Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:23 am
Original Poster

TSA has allegedly ended "pilot program" on books

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...-carry-luggage

The Transportation Security Administration has abandoned a pilot program in which some passengers were asked to remove books from their carry-on luggage during screening. A spokeswoman for the agency said there are no plans to restore the pilot or to expand it.
This is what protests can accomplish.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:50 am

Electronics and food still come out?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by zitsky
Electronics and food still come out?
Yes, as long if you are on regular lane. They asked you to take out electronics and foods. If you go through PreCheck. You can keep inside your carry on bags.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Two thoughts:

1. As with the uproar about screening books, TSA backing down from laptop ban shows that protests can have an impact on them.

2. That said, if I heard the report on NBC Nightly News correctly, airlines are upset because they were not consulted. As well, it is admitted that small countries are going to have severe problems instituting new security requirements.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, as long if you are on regular lane. They asked you to take out electronics and foods. If you go through PreCheck. You can keep inside your carry on bags.
There are many complaints from people in Pre about being required to take their food out of their carry-ons.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Delete; wrong thread; I've got Lyme - is that a good enough excuse?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by petaluma1
There are many complaints from people in Pre about being required to take their food out of their carry-ons.
Yeah, I notice that. I don't like touching my foods. All they want to leave it alone. Leave it alone!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Two thoughts:

1. As with the uproar about screening books, TSA backing down from laptop ban shows that protests can have an impact on them.

2. That said, if I heard the report on NBC Nightly News correctly, airlines are upset because they were not consulted. As well, it is admitted that small countries are going to have severe problems instituting new security requirements.
Maybe it's just my cynical side, but I suspect that protests had zero impact, and that this entire flap has been about only one thing - creating a perceived need for the expensive new carry-on CT scanners, which of course will be touted as a magical tool that can clear electronics and foodstuffs while still in your bag! At a bargain basement cost of only seventy-bajillion dollarpounds, these miracle machines will cure every ill, find every Bad Thing, and make every flight Safe for Democracy!

And no, I don't think there is any direct relationship between whether the electronics ban was international or domestic, and whether the new CT scanners will be deployed internationally or domestically. Creating a perceived threat from one of them thar' furrin countries actually works in TSA's favor in such a situation, as it's so easy for most Muricans to believe any and all outlandish threats supposedly posed by the Eviw Bwown Muswim Bogie Man.

In plainer language, they scare us with trumped-up threats, annoy us with ridiculously extreme protective action that we can't stomach, and present a magical machine that they purport will protect us from the threat without the annoyance. The reaction of the American people is typically:

But I have to admit, maybe I am being just a teeny bit paranoid.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Except this time TSA is determined to force this over-priced hardware and TSA's patented genital assault on the rest of the world, along with additional over-paid 'pet' TSOs stationed at desirable (not threatening) airports like CDG to 'assist' other nations' security forces in screwing up security American-style.

Welcome to Fortress America, soon to resemble the Hotel California to its citizens.

Meanwhile, as the lines get predictably longer (JFK Precheck waits up to 40 minutes), TSA continues to fail the Red Team tests while having enough money to shell out bonuses in the thousands for its employees every year.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Local circumstances can apparently still lead to requests to remove some food for screening. With a bit of amusement, I offer:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...ackinac_i.html

I can actually understand the point here because a one pound chunk of maple-walnut or chocolate-peanut butter probably does look a bit like a block of explosive in the scanners.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Although I cannot find the specific Tweets now, yesterday I read of TSA confiscating solid food from passengers, not because that food had set off the ETD but just because.

ETA: It also appears that if TSA doesn't confiscate your food, you will get a full "pat down" to include your genital area.

Last edited by petaluma1; Jul 7, 2017 at 6:58 am
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:01 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Posts discussing the morphing of "screener discretion" to "final say," screeners' retaliation, etc., which had noting to do with the now discontinued pilot program of taking all food and electronics larger than cellphones out for screening, have been move to a new thread:
Please keep FlyerTalk rule 5, Stay On Topic, in mind when posting.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:11 am
Original Poster

First time using @TSA Precheck, and of course I get the full pat down and bag check. Stupid protein bars set off all the alarms. #touched
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Another happy Precheck customer. If this keeps up, do you think he will renew?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:17 am

If using Pre Check, food was in your bag? If in a bin, are they likely to grope, err, examine you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.