Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by mikeef
But let me ask one question: A mid-air explosion would obviously be tragic and result in hundreds of deaths. But are we stopping people carrying laptops on the street? In movie theaters? In hotels? How about Amtrak? Because if a terrorist blew up an explosive device under Penn Station, the catastrophe would dwarf that of a mid-air explosion.

Mike
The approach to this has shifted subtly over time, more, I suspect, because of potential business opportunities than because of reliable intel and thoughtful analysis.

Post 9/11, it was deemed paramount to provide planes with a level of security not imposed anywhere else. It wasn't because of the number of people on a plane that might die or the crowds at the airport that might get killed - it was because an airplane could be hijacked and turned into a human-guided missile.

The security theater wasn't really about hijacked planes or exploded planes - we'd had those before and we got on with our lives and our freedoms. After all, planes go down for other reasons: Valujet. Unless they timed their actions to be over a crowded metropolitan area, neither the underpants bomber nor the shoe bomber were going to take out more than a planeload of people - tragic, to be sure, but nothing like taking out a rock concert or a stadium or a crowded metropolitan area.

I think the risk of someone successfully taking over the cockpit and the plane is miniscule - not worthy of mention. If someone is clever enough to do it, nothing TSA is doing will prevent it (unless purely by accident). Statistically, it's probably about as likely as a mechanical fault or pilot error taking down a plane.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
I believe there is a threat caused by improvised explosive devices hidden in laptops and the like in their batteries or disguised like batteries. Now how big that threat is is the real question. Is it being inflated? I don't know. However, it seems to me that the implication of this is that they are trying to do a measured approach on the implementation of this ban to avoid crawl back later.

There is some support from IACO that indicates that the threat is real and they are trying to work through a world wide approach to dealing with issue. There is a balancing act that needs to be managed here.
Like you, I believe there is a real threat. It's the balancing act part I have no confidence in. The TSA's approach in the past, and the way the Middle East ban was rolled out, makes me worry they're going to be using a nuclear bomb to kill a cockroach. I think they are severely underestimating the negative effects this will have on both business and leisure travel to and from the United States, and the overall impact on the US economy. And I don't think they're going to be able to bully the entire rest of the world in going along with this (a few countries, yes, but not everyone).

(Maybe the terrorists' real objective is to trigger another global recession? They may achieve it!)
Old May 11, 2017, 1:52 pm

I read a story a while back where flying had become a case of donning a transparent jumpsuit, being hooked to a catheter, and being sedated on a flat board and loaded that way. I suspect that would work better than being stuck with one physical book on a flight.

Saying that a kindle is a threat...sure it is. And how much unscreened cargo are you taking? What will they do when a plane explodes due to something in the hold?
Old May 11, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by chollie
The approach to this has shifted subtly over time, more, I suspect, because of potential business opportunities than because of reliable intel and thoughtful analysis.

Post 9/11, it was deemed paramount to provide planes with a level of security not imposed anywhere else. It wasn't because of the number of people on a plane that might die or the crowds at the airport that might get killed - it was because an airplane could be hijacked and turned into a human-guided missile.

The security theater wasn't really about hijacked planes or exploded planes - we'd had those before and we got on with our lives and our freedoms. After all, planes go down for other reasons: Valujet. Unless they timed their actions to be over a crowded metropolitan area, neither the underpants bomber nor the shoe bomber were going to take out more than a planeload of people - tragic, to be sure, but nothing like taking out a rock concert or a stadium or a crowded metropolitan area.

I think the risk of someone successfully taking over the cockpit and the plane is miniscule - not worthy of mention. If someone is clever enough to do it, nothing TSA is doing will prevent it (unless purely by accident). Statistically, it's probably about as likely as a mechanical fault or pilot error taking down a plane.
But that's my point. If we are so concerned with protecting planes, why have we neglected other, more populous, targets?
Old May 11, 2017, 1:58 pm

And if we are so concerned about protecting planes why are we putting those dangerous lithium batteries in the hold since the entire "safety" measure is that you take those OUT of your checked luggage and carry them on.

Theatre.... watch what we are doing to harass you so you won't see what other stupid things we are doing behind the curtain! Yes we are safer now then pre 9/11, but it's due to REAL law enforcement not "theater of harassment" conducted by the Thousands Standing Around and their friends!

