do not know this and even the manager may be unaware. I left $500 of stuff lying on the checkout of a local building supply when they refused my CC without ID.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:23 pm

How does that work then for hotels?

When they request to see an ID is it for the reservation or for the credit card?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I suggest that not only does ID not make us safer, it makes us less safe.

As an example, a teacher of mine had escaped Cuba in a small boat in the 1960s. This made him a criminal fugitive in the eyes of the Cuban government. A few years later, he was on a Miami to Tampa flight that was hijacked to Havana. (in Flyertalk parlance, MIA to TPA; irrops; HAV) He hid/destroyed his ID when he realized that the flight was crossing the Florida Straights. He avoided recapture partly because it was plausible for an American to be traveling without ID back in those days.

To leave the realm of anecdote and cite something verifiable, Petty Officer Robert Stetham was killed by the TWA 847 hijackers because they found his U.S. military ID. Leon Klinghoffer was singled out for death by the Achille Lauro highjackers because his U.S. passport listed his birthplace as Israel.

Do you think that ID made those folks safer? Once the scanning check point has confirmed that I don’t have a weapon or an explosive, why does it matter whether I’m John Smith or Joe Bloggs?
In all fairness, I must point out that your examples, while legitimate and powerful from an emotional standpoint, are really extremely rare and not enough to back your argument that ID checks make us less safe.

BUt don't get me wrong - I am firmly in the "ID checks are unadulterated BS" camp. While the theoretical argument can be made that the ID check at the c/p has some potential security value, in that it is intended to prevent anyone from entering the sterile area who is not a ticketed passenger whose name has been run through the various Enemy of the State lists, there is absolutely no justification whatsoever to the gate ID checks.

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I am a merchant that accepts CC's. This is quite true. Some merchants will ask, but they can not require. Usually, the people at the register do not know this and even the manager may be unaware. I left $500 of stuff lying on the checkout of a local building supply when they refused my CC without ID.
I know all of this, and it burns me up when a merchant asks for ID, but so far I'm just to self-involved to point out to any merchant that the practice is in violation of the merchant agreement. Most of the time, the only people you could complain to are low-level employees - cashiers and managers - who don't set policy and cannot grant you an exception, so nothing changes and all you wind up doing is causing yourself and those behind you a delay.

Complaining to the CC company might be effective, however; I will start doing so in the future via the link ND provided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.