Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BSBD
Literally. I recently saw a FB post from a friend that she was asked to open a factory-sealed can of tennis balls. "Can I bring" on the TSA website says tennis balls are allowed in both carry-on and checked luggage.
It does not say they can not make you unseal them.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
You're right. I better never take a can of Pringles with me again.

It really wouldn't matter if TSA's published rule said they wouldn't open the can. The screener always has the 'final say'.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:02 pm

There's no way to tell that a sealed can of tennis balls, container of whey, etc. hasn't been tampered with. I'm far from a fan of the TSA, but how do they know it's genuine and hasn't been touched?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by richarddd
There's no way to tell that a sealed can of tennis balls, container of whey, etc. hasn't been tampered with. I'm far from a fan of the TSA, but how do they know it's genuine and hasn't been touched?
Where does it end? Can a TSO open every snack in my bag? Open and strip test every one of my LGAs?

I'd like to know how much more testing the TSO did. Did he ETD test the balls? Did he handle them and re-xray them individually to make sure they were tennis balls and not filled with contraband? Did he test or re-xray the empty container?

Or did he just pop the top because he liked the sound and because he can?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

There is no way that TSA knows if anything has been tampered with so why don't we just take every single container and have TSA open it. When they spend time opening cans of tennis balls, they are wasting the passenger's time, their time and are having their attention diverted from real threats, if there are even any real threats out there.

The stupidest picture that has shown up on @TSA in the past several days, other than the clown showing off the lobster he found (and repacked incorrectly) was one of a TSA screener swabbing a bag of Jordan almonds.

OK, I can't get the image to post but here's a link to the Tweet.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA has x-ray vision.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:25 pm

This policy falls disproportionally on those who must bring their own food -- such as travellers with celiac disease. For those travellers, the disease is their disability, and the food they bring is how they manage their disability.

Because airports and domestic US airline catering cannot be trusted to provide appropriate food, the celiac traveller has to pack food for mealtimes and for contingencies such as the periodic delays that crop up in the US aviation system (like Washington Center last night).

My guess is that TSA does not have any understanding of the disability, or make any reasonable accomodation for it. Instead, they insist that those who have the disability undergo more rigorous screening and potential "voluntary" disposal of their food.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Where does it end? Can a TSO open every snack in my bag? Open and strip test every one of my LGAs?

I'd like to know how much more testing the TSO did. Did he ETD test the balls? Did he handle them and re-xray them individually to make sure they were tennis balls and not filled with contraband? Did he test or re-xray the empty container?

Or did he just pop the top because he liked the sound and because he can?
Now I want a can of Pringles. I'll share with TSA. You can have some, too. But nobody else. I'm hungry.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Just picked this up at @TSA:

@TSA just announced that any1 traveling with "cream filled cookies" should remove them 4 their bag. @Oreo risk or does some1 need a snack?

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 18, 2017 at 10:15 pm Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by petaluma1

@TSA just announced that any1 traveling with "cream filled cookies" should remove them 4 their bag. @Oreo risk or does some1 need a snack?
Just brought Oreos thru FSD w/no issue, though they are so busy playing the name game & randomly swabbing hands, I am not surprised. And that was after they closed the checkpoint for 15 minutes for a team huddle-amazing the amount of pax that back up in that amount of time, even in a place like FSD.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 18, 2017 at 10:16 pm Reason: Fix BB code
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txrus
Just brought Oreos thru FSD w/no issue, though they are so busy playing the name game & randomly swabbing hands, I am not surprised. And that was after they closed the checkpoint for 15 minutes for a team huddle-amazing the amount of pax that back up in that amount of time, even in a place like FSD.
I'm reminded about the time in college where a neighboring fraternity decided to "streak" one of our weekend parties. This was a culmination of a series of pranks. We decide it was time to bury the hatchet because midterms were coming up. Our fraternity cook baked us a cake to take to the fraternity next door -- laced with ExLax! (True story..)

I would love to alter the contents of a bunch of Oreos in the same manner and have them confiscated by TSA clerks...

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 18, 2017 at 10:15 pm Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Yet more candy stolen by TSA:

@TSA inspected my bag & took my redvines! If you were that hungry you could've just asked!! Instead of stealing it!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:53 am

Does this make me feel more secure? Not really.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:15 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I'd spit on or stomp on any food before "voluntarily surrendering" it to TSA.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Our fraternity cook baked us a cake to take to the fraternity next door -- laced with ExLax! (True story..)
I've heard yu can do this with brownies r chocolate cookies. The sort of snacks you might take t the airport with you in a very visible cntainer. And by "airport", I mean the sort f airport where TSA has a reputation fr cnfiscating snacks.

If you get my drift.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.