Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Let's hope they eventually drop it. However the general population might buy into the 'fight terrorism' story line.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
There is no doubt in my mind that this will happen. It is the details of the implementation that should be interesting. My feeling is that the airlines and the airports will all have different interpretations and prove that they are not capable of organising a social event in a brewery. Naturally I hope I am wrong on this. However...
Old May 19, 2017, 8:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
There is no doubt in my mind that this will happen. It is the details of the implementation that should be interesting. My feeling is that the airlines and the airports will all have different interpretations and prove that they are not capable of organising a social event in a brewery. Naturally I hope I am wrong on this. However...
When so many various entities can't see eye to eye on an issue along some very fundamental axis/axes, that's a sign that there really isn't much (if any) good reason to organize as wanted by the party pushing hardest for the organizing behind a particular approach.

I'm actually more hopeful when there's constructive and/or deliberative disagreement than when there's "monkey-see-monkey-do" mimicry and hierarchical deference of sorts that the US Admin wants.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
According to https://www.ausbt.com.au/usa-abandon...pe-usa-flights

the Europe travel ban proposal has been dropped
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Yes, others are reporting the same thing, that the ban is still being pushed by the USA

http://blog.wandr.me/2017/05/us-eu-e...an-really-die/
There are multiple articles pushing essentially both versions of the story, and most cite un-named inside sources with some manner of direct knowledge. I have no idea which is correct (and the conflicting leaks could be deliberate from the USG) and neither does anyone else on FT unless they also have direct knowledge of the US-EU meeting and internal USG deliberations. Even if an FT'er is in such a position, no one has any means to verify this.

So while it would be great to have some clarity for upcoming trips, I'm taking it all with a grain of salt unless and until either some new measure is publicly debuted or there is an unequivocal public statement from the USG that the matter is dropped. I'll just have contingencies planned in case something happens just before or during a trip...otherwise nothing more I can really do.

I just wish the gov't and general public would stop with the knee-jerk reactions and obsession over total risk elimination in air travel. There will always be some risk of a hijacking, crash, bomb, suicidal pilot, numerous kinds of aircraft systems failures, etc. Risk of injury and death is part of most any aspect of life - take some reasonable, proportionate measures and just get on with it.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by 84fiero
So while it would be great to have some clarity for upcoming trips, I'm taking it all with a grain of salt unless and until either some new measure is publicly debuted or there is an unequivocal public statement from the USG that the matter is dropped. I'll just have contingencies planned in case something happens just before or during a trip...otherwise nothing more I can really do.
Family trip to the UK end of June - Early July

Ended up buying these to put my kids, mine and my wife's iPads - assuming that things may or may not change while on the trip. I'm NOT bringing my notebook - going to remote to a Virtual Machine my company has using my iPad if needed to do work in a bind. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BW0QBOG - A bit big but can store the iPads with their normal cases if they need to be checked

If it does move to this happening will invest in an iPod Touch 128GB for the kid to replace an iPad on the return flight back.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by artemis
You'll have to pry my Olympus OMD-EM5 and EM1 out of my cold, dead hands.

Prior to this proposed ban, mirrorless systems were ideal for travel: much smaller and lighter than any DSLR, but nearly as capable. And not only is the picture quality better than a smartphone, but the replaceable battery means you can shoot all day (since you can put a fresh one in when the current one funs out of juice).

I am not looking forward to having only my phone for a camera.
I use a small Canon digital point and shoot as a backup camera to the bigger and better one my husband uses. Will this be banned? it's smaller than a cell phone but thicker. Could I take the batteries out of it and carry the camera on? I can put the battery pack i the checked luggage. or it can be in the carryon out of the camera.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: Priority Club Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, formerly BA Gold, formerly KLM silver
What about electric shavers / razors? I wonder if they'll get banned or counted as part of a 1+ 1 quota?
Old May 19, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by susiesan
I use a small Canon digital point and shoot as a backup camera to the bigger and better one my husband uses. Will this be banned? it's smaller than a cell phone but thicker. Could I take the batteries out of it and carry the camera on? I can put the battery pack i the checked luggage. or it can be in the carryon out of the camera.
The Emirates page is the best info I've found about the current ban ( https://www.emirates.com/english/hel...lectronics-ban ) which of course may or may not be a guideline for what might come.

But Emirates explicitly lists standalone cameras (thankfully excluding detachable lenses) as banned. Also, none of the Canon Elph models I am aware of meet the 0.59-inch thickness limit to be "smartphone sized" (16 x 9.3 x 1.5cm). I'm not familiar with other manufactures of similar cameras with "real" zoom lenses.

I'm in the market to replace my dinosaur 8MP Elph, but I'm holding off for a few months to see if this nonsense expands to Europe or domestic.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Who knows what the rules will be. It seems today the UK and US rules treat cameras differently:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...ghts-to-the-uk

Cameras are allowed; it doesn't even seem to exclude large ones.

Loose (spare) batteries are generally not allowed in checked baggage.

Turkish Airlines (which is affected by both the US and the UK rules) has this info:

https://p.turkishairlines.com/en-us/...ml#tcm40-22678

"Passengers of UK bound flights from Turkey and beyond can carry separate/spare lithium batteries and power banks (portable power sources) smaller than 16x9,3x1,5 cm on board. These devices if bigger than this size are not permitted on board. In addition to this, these devices are strictly not permitted to be transported in the baggage hold area of the aircraft no matter what its size/ dimension has."

So they allow small batteries in the cabin to the UK only, not the US. And they don't allow them in checked bags.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:34 pm

Right now there's no answer to your question, unfortunately. If you have a trip planned soon, I'd count on having the check the point-and-shoot (along with your husband's big camera), on the grounds that it's better to be prepared just in case. If you don't have a trip planned soon, then you'll just have to check the next time you travel to see what changes (if any) have been made in the carryon rules.

Last edited by artemis; May 19, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Old May 19, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Who knows what the rules will be. It seems today the UK and US rules treat cameras differently:
The UK rules seem to be quite a bit more sensible, that's fore sure.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by artemis
The UK rules seem to be quite a bit more sensible, that's fore sure.
Which is why i expect the US rules to be absolutely asinine.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by FL390
Which is why i expect the US rules to be absolutely asinine.
Unfortunately you probably won't be disappointed.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Check this story out, some guy on an AA flight, LAX-IAH, tried to get into the forward lavatory with his laptop.

Then he tried the cockpit door.

That caused an F22 fighter jet to scramble, presumably ready to shoot the flight down.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....near-lavatory/

Just what DHS needs to talk up this ban.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Check this story out, some guy on an AA flight, LAX-IAH, tried to get into the forward lavatory with his laptop.

Then he tried the cockpit door.

That caused an F22 fighter jet to scramble, presumably ready to shoot the flight down.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....near-lavatory/

Just what DHS needs to talk up this ban.
As soon as I read this story, I thought "they're sure ginning up that laptop angle." Seems curious threatening man with laptop story comes just 2 days after Europe put the brakes on the ban. Note this was a domestic flight folks.
Was the laptop a bomb? Or was the response exaggerated to make a point? Because the subtext seems to be that the laptop was as dangerous as the guy trying to open the door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.