Chances of theft for checked bags

Old May 24, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
My hideous fluorescent metallic green Samsonite has never been grabbed in error.

I have never seen a matching bag at any airport due to, I suspect, its hideousness.

The photo above offers a good tip but only works if your name is Anne Dewhurst.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by KRSW
My suitcases have colored gaffer tape over the handles and some ratty-looking and faded FlyerTalk tags on them. Someone's not going to be able to "accidentally" pick these up thinking it's theirs.
I was watching my basic black rollaboard come around towards me a couple years ago. It had (by design) accumulated multiple red and pale green satin ribbons, an FT tag, an old DL Plat tag, a bright pink gate-check tag, and a couple of tattered paper airline ID tags on the handle.

I stood there in disbelief as the guy next to me grabbed it off the carousel, set it down, looked at it with his wife, then pulled up the handle and prepared to march off - with my bag.

My bag is now a compromise between your two examples: I stencilled a large, bright lightning bolt on the front and back.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
Theft of bags happens occasionally. But most people want to retrieve their own belongings and don't want to take other people's bags, which may be heavy and generally contain items which are not that valuable. Some airports require arriving passengers to present their luggage tags before they can walk off with bags they have collected. But at most airports there is no real way to prevent someone taking your bag unless you arrive at the belt first and stand right where the bags are sent out and pay close attention to everyone.
An interesting experience in SHA recently:

I (white) walked up to the baggage carousel without difficulty. A traveling companion (Chinese) was stopped by an official and required to show a claim check before being allowed to enter the roped-off area around the carousel. Neither of us was checked upon exiting the area, they were only seeing if the person checked baggage, not matching the bags to the ticket.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:34 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by boybi
I'm thinking that anyone can just grab a bag from the belt and just walk out of the airport. But I haven't heard of such incident. But I've heard of friends experience of getting the wrong bag that are similar to theirs.
Not sure what airline you fly and how you exit the plane and get to baggage. I'd say that unless you are doing international I have yet to not beat my bags to baggage claim. Thus the solution is simply, get off plane and get to baggage before the bozos and crooks. Stand near the main offload belt, tag your bag so you can make it easily out.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chipmaster
Not sure what airline you fly and how you exit the plane and get to baggage. I'd say that unless you are doing international I have yet to not beat my bags to baggage claim. Thus the solution is simply, get off plane and get to baggage before the bozos and crooks. Stand near the main offload belt, tag your bag so you can make it easily out.
MIA can be a very long hike to baggage claim. Easy for bags to get there first. LAS, D gates, have to catch a tram to baggage claim. Another opportunity for bags to arrive before the traveler.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
My bag was stolen at PDX in 2010. The airport poloce called me later that night as they apprehended the criminal. Was a husband wife team and they found 9 bags in their car.
Got my bag back and the only thing missing were my uderwear. Was creepy.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
My hideous fluorescent metallic green Samsonite has never been grabbed in error.

I have never seen a matching bag at any airport due to, I suspect, its hideousness.

The photo above offers a good tip but only works if your name is Anne Dewhurst.
I have a garish bright orange bag that I'm fond of, picked it up at a TJ Maxx type store years ago. I stuck some fluorescent green Velcro handle wraps on it plus a few other tags. Stands out quite well and I've yet to see its twin anywhere either.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: UA
I've seen clerks and police checking baggage claim tags at LIM, before customs.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Theft-or accident removal? About 10 years ago, we returned from a trip out west. I pulled my wife's blue Samsonite from the belt at BWI-along with my luggage. Drove home-about 45 mins. Got into the house about 11:30pm. Didn't check the answering machine. Next morning, had a call from SWA that I had grabbed someone else's blue Samsonite-identical to Mrs. Vker's-except for the label of course. I returned it immediately. Now, I check the tag. Every. Single. Time. I don't care how sure I am.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Randyk47
I don't know of any airport in the US that still has bag checks.
LGA does.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BSBD
LGA does.
Thanks. Haven't been there in probably 30 years.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Theft-or accident removal? About 10 years ago, we returned from a trip out west. I pulled my wife's blue Samsonite from the belt at BWI-along with my luggage. Drove home-about 45 mins. Got into the house about 11:30pm. Didn't check the answering machine. Next morning, had a call from SWA that I had grabbed someone else's blue Samsonite-identical to Mrs. Vker's-except for the label of course. I returned it immediately. Now, I check the tag. Every. Single. Time. I don't care how sure I am.
We had the same experience on the other side at IAH. Our garment bag was missing, but I saw a similar one going around the carousel, so took that one to CO baggage assistance. CO was able to get a hold of the passenger who took ours and he then delivered it to our house (which was pretty close to his) and then had to go back to the airport to retrieve his.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
In the 70s and 80s, most medium and large airports had people checking bag tags before leaving the baggage claim area. I guess the minimum wage job was deemed "too expensive" to prevent a few bag thefts -- kind of like how most banks no longer have security guards there.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by formeraa
In the 70s and 80s, most medium and large airports had people checking bag tags before leaving the baggage claim area. I guess the minimum wage job was deemed "too expensive" to prevent a few bag thefts -- kind of like how most banks no longer have security guards there.
Yet the airlines can have multiple security line minders which is a totally useless act. They would be of more use in baggage claim.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG75; Bonvoy, National Exec, United Silver
I picked my brother up from the airport a couple of years ago. He too is a frequent flyer and had, at the time, a non-black suitcase. We grabbed "his bag" and walked out the door. About halfway home we got a call from the airline saying they had his bag. Woops. We turned around and went back to the airport. Sure enough, he had grabbed someone else's non-black suitcase. Color was similar but they looked sufficiently different to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.