Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Why do I have to clear security in the uk when I'm connecting?

Why do I have to clear security in the uk when I'm connecting?

Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Upupintheair
In AMS it is mixed as well however it is structured in a way that passengers arriving from a unsecure airport (i.e. Less secure than AMS) need to pass through additional security. All other passengers can connect without having to go through security again. I wish LHR would do this to, saves so much hassle..
Campbelltown Airport (Loganair) no longer has security screening. Passengers make an oral declaration that they don't have any forbidden items, and then board. Saves money on scanners etc.

On arrival at Glasgow, which normally DOES allow mixing of arrivals from "clean" airports, the Campbelltown PAX are routed directly to Landside, so have to pass security screening before boarding a connection.

As always, there is a balance between security and convenience.

AMS has recently centralized security screening, and at the same time designated some "clean" airports in EU and US where inbound passengers are deemed low risk - so they don't get screened using scanners etc. This slightly increases the risk of a security breach, but reduces costs and allows resources to be spent on other countermeasures instead (or keeps charges down!).
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:09 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Welcome to the Terminal 3 --> "Heathrow Shuffle." Unfortunately, a large percentage of U.S. Government European "city pair" contracts this year were awarded to AA, which means connecting at LHR going & coming. Also, an 8-hour NS flight is now 13-14 hours because of the connection.
Try a Domestic-International connection at ATL. 2 Security Checks and a 20 Minute Bus Ride through the Suburbs of Atanta.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Originally Posted by skipness1E
The UK is a terrorist target and we have to take security seriously. I have travelled through a number of major airports where the screeners don't even look at the xray machines. It's theatre, just a different style from UK.
The objective of terrorism is to terrorize, so security theatre makes sense to reassure people. There are very few terror attacks, and damage resulting is generally low, so it is hard to rationalize spending even more than the billions of dollars already spent on screening.

There is a good article here: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...ssing_air.html
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Try a Domestic-International connection at ATL. 2 Security Checks and a 20 Minute Bus Ride through the Suburbs of Atanta.
That is a function of architecture, not security requirements.

The same connection at IAD does not require any additional checkpoint. One is screened by TSA at the domestic origin, deplanes from the domestic origin at IAD, proceeds to the international departure gate unimpeded and boards the international flight without any additional screening unless there is either a specialized circumstance.

Other D-I connections in the US are the same unless the intra-terminal architecture is such that one must leave the sterile area.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:08 pm

I don't think this has anything to do with countries (security isn't immigration) and just with 'extreme caution' and perhaps a lack of trust in their own airport settings. The way it is set up it's basically impossible to get from one part of LHR to another without clearing security.

I've cleared security multiple times at LHR within a short period of time because I had to go to a transfer counter in one terminal and then return back to another terminal. On that particular trip I cleared security four times in a 2 hour span due to IRROPS. I must have been the most secure man in the world.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
TSA doesn't do screening at LHR. It's a US agency.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:35 pm
Suspended

You will not pass through UK customs
You will not pass through UK immigration
Your bags will be checked through to your final BA destination, so won't have to be collected or re-checked. (Check the baggage tags given to you at checkin to ensure they have been tagged all the way through)
If your starting airport is able, they'll give you your second boarding pass
If not, you'll have to go to the flight connections desk to collect it
On arrival, you'll follow the purple Flight Connections signs, and have your boarding pass + passport checked
You will have to clear security, which is upstairs from flight connections, before you enter the main departures area of the terminal

Ethan Stark
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EthanStark
You will not pass through UK customs
You will not pass through UK immigration
Your bags will be checked through to your final BA destination, so won't have to be collected or re-checked. (Check the baggage tags given to you at checkin to ensure they have been tagged all the way through)
If your starting airport is able, they'll give you your second boarding pass
If not, you'll have to go to the flight connections desk to collect it
On arrival, you'll follow the purple Flight Connections signs, and have your boarding pass + passport checked
You will have to clear security, which is upstairs from flight connections, before you enter the main departures area of the terminal

Ethan Stark
Are you talking about the OP's DUB-LHR-IAH connection? If so actually going landside on arrival from DUB using the special arrival corridor and going back through security (north/south/first wing) is the recommended option.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by skipness1E
The UK is a terrorist target and we have to take security seriously. I have travelled through a number of major airports where the screeners don't even look at the xray machines. It's theatre, just a different style from UK. NO UK Home Sec could in conscience allow those passengers, i.e. Me, to connect out of the UK without rescreening, be honest. Remember even Rome and Athens used to be famously poor for security? Even in the 1990s!
The Schengen security structure is also under scrutiny so AMS may need to review what they do (again). Too many opportunities for loopholes exist if the rules were to be relaxed.
That is a pretty ridiculous assertion. First, this isn't the 1990s. Security at ATH is better and more professional, while also being FAR more polite and accommodating, than in the UK. Second, it is a pretty ridiculous assertion to say that the UK has better security than every industrialized, or even developing, nation. That simply isn't true. The UK is almost exclusively about theatrics and extension of an overbroad, freedom-hating security state. There is ZERO reason to force rescreening on connections where people have gone through security already, especially from "safe" countries.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I've largely felt that obliging connecting passengers to be rescreened is little more than a job-creation exercise which does nothing for security. The structure of Heathrow T5 is such that there is no problem sending connecting passengers to the departures level without going through security (after all that's what happens to UK domestic connections).
To pretend that UK security is better than anyone else's is quick clearly nonsense. It's just different.
It would be perfectly feasible for Heathrow to recognize "secure" from "non-secure" connections, which is exactly the way it happens in most Schengen airports. Connecting from secure airports other than Schengen airports (notably UK and US flights) without being rescreened has been in place for many years.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by catandmouse
I've largely felt that obliging connecting passengers to be rescreened is little more than a job-creation exercise which does nothing for security. The structure of Heathrow T5 is such that there is no problem sending connecting passengers to the departures level without going through security (after all that's what happens to UK domestic connections).
To pretend that UK security is better than anyone else's is quick clearly nonsense. It's just different.
It would be perfectly feasible for Heathrow to recognize "secure" from "non-secure" connections, which is exactly the way it happens in most Schengen airports. Connecting from secure airports other than Schengen airports (notably UK and US flights) without being rescreened has been in place for many years.
It's not up to Heathrow though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.