Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA "Pilot Program" re: Paper Products

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:45 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I just went through security 15 minutes ago in LAS.

My bag was flagged and removed from the belt. The officer said he has to look in it to find something. When he opened it up, he said that he found the problem.

I was a soft-cover book about an inch thick.

I feel much safer now.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluv2fly

My bag was flagged and removed from the belt. The officer said he has to look in it to find something. When he opened it up, he said that he found the problem.

I feel much safer now.
Did the officer review the title and contents of your book?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by iluv2fly

I feel much safer now.
I had a similar experience at LAX last week. My bag with about a week's worth of The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times and a hard bound cookbook (approx. 250 pages) was flagged for inspection. The TSO took no further action once she noticed the amount of printed material in the bag.

The same bag passed through security at ORD and CLE without further inspection (the cookbook was gone by the time that we left CLE). I finally caught up on my reading on the flights home, but now I have another stack that accumulated during that trip.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by KDS
Came through DTW today. Sign at TSA checkpoint said all electronics larger than cellphone need to be removed from bags and put into bins. I ignored it and kept my portable wifi router and other non-laptop electronics in my bag (spoiler: TSA did not flag them). However, TSA was VERY FOCUSED on books and food/snacks. My books had to be hand-inspected (not swabbed, surprisingly) and other people's bags of chips, containers of nuts, and candy bars had to be swabbed and rerun through the X-ray scanner.

Boy, flights from DTW today are REALLY safe..... what a joke.
It's slow because they have to write down what you're reading.

(kidding, I hope)
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:30 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by zitsky

(kidding, I hope)
That same thought went through my mind as I watched the TSO "fan" the pages of each book (obviously looking for a "hidden compartment"?); and I almost said something to that effect, but she finished so quickly I didn't have a chance. But I'm sure it's just a matter of time before TSA is recruited into the "big brother" aspects of "home of the brave/free" government.

(About 8 years ago, when the scanners were starting to become so pervasive, my bag was flagged because it had a book in it -- about 800 pages, hardcover. As the TSO fanned through that book, I made a comment about how she would not be interested in the book because it didn't have any pictures in it. She apparently thought I was insulting her (!) and made a remark back to me, but I don't remember what it was.)

Oh and they had about 10 TSOs at the one checkpoint lane open today at that DTW checkpoint, but only ONE TSO apparently was allowed to do bag checks. We all had to wait in line for that ONE TSO to get to us. Even dumber.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I think it's curious that TSA says they are rifling the pages of my books to check for contraband between the pages. not to read my material.

Yet each time my papers have been searched, the screener has turned them facing upright (reading position) before flipping through them.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by chollie
I think it's curious that TSA says they are rifling the pages of my books to check for contraband between the pages. not to read my material.

Yet each time my papers have been searched, the screener has turned them facing upright (reading position) before flipping through them.
Maybe just pretending to look busy?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:33 pm

So what would happen if you have the wrong book? Are we talking punitive/enhanced pat-down, confiscation, or arrest like happened to the professor with an Econ book last year?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mauve
So what would happen if you have the wrong book? Are we talking punitive/enhanced pat-down, confiscation, or arrest like happened to the professor with an Econ book last year?
Off to the TSA Gulag with you.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by mauve
What professor? Google is not helping.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(kidding, I hope)
Just don't have Arabic flash cards with you.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I worry when I carry an American Rifleman with me. It has pictures of guns and knives.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I worry when I carry an American Rifleman with me. It has pictures of guns and knives.
No that's ok. You're protecting us from the bad guys.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No that's ok. You're protecting us from the bad guys.
Seeing as how TSA confiscated a woman's purse that had a leather worked image of a gun makes me wonder who the bad guys really are.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:54 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I do this often, and I read it while sitting in my aisle seat during boarding of the other passengers. Just waiting for some reaction one of these days.... wicked smile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.