Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Visiting boyfriend/girlfriend/fiancé in USA - Immigration concerns

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jphripjah
That's interesting. How can an airline predict from ticketing information who is likely to miss their flight or overstay once they arrive?
quite simple,

booking for random times e.g. long into future when the seats are cheap
when seats are reserved but only for one way
pay for lots of luggage again only one way on the route

etc
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by redadeco
Does Norway issue second passports for travel to the US if the other one has stamps to what yanks describe as "insecure" destinations?
I would be careful to use this approach. It is one thing to have a second passport to hide some destinations that you've been to, but it's another thing to actively lie about it, which you would most likely do if you travel to the US with one passport, but having a second passport for those countries, that require you to get a visa if the US knows about them.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by theoneseeker
Edit:
I have dentist, psychologist appointments, bank statements showing I have funds in Denmark, party invitations that I am attending. Would any of these help in my case? or is this just useless information to the officer?
Erase all evidence of your psychologist appointments from your devices and paperwork.

The dentist appointments don't help. Don't mention them.

The bank statements are critical.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Arctifox
I would be careful to use this approach. It is one thing to have a second passport to hide some destinations that you've been to, but it's another thing to actively lie about it, which you would most likely do if you travel to the US with one passport, but having a second passport for those countries, that require you to get a visa if the US knows about them.
I'm talking about doing things legally like in the US where you can apply for a 2nd one provided you have good reasons:

"The applicant has confirmed travel plans to a foreign country which will deny a visa or entry to the bearer of a passport containing markings or visas showing travel to certain other countries."
https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...cond-passport/

If I were Norwegian and travelled to Iran in the past 5 years I'd get a new passport and travel to the US with it on ESTA without going through B2 visa hassle and still having great chances of getting sent to secondary once landed on US soil.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by redadeco
I'm talking about doing things legally like in the US where you can apply for a 2nd one provided you have good reasons:

"The applicant has confirmed travel plans to a foreign country which will deny a visa or entry to the bearer of a passport containing markings or visas showing travel to certain other countries."
https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...cond-passport/

If I were Norwegian and travelled to Iran in the past 5 years I'd get a new passport and travel to the US with it on ESTA without going through B2 visa hassle and still having great chances of getting sent to secondary once landed on US soil.
You would have to lie to get the ESTA in this case.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:30 am

Will the CBP officer deny my entry into the U.S. if I have insufficient funds?

I am 18 years old and currently live in New Zealand. I plan to visit my friend in the United States for the Summer (so about 3 months) Because I have insufficient "spending money," my friend has written me a letter of invitation (assures my financial responsibilities will be covered during my stay) to show the CBP officer. However, my fear is that it will not guarantee my admission into the states and I will be sent back.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Will you be traveling on a NZ passport or the passport of some other country?

How do you know this friend? Is this a "boyfriend I've only met online" sort of relationship?

Who is paying for your flights?

What specifically do you plan to do in the USA for three months?

How much spending money do you have? What happens if, a week after a arrival, your friend flakes out or you have a fight and the friend kicks you out of the house?

What ties do you have to New Zealand or your home country and what documents can you show them if necessary to establish that you plan to start or continue a life back in New Zealand or your home country (like school enrollment, a lease, a job offer, etc.) rather than overstaying the the USA or trying to work in the USA?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by YeulXNsu
I am 18 years old and currently live in New Zealand. I plan to visit my friend in the United States for the Summer (so about 3 months) Because I have insufficient "spending money," my friend has written me a letter of invitation (assures my financial responsibilities will be covered during my stay) to show the CBP officer. However, my fear is that it will not guarantee my admission into the states and I will be sent back.
If you have the right passport/visa/travel docs for your stay, demonstrated reasons/connections to return to New Zealand before the 90 day period hits; and have money and health insurance to cover your 3 month stay, then you'll likely be fine. Lack one or more of the above? Then you're at greater risk of being turned away on arrival even if having such a letter of invitation.

If this appears to be a mail-order/internet "romance" of some sort; the chances of problems rise even more.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The term "friend" covers a broad array of people. Is this someone with whom you grew up and who moved away (or you moved away)? Or is this a girlfriend/boyfriend? How did you meet? How many times have you met in person?

