Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US considering stop issuing any type of visa

Old May 9, 2017, 10:07 am
Original Poster

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulli...n/tw/te/bl/ed/

The idea seems to be to cause chaos. Taken to its extreme, suspending visa laws would, as the Skift website points out, mean that foreign workers would not be able to renew visas and international travel to America would be temporarily halted.
It's seems that Designated Survivor is not that far away from reality...
Old May 9, 2017, 11:57 am

Wow. I will steer away from any discussion of any political discussion of our current work visa program, but the economic effects of a change like this would be huge. There would be significant disruption in many industries if H1Bs and L1s disappeared.

I would also expect significant retaliation, leaving US citizens effectively unable to travel overseas.

We can only hope this was just a list of possible actions, not specifically their planned response to losing the current court case.

Last edited by mauve; May 9, 2017 at 11:58 am Reason: bad capitalization
Old May 9, 2017, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I think if Trump's immigration EO is anything to go by, we shouldn't start worrying just yet.

If visas get suspended, there will be short-term chaos, it will indeed be very ugly and costly for a lot of innocent people, but there will be tremendous pressure on all sides to get something done very quickly.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Government of, for, and by social media trolls and tools can always be expected to overreact and overreach. Then blame their opponents when it all goes wrong. And move on to whatever their favorite web site or TV show triggers their next wave of outrage against.
Ever read the comments on Yahoo News?
That's the level of intelligence and deliberation ruining running (predictive text Freudian slip!) the US government this year.
Apparently.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.