Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Paste the link to a FB or Twitter account and then click the link.

Well I leave on a TATL trip in less than 3 weeks so of course the ban will be expanded then.

I think they do it out of spite, like other actions they're taking. Hence they're going to try to curtail travel to Cuba, back out of the Paris Accords, etc. because they know such actions will aggravate some people.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by wco81
Paste the link to a FB or Twitter account and then click the link.
Can I borrow someones then?

Joking aside, why on earth do people paste links to articles that they must know are behind a paywall? Do people forget they subscribe to it?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Can I borrow someones then?

Joking aside, why on earth do people paste links to articles that they must know are behind a paywall? Do people forget they subscribe to it?
Wouldn't matter, just tried and article seems to no longer be available.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Gold
From the WSJ article:

"BRUSSELS—Europe’s top air-safety regulator issued the most explicit criticism yet of U.S. proposals to ban laptops from the cabins of more foreign airliners destined for American airports, even as officials in Washington indicated they may compromise by accepting less-sweeping security measures.

Highlighting the extent of European opposition to an expanded ban on taking large electronic devices in carry-on bags–a measure intended to combat possible terrorist threats–Patrick Ky, head of the European Aviation Safety Agency, on Wednesday said months of laboratory tests likely are required to properly assess the potential fire hazards of flying large numbers of laptops with lithium batteries in cargo holds."

And this:

"EASA’s executive director vowed to play a greater role in current and future debates over such trade-offs. “This is going to be a very strong position on our side,” he said."

Thank you, European regulators. Don't let the US bully you.

Last edited by susiesan; Jun 16, 2017 at 9:43 am
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
From the article:

"BRUSSELS—Europe’s top air-safety regulator issued the most explicit criticism yet of U.S. proposals to ban laptops from the cabins of more foreign airliners destined for American airports, even as officials in Washington indicated they may compromise by accepting less-sweeping security measures.

Highlighting the extent of European opposition to an expanded ban on taking large electronic devices in carry-on bags–a measure intended to combat possible terrorist threats–Patrick Ky, head of the European Aviation Safety Agency, on Wednesday said months of laboratory tests likely are required to properly assess the potential fire hazards of flying large numbers of laptops with lithium batteries in cargo holds."

And this:

"EASA’s executive director vowed to play a greater role in current and future debates over such trade-offs. “This is going to be a very strong position on our side,” he said."

Thank you, European regulators. Don't let the US bully you.
Thanks for this.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Thanks for this.
Do you want me to post the rest of the article? Is that allowed?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:36 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Originally Posted by susiesan
Do you want me to post the rest of the article? Is that allowed?
FlyerTalk Rule 9:
Posting Copyrighted Material

Do not post information protected by copyright or owned by another without the owner's consent. If you infringe on someone else's rights you will be held solely responsible. Neither FlyerTalk nor its owner shall be held responsible for information you post that may violate copyright law.

When posting a news article or other published information, credit the source of the information and give a brief, one-to-three paragraph summary or clip of the content, providing an appropriate link and/or cite to its source.

FlyerTalk's Infringement Policy, found in its Legal Notices disclosure, is made a part of this rule and nothing in this rule is meant to conflict with that Infringement Policy.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Kelly is demanding other countries to meet certain standards and implement measures in order not to be included in an expanded ban:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....s-air-markets/

Here's the original CNN story on which the blog post is based:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/15/politi...ons/index.html
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I wonder if one of the practices Kelly is going to insist the world's airports adopt is the trademark TSA genital rub: repeated vertical and horizontal stroking, supplementing by nudging, cupping and butt crack dips.

I'm all for that if he insists that airport TSOs get the same fondling when they arrive for work and randomly throughout the day - including a quota of LTSOs and STSOs.

The practices Kelly will insist on will be designed to bring overseas checkpoints to a halt, leaving them with no alternative but to pony up for CT scanners whose sale will benefit Kelly and his cronies.

Last edited by chollie; Jun 16, 2017 at 11:40 am
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I think the thing that everyone needs to remember, the threat against commercial aviation, passenger aviation, is relentless. Constant," Kelly said. "It is what they want to do more than anything else, is blow an airplane up, ideally full of Americans or as many Americans as possible, that's what they want to do."
Kelly claims that terrorists are obsessed with attacking U.S. airplanes but does the evidence support that position? Are terrorist so incompetent that they have not been able to penetrate TSA's half-assed security system since 9/11/2001? I'm not buying what Kelly is trying to sale.

Fear mongering is just not helpful but seems to be DHS/TSA's only tool to sway the public into accepting all manner of despicable acts against their persons.

Impress me Secretary Kelly, provide some verifiable evidence of these threats!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Kelly claims that terrorists are obsessed with attacking U.S. airplanes but does the evidence support that position?
No, there isn't.
There have been no real attempts to target western aircraft since the failed shoe and underware bomb. The "liquid plot" that lead to the "war on water" never even got past the "maybe we could do this" idea phase.

The only attacks on aircraft by terrorists have been on middle east carriers, which can very easily be linked to the ongoing Sunni/Shi'a conflict. Those incidents are claimed by the US to be tests and reasons to increase security, yet none of them even went through a checkpoint. There has been no reason to increase checkpoint screening or ban certain types of item. There has been reason to actually screen airport workers (eg baggage handlers and TSOs).

Meanwhile, there has been no attempts to attack western aircraft, and only attacks on soft targets such as hotels, stadiums, and check in lines.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smells like WMD all over again.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:19 am

The Homeland Security Department is set to announce new security for international flights bound to the United States.

Industry and U.S. officials briefed on the announcement said airports and airlines around the world will be required to implement the measures. If they don’t, their passengers may be barred from carrying laptops and other large electronics in passenger cabins.
I can't copy and paste the link for some reason, but the small article can be read from here:

Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.usnews.com/news/business...tional-flights

One article but doesn't have any detail at all.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
https://www.usnews.com/news/business...tional-flights

One article but doesn't have any detail at all.
The CNN version refers to airports rather than airlines

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/28/po...res/index.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.