Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Old May 17, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by wco81
If this proposal got more publicity in the general public, DHS (at the direction of those above them) would hold fast and push through the ban, because the way things are going, Washington doesn't want to be seen as taking defeats.

We can only hope there's minimal coverage of this outside of venues for travel enthusiasts like FT.
I've started seeing coverage of it on US news sites today. I'm still crossing my fingers that the EU wins out.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by studentff
I hope the EU stands their ground on refusing to allow all of these devices to be dumped into the hold. The standoff is good for both the sanity and safety of everyone who might fly if it can continue until the knee-jerk paranoia settles down a bit.

I think even the paranoid anything-for-security-no-matter-the-cost career DHS people may realize that the public won't stand for being told they can't take take their $1000+ devices back to the US from Europe at all because it can be neither carried on nor checked. (and no, I don't think FedEx @ hundreds of $ per pax is a viable workaround)

Kudos to the EU; I think this may be the first time anyone at this level has tried to stand up to DHS paranoia.
You assume that means "we can take our laptops." You are assuming that it won't mean "no laptops on passenger airplanes, you must ship by commercial carrier."
Old May 17, 2017, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
I've started seeing coverage of it on US news sites today.
I hope those sites aren't just glibly referring to it as a "laptop ban," but are accurately reporting that the ban may also involve tablets, cameras, headphones, and possibly medical items such as CPAP machines. Otherwise people who don't travel regularly with a laptop but who do own and use those other items may underestimate the significance of this proposal to them.
Old May 17, 2017, 4:13 pm

What isn't mention with this is that it's there's also reverse screening for selected flights at Points of Entry. This will match what is taking place with the currently ban in place already.

96 hours...that's what we're hearing unless some break through between the EU and US takes place.
Old May 17, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by artemis
Wouldn't it be ironic if a side effect of this crazy policy was a resurgence of passenger transportation by ship and rail?
I had that same thought! Even if it just gets some people thinking and making some efforts towards establishing or expanding other viable transportation options in the future it would be a step in the right direction.

Originally Posted by artemis
I hope those sites aren't just glibly referring to it as a "laptop ban," but are accurately reporting that the ban may also involve tablets, cameras, headphones, and possibly medical items such as CPAP machines. Otherwise people who don't travel regularly with a laptop but who do own and use those other items may underestimate the significance of this proposal to them.
Most of what I've noticed has unfortunately taken the easy route and largely described it as "laptop ban"..there might be a blurb noting it could cover other electronics but hasn't been the focus - much less the headline - of the articles I've seen. I agree, more people will notice if it's clear the scope is larger.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:01 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Question So anything with a removable battery ok?

So it seems the issue lies in the batteries. So does this mean that any device with a removable battery is ok to bring in the cabin (sans battery)?

If this is true, ultrabook laptops and tablets might be an issue. But digital SLR cameras should be ok, no? Remove the tiny battery and check it. Also what about expensive lenses? They have no battery.

Also, would external battery packs used to supplement smartphone battery life be ok to bring in the cabin? They are roughly the same size as the phone. If they expect us to rely on one device to keep us entertained for a 12+ hour international flight, you'll need the juice for that. Yes, you have USB outlets, but a lot of them charge slower than the drain from using the device.

Leaving for Europe from JFK tomorrow, coming back June 3. Seriously don't know what to do at this point. I usually have with me in the cabin, my phone, external battery, ultrabook laptop, and a digital SLR camera with a lens and external flash.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL: PM, Marriott: Gold, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
So it seems the issue lies in the batteries. So does this mean that any device with a removable battery is ok to bring in the cabin (sans battery)?

If this is true, ultrabook laptops and tablets might be an issue. But digital SLR cameras should be ok, no? Remove the tiny battery and check it. Also what about expensive lenses? They have no battery.

Also, would external battery packs used to supplement smartphone battery life be ok to bring in the cabin? They are roughly the same size as the phone. If they expect us to rely on one device to keep us entertained for a 12+ hour international flight, you'll need the juice for that. Yes, you have USB outlets, but a lot of them charge slower than the drain from using the device.

