Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Of course, it actually wouldn't work that way. If you tried to take the granola bar from the TSO, you'd immediately be tackled and the police would be called.

It would be fun to ask to leave security with your granola bar. They'd make you wait, swab everything in your bag, give you the most invasive grope of your life, but eventually they'd cut you free. I've done it before. Take your things outside security, unwrap the granola bar, put it in a baggie and smash it to dust.

Then go back through security and see if they confiscate your dangerous 'contraband'.

Careful - they might let you through with the granola dust but confiscate the deadly paper granola wrapper.

Maybe I should email a few granola bar manufacturers and ask if they're planning on changing to TSA-acceptable wrappers.
While you're writing the manufacturers might ask them what is so dangerous (unhealhty) in their bars that TSA won't allow them through security.

Facebook and Twitter is good for these kinds of questions. Gets their attention real quick.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; May 3, 2017 at 1:49 pm
Old May 3, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Things are really shaping up under Kelly.

TSA is finally open and up-front about the genital rubbing and stroking they've denied for years. They went out of their way to make it clear that it can and will be done publicly and that it will be performed on underage children for entirely punitive reasons.

TSA is now demonstrating to anyone who believed otherwise that things like granola bars can be confiscated and the screener does not even have to pretend that the bar might present a threat. If the screener wants it, the screener takes it. End of story.
it occurred to me that they now freely throw around the term "confiscate." Remember when we would bait them using that term and they would always reply with "voluntarily surrendering?" They went out of their way to use that term, but that doesn't seem to matter any longer.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I have always believed that one of the reasons TSA regularly fails the Red Team tests and continues to get worse, not better, is because of the free-for-all every-TSO-makes-up-his-own-rules chaos.

Now they're on high alert for granola bars, so if a Red Team tester slips something into a Snickers bar, it will likely get through.
Old May 3, 2017, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

A minor w/no adult in security w/carry on & @TSA agent forces her to drink her saline to prove its not a weapon! Is that ur policy @AskTSA?....Is it your policy @TSA @AskTSA @flyLAXairport to force my 17yr old daughter to DRINK HER SALINE SOLUTION at security or can't have on plane?
Old May 3, 2017, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Just another TSO exercising his/her discretion to make up a new rule - or practising something new learned at the 'academy'.

S/he probably read about the kid that CBP forced to drink liquid meth, which promptly caused an excruciating and painful death. I imagine this TSO had his/her cellphone at the ready, thinking about all the great footage s/he was going to get to post on Youtube when this 17-year-old girl started gasping and clutching at her throat.

Meanwhile, there were LTSOs and STSOs and other TSOs all witnessing this. Either they are too distracted to be trusted to work a checkpoint, or this tactic is approved by TSA HQ.

Interestingly enough, in the past, whenever TSA has been asked why people who want to keep a liquid can't just 'clear' it by drinking some of it, TSOs posting here have made the case that there are countless (unnamed) deadly volatile substances that could be used to take a plane down and that can be consumed with no immediate ill effects (like gagging or vomiting). TSOs posting here claimed that a bad guy could take a drink of something deadly from an innocent-looking water bottle and live long enough to get on the plane, assemble the bomb, and set it off before dying from the toxic effects of what had been ingested.

For obvious security reasons, no TSO ever provided the name of any of these highly explosive components that could be ingested with no immediate ill effects.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
That sounds like a lawsuit. Forcing a child to drink a non-food medical solution? When TSA has consistently said that you cannot drink a liquid to clear it?

I hope she gets a large settlement.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by janetdoe
That sounds like a lawsuit. Forcing a child to drink a non-food medical solution? When TSA has consistently said that you cannot drink a liquid to clear it?

I hope she gets a large settlement.
For a while the TSA did say things like "you can sample it, and then it's ok".
Old May 9, 2017, 7:10 am

I can second to the PHX issue. I had the same issue and it held me up. I was moving back east and I had things not opened and packed everywhere. They almost made me throw away uncooked pasta ! They actually let me through after they saw that I was indeed moving. Yeah I was smuggling food to Washington DC lol.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:18 am

I really hope this stays as a pilot program and doesn't move any further. As a diabetic who frequently travels, I practically live off snacks to supplement an off-set meal schedule. Furthermore, I now have my Quest bars spread around my backpack after a TSA agent told me that a cluster of them looked like a plastic explosive on an x-ray scanner.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:02 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

Reminder!
FlyerTalk Rule 5

Stay On Topic

FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.
The topic of this thread is TSA "pilot program" re food?, which has the TSA asking passengers to remove snacks from bags.

Posts discussing the making of explosives from ingredients available at duty free shops and which had nothing to do with this pilot program were deleted.

Please feel free to start a new thread discussing that subject.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 22, 2017, 12:46 pm

AKA as "we can make up new harassment methods so you think we are protecting you"
Old May 22, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
AKA as "we can make up new harassment methods so you think we are protecting you"
The TSA is only good at finding water bottles in bags. I haven't found anything else they are good for.

But, when I was flying out of HKG and DPS last year, they both had me scan my iPad separately.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:58 pm

After the incident on the AA flight to HNL over the weekend I would not be surprised if we see more restrictions in short order, rational or not (I would place a strong emphasis on not). I don't plan to bring any electronics larger than a cell phone for my trip this week.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by The Situation
After the incident on the AA flight to HNL over the weekend I would not be surprised if we see more restrictions in short order, rational or not (I would place a strong emphasis on not). I don't plan to bring any electronics larger than a cell phone for my trip this week.
I would agree, this was not anything more than a guy who was drunk/mentally unstable (more then likely drunk) doing some stupid crap at the airport/on the plane.

To me it looks like Los Angeles Airport Police blew it on this one for not telling AA he was arrested for entering the tarmac, and AA refusing to fly him/refunding him. Of course nobody takes blame for their actions (LA Airport Police) and now everybody will overreact, and over correct for this "incident"

http://abcnews.go.com/US/man-subdued...ry?id=47520712
Old May 22, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
The TSA is only good at finding water bottles in bags. I haven't found anything else they are good for.
Hey now. They found my full sized toothpaste that I accidentally packed in my carry on last week. They found it bigly and they took it, unless I wanted to return to check in to check the whole bag for said toothpaste. Despite the generosity of the offer, I declined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.