Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by studentff
It has frustrated me for ~16 years that various non-government and government institutions (civil liberties, business, universities, state governments, etc.) throw their full weight into fighting anything that has a whiff of discrimination based on religion or national origin, but the same US institutions are utterly silent about DHS policies that treat every US citizen/resident like crap.
It's seen as unpatriotic to question DHS - plain and simple. Disagree with how idiotic that is but it's the primary reason people won't step up and contradict DHS/TSA rules.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by studentff
It has frustrated me for ~16 years that various non-government and government institutions (civil liberties, business, universities, state governments, etc.) throw their full weight into fighting anything that has a whiff of discrimination based on religion or national origin, but the same US institutions are utterly silent about DHS policies that treat every US citizen/resident like crap.
One issue is that discrimination is explicitly illegal, and therefor suing makes sense, while crap policy is not illegal. The courts have given the DHS a tremendous amount of discretion, so long as they don't trip explicit laws, such as anti-discrimination. So the courts are not at all likely to be an effective remedy.

I'd bet a majority of the public favors security theater. "Anything to make us safer", especially given the majority of the public doesn't travel that often and therefore isn't really inconvenienced. Appeal to the broader public doesn't seem like an effective remedy either.

Airlines are very much against such a ban, as is most of the travel industry. If the ban is enacted, it would be an illustration of the lack of power these businesses have regarding security issues.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
As profitable as the airlines are these days, you'd think they'd ramp up lobbying.

Maybe they'll wait and see if their business, particularly their premium cabin ticket sales, dro off enough for them to bother.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
As profitable as the airlines are these days, you'd think they'd ramp up lobbying.

Maybe they'll wait and see if their business, particularly their premium cabin ticket sales, dro off enough for them to bother.
Whats make you think they aren't lobbying? They already have almost no security cost.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I would think that maybe a lot of the public doesn't feel they have the expertise to really judge the necessity of a laptop ban because they don't know anything about how to make a bomb in the first place, so they probably figure "well if this is some fancy new terrorist way to make a bomb, and some experts are worried about it, then I guess we have to".

And there are a fair number of people afraid of flying in and of itself (aside from any security threats) plus, in my experience, many more who aren't afraid per se, but find it still makes them a bit nervous. So their uneasiness is easily made worse by thoughts of an additional specific danger such as (supposedly) hard-to-detect laptop bombs, on top of anxiety about a "regular" accident or crash. These extra measures by "the authorities" help them feel better - "I don't have to worry about a laptop bomb now that the security authorities have implemented such-and-such procedures to keep me safe".
Old May 26, 2017, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Whats make you think they aren't lobbying? They already have almost no security cost.
Because it sounds like they're resigned to it happening, ready to acquiesce, make the best of it.

Why not play hardball, like "our political donations may be greatly affected by reduced revenues from loss of passengers who expect to be able to work during the flight?"
Old May 26, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by wco81

From what I saw reading the stories on this over the last month or so, there was a decent amount of hell raised behind the scenes. The main issue with them doing certain things in public is that, for example:
(1) Retaliation. I could see the TSA "maliciously staffing" checkpoints at some airports (either under-staffing a given terminal or simply moving a bunch of new employees to said terminal) to screw a given airline. While some airports have a bunch of connected terminals (e.g. ATL), at airports that don't (e.g. LAX, SFO, JFK) it'd be possible to make a total hash of one or two airlines' operations with "bad" staffing.
(2) "Hostile work environment" complaints. If an airline were to start campaigning hard against a new or highly-expected initiative, I could see some guff coming back onto TSA agents (think of a stereotypical 'customer haranguing a floor associate about a policy change' situation and imagine a checkpoint dealing with a few hundred of those in a day on top of everything else). In light of their well-known, long-standing track-record of success I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for the TSA but I could see an issue arising.

Informal, unseen lobbying is probably better in getting them to achieve their objectives than a big public stink. The fact that we saw some statements edging in that direction was itself stunning in what seemed to be getting telegraphed.

Edit: One idea I've had, if they wanted to hardball it on a device ban, would be to adjust the boarding pass machines to kick out a second piece of paper: "Not happy being unable to work on the flight? Your Senators are XXX and YYY, your representative is ZZZ. Their office numbers are (numbers). Call them and tell them to come up with a better solution."
Old May 26, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
From CNN tonight http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/26/politi...ban/index.html

(CNN)Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly confirmed to CNN Friday that he is considering expanding the ban on large electronics in airplane cabins to include flights departing from the US to overseas.