Contact your elected officials and let them know that this is one of the all time stupid moves by agencies THEY fund!
Old May 11, 2017, 2:05 pm

Anyone knowing why Asia isn't impacted? I'm going to Japan in September and I'm wondering if Japan will be impacted by then.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by artemis
Smart terrorists know there's no reason to go to extreme lengths to get a bomb onto a plane. Just wheel a 30" suitcase stuffed with shrapnel and explosives into the airport and detonate it in a crowd. Do it on a very high travel day, like the day before Thanksgiving, when the airport will be absolutely packed with people. Ideally hit several airports, train stations, and bus stations simultaneously.

Can you imagine the panic that would result?

The terrorists we actually need to worry about are evil, not stupid. Underwear Bomber and his ilk are mostly noteworthy for their complete lack of success.
"..detonate in a crowd." Do you mean like a long line waiting to get to a TSA checkpoint? Does TSA have its head in the sand over the targets it is creating at multiple airports every day of the week?
Old May 11, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
^
Looks like Rapiscan all over again.
More staffing (for TSA), more expensive equipment (if the checkpoint scanners can't detect a laptop bomb, what do they need behind the curtain to accomplish that), new equipment (explosion and fireproof containers for all those potential bombs in luggage), and of course course more fees (are effect of baggage fees on airline profits).
Throughout American history - all the way back to the Revolution - there have been more than enough Americans who are glad to use security and defense as a honeypot. Many of these Americans ( corporations are people too my friend) made so much money during the Cold War, they now have the clout to insure the government continues fill the slop trough for them.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by JakiChan
Anyone knowing why Asia isn't impacted? I'm going to Japan in September and I'm wondering if Japan will be impacted by then.
We really don't know that Asia isn't impacted. We really "know" very little. Some of the rumors/quotes I have seen have hinted at a broader impact than Europe. At this point I wouldn't bet on anything.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by mikeef
But that's my point. If we are so concerned with protecting planes, why have we neglected other, more populous, targets?
Because we've lost sight of our original goal: to prevent the takeover of an airplane, not primarily to protect the plane and its pax.

We're still hung up on a plane, not the number of victims. Post-911, understandably the focus was on airplanes. We created a new organization and approach that provided a huge new business opportunity - the MIC became the military-industrial-SECURITY-complex. It's easier to build up a centralized, well-funded federal organization than it is to try to offer a patchwork of security based on a wide variety of locations and logistical issues.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
We really don't know that Asia isn't impacted. We really "know" very little. Some of the rumors/quotes I have seen have hinted at a broader impact than Europe. At this point I wouldn't bet on anything.
So I'll take my Nintendo Switch with me, and assume it will be stolen by the TSA in SJC on the way back. (Along with an iPad, camera, and other electronics.) Awesome! #winning

I think it's time to start checking honeypots, so that we can start publicly shaming folks.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Originally Posted by rickg523
Earlier in this thread I posited that most leisure travelers could use their mobiles for the snaps and selfies that are prevalent today. That's been my observation.
But like many of the subsequent posts, I too consider photography a vital part of my travel experience. In fact, years ago I supported myself overseas selling mounted b+w 8x10 prints to cruisers.
So the question is, what about my good old Nikon F and 4 mechanical lenses? No electronics. Not even a battery (Selinium cell meter).
You think the security people are going to try to figure out if a camera is eletronic or not? My guess is if it looks like a camera it goes into the hold.

(Sorry, kids, your etch-a-sketch tablets will have to be checked, too)

Besides, I am not going to buy a "new" camera.
DOH-ORD in April I was forced to check the following:

Hasselblad 500cm
Canon 7
Nikon FM3a
Lens' for the above

Security isn't there to think its their to implement orders in the easiest possible fashion.

Extending this to Europe will really get my blood in a boil especially after just booking two trips last week.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:29 pm

I'm going to the us in aug/sep for a holiday. Flying Sweden - Heathrow - Lax. AA from Heatrow to Lax and BA from Lax to. So as of now, can I bring my laptop and tablet in the carry-on?

//Anna

Last edited by Annaer; May 11, 2017 at 2:36 pm
Old May 11, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Annaer
I'm going to the us in aug/sep for a holiday. Flying Sweden - Heathrow - Lax. So as of now, can I bring my laptop and tablet in the carry-on?

//Anna
As of today, yes. By August, no one knows.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by JakiChan
I read a story a while back where flying had become a case of donning a transparent jumpsuit, being hooked to a catheter, and being sedated on a flat board and loaded that way. I suspect that would work better than being stuck with one physical book on a flight.
Doped up at home, transported naked except for passport and credit cards to the airport, wake up at your destination, buy clothes and things for your stay, repeat on the way back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.