Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by wco81
Check this story out, some guy on an AA flight, LAX-IAH, tried to get into the forward lavatory with his laptop.

Then he tried the cockpit door.

That caused an F22 fighter jet to scramble, presumably ready to shoot the flight down.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....near-lavatory/

Just what DHS needs to talk up this ban.
It was probably Blogdad Bob or one of his minions.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
From CNN about an hour ago: Source: DHS secretary hints at possibly expanding laptop ban to US

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/19/politi...us-john-kelly/

That means any electronic device larger than a cell phone would not be allowed on flights leaving the US, not just certain inbound US flights, as is currently the case. While Kelly didn't say it outright, "we could read between the lines," the aide said.
The aide said there's still no timeline on when the expansion will be announced, but stressed, "it will be very broad," meaning a lot of airports will be included. The aide said Kelly appears to be far along in the decision-making process, although a final decision has not been made.
Kelly discussed some of the challenges of expanding the ban, the aide said, and told lawmakers he doesn't want to institute the changes but feels it is necessary.
This doesn't sound good. It's just a matter of time before they roll this out to US domestic flights.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles (Silver), Hilton Honors (Diamond), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Clear, Nexus
Originally Posted by FL390
From CNN about an hour ago: Source: DHS secretary hints at possibly expanding laptop ban to US

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/19/politi...us-john-kelly/

This doesn't sound good. It's just a matter of time before they roll this out to US domestic flights.
Well, at least this is starting to make sense now. If it is a genuine threat, it needs to be rolled out on inbound flights, outbound flights, and domestic flights. Implementing it on inbound only while ignoring outbound and domestic never made any sense; unless TSA's security was far superior to other countries' (LOL!).

My theory: The EU insisted on reciprocal treatment on flights to their territory. So now the US has to figure out how to actually implement a ban rather than just telling other countries to do it. The meeting last week bought time. Next week will talk logistics, and we'll probably have a ban in the next month.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I guess they'll never present this threat to the public, just trust us, it's necessary.

At least people put up with the limited liquids on board and taking off shoes at airports because there have been incidents.

Why wouldn't they show devices with hidden bombs or at least X-ray scans of them to the public? Or explain how replacing some of the limited battery pack in an iPad will bring down a plane?

Thing is, it's hard to shake the sense that with a different administration in power, this wouldn't be happening.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:49 pm
Suspended

I'm gonna short airline stocks if they implement this insanity domestically.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I'm gonna short airline stocks if they implement this insanity domestically.
Sadly, the insanity (as you've correctly described it) is already baked into the prices.

Dave
Old May 19, 2017, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bseller
Sadly, the insanity (as you've correctly described it) is already baked into the prices.

Dave
No it isn't. Airline stock are partying like it is 1999.
Can you imagine what this ban would do to flights like the NE shuttles? Can you imagine what this ban would do to large electronics trade shows like the one in Vegas? Scientists attending conferences? Consultants flying to clients?

I think the economic fallout will be worse than 2008-2009. Tens of thousands of flight attendants will lose their jobs, consultancy will suffer a shake out, organisers of conferences go bust. Catering goes bye bye. The effect will trickle to secondary jobs like dining and entertainment. Etc. etc. etc.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:08 pm

One thing is for sure, if this comes to pass on domestic flights we're going to rue not developing a viable passenger train system as an alternative to flying.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iad2jfk
My theory: The EU insisted on reciprocal treatment on flights to their territory. So now the US has to figure out how to actually implement a ban rather than just telling other countries to do it. The meeting last week bought time. Next week will talk logistics, and we'll probably have a ban in the next month.
How are they going to sell the narrative that only international flights are at risk but not domestic? I'm very curious to see how MSY-MSP's prediction plays out with checked electronics and the hull insurance carrier's response. A ban of electronics in the hold and nothing larger than a cell phone in the cabin will be interesting.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:18 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Can you imagine what this ban would do to flights like the NE shuttles? Can you imagine what this ban would do to large electronics trade shows like the one in Vegas? Scientists attending conferences? Consultants flying to clients?

I think the economic fallout will be worse than 2008-2009. Tens of thousands of flight attendants will lose their jobs, consultancy will suffer a shake out, organisers of conferences go bust. Catering goes bye bye. The effect will trickle to secondary jobs like dining and entertainment. Etc. etc. etc.
...but we will all be safe.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by FL390
How are they going to sell the narrative that only international flights are at risk but not domestic?
Easy - everybody knows terrorists are all found Over There and not here.

I'm very curious to see how MSY-MSP's prediction plays out with checked electronics and the hull insurance carrier's response. A ban of electronics in the hold and nothing larger than a cell phone in the cabin will be interesting.
Interesting in the "synonym for disastrous" sense, yes. I'm curious, too, how that issue will play out.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
...but we will all be safe.
Safely unemployed!
Old May 19, 2017, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wco81
Check this story out, some guy on an AA flight, LAX-IAH, tried to get into the forward lavatory with his laptop.

Then he tried the cockpit door.

That caused an F22 fighter jet to scramble, presumably ready to shoot the flight down.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....near-lavatory/

Just what DHS needs to talk up this ban.
That was just another case of "dark male" (of sort) viewed as a threat, no less so when the guy was possibly inebriated, even absent contraband weapons/explosives/incendiaries? If so and anyone tries to use that incident as justification for ban expansion, it wouldn't surprise me; for ridiculous justification efforts of anything for "security" are so very frequent given the snowflake audience.

Perhaps in its ridiculousness, DHS/TSA will say electronics have to fit in a quart/liter-sized plastic bag and shoes will be banned like liquids if they don't fit inside quarter/liter-sized plastic bags.

Those plastic bags work such miracles for securing flights form liquids/gels/aerosols, so why not use them for shoes and electronics bans too?!?!?

Last edited by GUWonder; May 19, 2017 at 10:08 pm
Old May 19, 2017, 10:15 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Perhaps in its ridiculousness, DHS/TSA will say electronics have to fit in a quart/liter-sized plastic bag and shoes will be banned like liquids if they don't fit inside quarter/liter-sized plastic bags.

Those plastic bags work such miracles for securing flights form liquids/gels/aerosols, so why not use them for shoes and electronics bans too?!?!?
You have been a member of FlyerTalk long enough to know the answer:

The plastic bag will protect the electronics in case liquids leak from the other plastic bag.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Canarsie
You have been a member of FlyerTalk long enough to know the answer:

The plastic bag will protect the electronics in case liquids leak from the other plastic bag.
Speaking of senior moments, I failed to remember to disclose that I already transport my cabin bag electronics in plastic bags. So my electronics are safer from liquids -- especially if the liquids/gels explode due to pressure changes during the trip. Speaking of the risk of liquids leaking/exploding, I should thank DHS/TSA for making it a rule to keep cabin bag liquids in plastic bags. It just made my ways more popular and cheaper since my cost to pick up plastic bags for airport use dropped. I'm so unthankful, it embarrasses me. My kindergarten teacher must be rolling in her grave from embarassment about how thoughtless I've become. Time for me to make amends and go up to the chalkboard and write out "All Hail TSA" a hundred times. It's not like I'll be allowed to type it out and then cut and paste in my laptop in flight.

Perhaps this ban expansion will lower the cost to acquire laptops too.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 19, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.