Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Flew out of T4 @ PHX this morning. Got to the A concourse checkpoint about 6:50 this morning-no orders to take snacks out of bags. In fact, though there was a contract white shirt directing pax between the PC line & gen'l boarding, once past the ID checkers, every lane was full PC, even those that were down @ the gen'l boarding end.

They did have one of the TSA dogs out giving everyone a sniff-over before the white shirt contract worker. Second time I've seen this type of thing.

Otherwise, it was business as usual-no need to take electronics out, etc., & certainly no interest in snacks & I had some in my bag
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Flew out of FAT this morning w/not only wrapped snacks, but also 3 quarts of fresh strawberries from the farmers market.

No issues w/any of it.

However, @ 10 am it was only PC lite
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:34 am
Original Poster

@TSA Since when has it been a requirement for any and all snacks to come out of bags? GFK is requiring that of all passengers, even precheck

Also, from Duff Goldman:

Hey @TSA, your mindless robotic employees just confiscated my chicken and rice lunch because it had a tomato in it.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:22 pm

Hrm. I fly with food from my medically-supervised diet program. I better get that letter from the medical director and have it handy...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by txrus
Flew out of T4 @ PHX this morning. Got to the A concourse checkpoint about 6:50 this morning-no orders to take snacks out of bags. In fact, though there was a contract white shirt directing pax between the PC line & gen'l boarding, once past the ID checkers, every lane was full PC, even those that were down @ the gen'l boarding end.

They did have one of the TSA dogs out giving everyone a sniff-over before the white shirt contract worker. Second time I've seen this type of thing.

Otherwise, it was business as usual-no need to take electronics out, etc., & certainly no interest in snacks & I had some in my bag
dog sniffing and everyone precheck has been a practice of TSA for 9 - 10 months.

Last edited by sunshinekid; Apr 20, 2017 at 9:16 pm
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunshinekid
dog sniffing and everyone precheck has been a practice of TSA for 9 - 10 months.
However, it is random and totally inconsistent. TSA doesn't have enough dogs to make the practice routine, so it's basically a crap shoot.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

The topic of this thread is TSA "pilot program" re food?, which has the TSA asking passengers to remove snacks from bags.

Posts discussing travel with breastmilk, which have nothing to do with the pilot program, were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA MM
So what I'm trying to figure out is whether this is a new "policy" or just the usual inconsistent TSA randomness? In part because I'd need to pack differently if it really is policy to take all food out, as I am on a picky diet and carry a lot from home.

Knowing the TSA I'd suspect just randomness.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

More milk for toddler thrown out by TSA

OK @TSA my 2 y/o son can't have his milk leaving EWR? No issues when I brought 4-6oz cartons from LAX, but u throw out my 2?!
Old May 2, 2017, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It's interesting - I haven't seen anyone post yet what the excuse is for confiscating solid snack foods.

Did the granola bar alarm? Was it swabbed? Did it look 'suspicious' on the xray - suspicious in way that could be easily cleared if the pax wanted to rip the bar open and display the contents?

Or is TSA moving their WoD from baggage claim (where they generally participate in the drug smuggling) to a checkpoint obsession with marijuana edibles?
Old May 3, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Just went through the TSA Pre line at OMA, we were instructed to take all food items out of our bags so they could be sent through the scanner separately. First time that's happened.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:09 am
Original Poster

@TSA #phx DH came through with pre-packed granola bars. Agent says "most ppl take these away but you look nice. I'll let you keep em." WTH
Old May 3, 2017, 10:30 am

Things are really shaping up under Kelly.

TSA is finally open and up-front about the genital rubbing and stroking they've denied for years. They went out of their way to make it clear that it can and will be done publicly and that it will be performed on underage children for entirely punitive reasons.

TSA is now demonstrating to anyone who believed otherwise that things like granola bars can be confiscated and the screener does not even have to pretend that the bar might present a threat. If the screener wants it, the screener takes it. End of story.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:11 pm

If the screener tells me the granola bar ain't allowed, I'm opening it and eating it right there. Now what're you gonna do? Tell me I can't bring food through the WTMD in my STOMACH? lol
Old May 3, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by holland
If the screener tells me the granola bar ain't allowed, I'm opening it and eating it right there. Now what're you gonna do? Tell me I can't bring food through the WTMD in my STOMACH? lol
Of course, it actually wouldn't work that way. If you tried to take the granola bar from the TSO, you'd immediately be tackled and the police would be called.

It would be fun to ask to leave security with your granola bar. They'd make you wait, swab everything in your bag, give you the most invasive grope of your life, but eventually they'd cut you free. I've done it before. Take your things outside security, unwrap the granola bar, put it in a baggie and smash it to dust.

Then go back through security and see if they confiscate your dangerous 'contraband'.

Careful - they might let you through with the granola dust but confiscate the deadly paper granola wrapper.

Maybe I should email a few granola bar manufacturers and ask if they're planning on changing to TSA-acceptable wrappers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.