Depending on your age and circumstances, the CBP Officer may want to know a great deal more about the relationship and the means of the "friend".

As others note, a key issue are your reasons to return to New Zealand at the conclusion of your visit. Do you have a job there and can you demonstrate that it will still be there for you? Are you in school working towards a degree and must you return for that? Turning this around, what is there to stop you from simply overstaying in the US?

Beyond spending money, how will you live over here? Where will you stay? What happens if you get sick or injured? Do you have insurance which will cover the costs of treatment here in the US? Will New Zealand help?

As others note, are you a New Zealand national traveling on a NZ passport?

Rather than looking at this from your perspective, look at this from the perspective of CBP. An Officer will question whether you intend to overstay and become a burden on the US.

At the same time as assuring that you have documents and mobile numbers to reach anybody who needs to be reached, do not volunteer anything not asked. If you are asked a question, answer it 100% truthfully and do not play games about it. But, if you are not asked for something, do not offer it.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:00 pm

Hey, I've been in a really happy long distance relationship and back in March I visited my beloved boyfriend in the USA for the first time. I visited him for three weeks and next week I am booked to fly to visit him for 6 weeks for summer vacation.
I have gathered several things together, such as proof of being enrolled into a university course, proof of loans I have taken for university, credit card and sufficient funds and a copy of my return ticket. Howrver I can't help but feel a tad paranoid. Last time I said I was visiting friends as a tourist as I was sceptical on saying I was seeing my boyfriend. This time I worry that saying the same thing might be suspicious and I wonder if I should just say I'm visiting my boyfriend or if I should say I am returning to sight see again. I want to return for a few more trips to visit him in the future and I just worry that the more time goes on, the more suspicious it would seem to say I'm just visiting friends.

If anyone has any advice for what I should say for the upcoming visit, as well as advice for future visits perhaps that would be very appreciated, thank you!

Also I am flying from the United Kingdom
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:03 pm

Be honest. "I'm visiting my boyfriend. He's here in the US while I'm at university in the UK working on my degree/postgrad studies/PhD." Be open about giving the officer his number to contact if need be and truthful about how and how long you've known him, and who paid for the tickets. But just be honest. And don't overstay!

(If you say you're visiting friends and the officer calls your boyfriend, who then tells the officer he's your boyfriend, relationship, blah, blah, you will raise suspicion as to why you called him a "friend" when he's said he's more than that.)
nancypants and Goaguy like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:59 am

You will probably go through automated passport control and not even see an officer.

But, my girlfriend visited me a few times in the US and had no issues. Granted, she had a history of travel to the US without any issues, but with the proof you have you should be ok. Just be comfortable and confident about the story, which is the truth.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

When posting in this thread, please keep in mind that per the sticky thread this forum is informational.

Please limit your contributions here to questions, practical advice, data points and information.

Opinions, commentary and "impressions" of the State Department's "Fecal Roster" belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Post(s) have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 24, 2018 at 4:13 pm Reason: Clarify
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Travellingmoo
Hey, I've been in a really happy long distance relationship and back in March I visited my beloved boyfriend in the USA for the first time. I visited him for three weeks and next week I am booked to fly to visit him for 6 weeks for summer vacation.
I have gathered several things together, such as proof of being enrolled into a university course, proof of loans I have taken for university, credit card and sufficient funds and a copy of my return ticket. Howrver I can't help but feel a tad paranoid. Last time I said I was visiting friends as a tourist as I was sceptical on saying I was seeing my boyfriend. This time I worry that saying the same thing might be suspicious and I wonder if I should just say I'm visiting my boyfriend or if I should say I am returning to sight see again. I want to return for a few more trips to visit him in the future and I just worry that the more time goes on, the more suspicious it would seem to say I'm just visiting friends.

If anyone has any advice for what I should say for the upcoming visit, as well as advice for future visits perhaps that would be very appreciated, thank you!

Also I am flying from the United Kingdom
If asked about purpose of the trip, saying that you’re on vacation to visit your boyfriend should work just fine.

If asked where you are staying, mentioning that you are “staying” with your boyfriend will tend to go over better on average than saying that you are going to “live” with your boyfriend.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:18 am
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Your boyfriend is a friend, so if asked, say you're visiting friends in the US. You're not lying on either count.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.