Leaving for Europe from JFK tomorrow, coming back June 3. Seriously don't know what to do at this point. I usually have with me in the cabin, my phone, external battery, ultrabook laptop, and a digital SLR camera with a lens and external flash.
I'm in a similar situation where I leave for Europe on the 23rd, returning on the 3rd. At this point, I don't know whether to bring an empty pelican case with me to pack my camera backpack with 2 high end DSLR's and a half dozen lenses and other associated accessories for the return trip, or take a chance that they debate it again for the next couple of weeks and I can get in and out before it happens.

For me personally, I just wish they would do one thing or another. Those of us with immediate travel to Europe are in limbo and don't know what we need to do for safe transport of electronics and in my case a whole bunch of camera gear.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

The real problem with all these uncertainties is that in the near term, the rule will be "if in doubt, do not allow it".

A P&S camera without the battery should be OK, but the rules (so far) seem to refer to 'devices'. No exceptions for 'devices without batteries'.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
If this is true, ultrabook laptops and tablets might be an issue. But digital SLR cameras should be ok, no? Remove the tiny battery and check it.
That would be violating today's policy prohibiting loose batteries in the checked bags.

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiative...info/?hazmat=7

If it is too dangerous today to do this, why would they allow that in the future, i.e., what made it suddenly an acceptable risk? (arguing that it is safer than in the cabin doesn't mean the risk assessment leading to today's rule has changed)

The bottom line, though, is that no one knows. Lots of speculation in this thread. And while you might logically think/argue that a certain device doesn't fall under whatever ban that does not mean that the screener will agree. And good luck arguing...
Old May 17, 2017, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Duke787
Except in this case we'd be getting an agreement between Europe and the US. It's hard to imagine that the rest of the world won't follow if the US and Europe put out a ban.
I am curious, how do countries like China or Japan handle "electronics safety"? Are they also banning everything left-and-right?
Old May 17, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by ords
What isn't mention with this is that it's there's also reverse screening for selected flights at Points of Entry. This will match what is taking place with the currently ban in place already.
What would be the point of reverse screening? Obviously the aircraft landed without an explosion. If it's just to prevent the unexploded device from entering the country, they already have Customs inspections for that.

And if there is reverse screening and they find a prohibited item, what do they do? Send pax back to Europe to check the item? Fine the security service of the other country?
Old May 17, 2017, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by donsullivan
I'm in a similar situation where I leave for Europe on the 23rd, returning on the 3rd. At this point, I don't know whether to bring an empty pelican case with me to pack my camera backpack with 2 high end DSLR's and a half dozen lenses and other associated accessories for the return trip, or take a chance that they debate it again for the next couple of weeks and I can get in and out before it happens.

For me personally, I just wish they would do one thing or another. Those of us with immediate travel to Europe are in limbo and don't know what we need to do for safe transport of electronics and in my case a whole bunch of camera gear.
I think I'm going to take a chance and bring my laptop and digital SLR with lens and flash. In the worst case, I think I will ship the items back via UPS/FedEx, probably less worse than letting the airline/airport treat my stuff like a football and risk getting them stolen.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
The real problem with all these uncertainties is that in the near term, the rule will be "if in doubt, do not allow it".

A P&S camera without the battery should be OK, but the rules (so far) seem to refer to 'devices'. No exceptions for 'devices without batteries'.
Assuming that the new Europe rule will pretty much mirror the one set for the 10 Middle Eastern countries that is in effect now. What are the exact rules for that implementation? Do they allow battery-less electronics or no? Maybe we can sort of go by that.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Well BBC posted this three hours ago:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39956968

Seems like the conclusion is no ban but other changes may occur (I can assume we will see more aggressive gate screening of electronics)

Others

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-flights.html

Not seen any recent articles with differing messages.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why only incoming flights? Why only L/H?
Are narrows bodies on s/h or strictly domestic routes somehow not targetable?
Is the information Trump spilled to the Russkies somehow incapable of being used inside American borders?
Beyond pure economic advantage, and political theater for the political base that sees Europe as overrun by Muslims (and even worse liberal traitors) any logic here at all?
Or just a cynical manipulation of hayseed fear?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.