Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Explosive residue detected on my belongings :/

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Explosive residue detected on my belongings :/

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Apparently two of the tests they failed last time included 1) a slightly built male in t-shirt and thin shorts who successfully 'artfully concealed' something in/on/under his genitals and 2) someone smuggled something through disguised as a 'snack'.

That said, it would appear that the last round of test failures didn't involve anything hidden in women's handbags - nothing like a handgun, for example. Either that, or TSA acknowledges that no one is likely to take over or take down an airplane with nothing more than a handgun.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Apparently two of the tests they failed last time included 1) a slightly built male in t-shirt and thin shorts who successfully 'artfully concealed' something in/on/under his genitals and 2) someone smuggled something through disguised as a 'snack'.

That said, it would appear that the last round of test failures didn't involve anything hidden in women's handbags - nothing like a handgun, for example. Either that, or TSA acknowledges that no one is likely to take over or take down an airplane with nothing more than a handgun.
Where did you get that info? The only reference I'd seen was to an auditor who had an "explosive" taped to this back that was found by either WTMD or MMW but the screener who did the pat down didn't find it. That's why the "sliding" maneuver instead of "patting" was instituted.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by DisneyObsessed
I think that common sense in completely out the window and they have no clue what they are looking for. My most recent trips through the nude-o-scope have indicated my knee - which they then insisted on patting down...even though, I was wearing shorts and they could clearly detect something readily just by looking. What was touching my leg going to prove? (BTW, all original parts so no clue what set it off)
This.

They've forgotten they're looking for EXPLOSIVE RESIDUE, and instead are looking for whatever sets the machine off.

They've forgotten they're looking for liquid EXPLOSIVES, and hence become obsessed with all liquids.

They've forgotten they're looking for CONTRABAND, and just search where the machine tells them to, even on someone's bald head.

No "Cognitive Burden" is too small to be relegated to a blindly followed policy.

TSA - Thinking Strictly Anathema
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
They are desperate to pass this current round of testing so they are "looking" every place that they think one of the DHS IG's auditors might hide something.
If that's true, let's hope the auditors didn't keister any weapons.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Where did you get that info? The only reference I'd seen was to an auditor who had an "explosive" taped to this back that was found by either WTMD or MMW but the screener who did the pat down didn't find it. That's why the "sliding" maneuver instead of "patting" was instituted.
I'm assuming that the reason TSA is suddenly focused on a new, more invasive, full-on frontal assault on people's genitals and an interest in non-LGA 'snacks' is because they failed tests involving young boys' genitals and 'snacks'.

Actually, given that there are multiple reports of TSA making pax remove 'snacks' for extra scrutiny, and they have specifically asked about granola bars, I wouldn't be surprised if the focus on snacks is really a fishing expedition for marijuana-containing 'snacks'.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
This happened to me in SAT. I had pre-check, but the metal detector went off, after I went through it. I asked the agent, "Was that a random alarm?" and he said yes. They were randomly testing electronics for explosives. They pulled me aside and a very nice TSA agent tested all of my electronics ... with the same swab. Test went positive, so the full pat down began. I refused to go to a private area. They were all up in my business. I was so thankful I'd changed into jeans; I'd previously been wearing a dress without nylons/leggings, and I'm really curious to know how they would have conducted the more invasive parts of the search (glad I didn't have to find out).

I have global entry and 5C gov clearance. Such a waste of resources.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:33 am
Suspended

At least you were not accused totally as somehow terrorist or something because there were instances that some of the innocent people in few airports nowadays are being judged as terrorist. if I'm not mistaken, there was a news flashed in the television about bullet which are unknowingly slide inside the bag of a civilian.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might be more inclined to tolerate TSA's abusive screening practices if, and only if, TSA produced hard, cold facts, and evidence that demonstrates the need for these methods. Just saying "the bad guys are trying to penetrate security" is not enough.

Give me the truth, we not only deserve it but I think the truth should be required before anyone from TSA fondles my junk.

Put up or get your cold stinking hands off my junk TSA!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:53 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
Technically, I believe that would make the OP a terroirist, not a terrorist.
Groan.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
Technically, I believe that would make the OP a terroirist, not a terrorist.
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Groan.
I was considering an earthier response but yours is well grounded.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd
I was considering an earthier response but yours is well grounded.
If you guys don't stop, I'm going to soil my pants.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, given that there are multiple reports of TSA making pax remove 'snacks' for extra scrutiny, and they have specifically asked about granola bars, I wouldn't be surprised if the focus on snacks is really a fishing expedition for marijuana-containing 'snacks'.
Believe it or not, pot granola bars exist:

Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Blogndog
If you guys don't stop, I'm going to soil my pants.
don't drag this thread into the dirt
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Believe it or not, pot granola bars exist:

I know. I wasn't kidding when I posted that TSA's new obsession with 'snacks' is a thinly disguised dragnet looking for marijuana edibles.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know. I wasn't kidding when I posted that TSA's new obsession with 'snacks' is a thinly disguised dragnet looking for marijuana edibles.
...and I'm agreeing with you on the ulterior motive of the War on Food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.