If that happens, then it would mean any electronic device larger than a cell phone would not be allowed on some flights leaving the US, not just certain inbound US flights, as is currently the case. Kelly was at Reagan National Airport just outside the nation's capital in Virginia Friday, meeting and shaking hands with Transportation Security Administration officers and speaking briefly on camera to reporters.
When asked whether it is true that he has hinted the laptop ban could expand to US soil, Kelly said that those characterizations of his thinking are accurate.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
And what happens in terminals where both domestic and international flights depart? DFW terminal D for instance. My last flight departing D had an international gate next to my domestic. TSA wouldn't be capable of managing that kind of situation so the result would be a total ban out of that type of terminal if not the whole airport.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
TSA wouldn't be capable of managing that kind of situation so the result would be a total ban out of that type of terminal if not the whole airport.
One of the major issues that we face w/r/t TSA is the fact that safety is ALWAYS easier with a BAN. See: "Water, Dangerous".
Irrespective of other means to "keep us safe", those charged by government to prevent events will always choose the more restrictive.

Dave
Old May 27, 2017, 8:13 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please get back on topic

Folks,

We have the following rule:
5. Stay On Topic
FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.
The subject of this thread is the Electronic Devices Ban on flights from Europe to the US, not the TSA's eagerness to ban various items.

Discussing the logistics of screening passengers on international flights departing the US from terminals serving both domestic and international flights for electronic devices is relevant. General discussion of the TSA's methods of "keeping us safe" is not.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; May 27, 2017 at 9:05 am Reason: Clarity
Old May 27, 2017, 10:00 am

And what happens in terminals where both domestic and international flights depart? DFW terminal D for instance. My last flight departing D had an international gate next to my domestic. TSA wouldn't be capable of managing that kind of situation so the result would be a total ban out of that type of terminal if not the whole airport.
Probably, but I can imagine other ways.

Maybe just gate checks. Maybe something really disruptive like trying to rearrange terminal assignments on short notice.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The USG would pick which flights departing the US would be subject to the ban. In other words, it would be some international flights leaving the US but not necessarily all international flights leaving the US. Also, given the TSA's history, it's possible that such ban may be enforced (only or additionally) at the US departure gate by TSA employees assigned to work the gate of the selected flights leaving the US.

DHS still doesn't have the audacity to just flip the switch on for a general domestic electronics ban, even as a ban is a lazy approach to try to mitigate for the ineffectiveness/failures that are a product of the TSA's people, processes and technology currently in play together.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
And industry is now speaking up; guess it's the same guys who want to sell more to the TSA (and other governments who have to abide to DHS/TSA standards)

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/26...-scanners-tsa/

New airport scanners could end bans on laptops and liquids

SNIPPET
Manufacturers of airport security equipment have a message for travelers who fear they will have to give up laptops and tablet computers on international flights: They have a solution.

At least four of the largest companies making screening devices say they are developing scanners so much better at detecting explosives than existing X-ray machines that passengers could leave laptops, other electronics and even liquids in their bags, vastly simplifying airport security.

“It’s a no brainer,” said Joseph Paresi, chief executive officer of Integrated Defense & Security Solutions Inc., which has developed one of the new scanning machines that has passed initial U.S. government testing. “It’s not if. It’s when it’s going to happen.”
Old May 27, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
And industry is now speaking up; guess it's the same guys who want to sell more to the TSA (and other governments who have to abide to DHS/TSA standards)

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/26...-scanners-tsa/

New airport scanners could end bans on laptops and liquids

SNIPPET
Manufacturers of airport security equipment have a message for travelers who fear they will have to give up laptops and tablet computers on international flights: They have a solution.

At least four of the largest companies making screening devices say they are developing scanners so much better at detecting explosives than existing X-ray machines that passengers could leave laptops, other electronics and even liquids in their bags, vastly simplifying airport security.

“It’s a no brainer,” said Joseph Paresi, chief executive officer of Integrated Defense & Security Solutions Inc., which has developed one of the new scanning machines that has passed initial U.S. government testing. “It’s not if. It’s when it’s going to happen.”
Never let a crisis go to waste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.