Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
I've heard yu can do this with brownies r chocolate cookies. The sort of snacks you might take t the airport with you in a very visible cntainer. And by "airport", I mean the sort f airport where TSA has a reputation fr cnfiscating snacks.

If you get my drift.
A TSA employee would be incredibly stupid to eat confiscated food items. Should be entertaining.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I'd spit on or stomp on any food before "voluntarily surrendering" it to TSA.
TSA probably has it in their possession by that point. Are you going to spit on them too?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky
TSA probably has it in their possession by that point. Are you going to spit on them too?
But don't we hear from somebody here that TSA always gives you a choice of what to do with contraband? In theory, you can reclaim the forbidden item, then spit on it and put it back in the bin.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
But don't we hear from somebody here that TSA always gives you a choice of what to do with contraband? In theory, you can reclaim the forbidden item, then spit on it and put it back in the bin.
You mean, mail it back to yourself, put in checked luggage etc? Often that's not a real choice, if you are short on time.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky
You mean, mail it back to yourself, put in checked luggage etc? Often that's not a real choice, if you are short on time.
Even if you have all the time in the world, how often are passengers actually given the choice?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:58 pm

Does this continue to be a problem or has the TSA eased off its crackdown on food?

Last edited by richarddd; Sep 17, 2017 at 9:17 am
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richarddd
Does this continue to be a problem or has the TSA eased off it's crackdown on food?
Yes, snacks (and books, etc.) continue to be a problem according to complaints on @TSA.

Here's one from yesterday:

It's at more airports than LEX, however.

Last edited by petaluma1; Sep 17, 2017 at 6:39 am
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:41 am

It seems this food screening is done more and more these last weeks.
http://khon2.com/2017/10/10/food-ins...olulu-airport/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/ne...lando.3641096/

I imagine the lines are growing in the airports!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Meril
It seems this food screening is done more and more these last weeks.
http://khon2.com/2017/10/10/food-ins...olulu-airport/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/ne...lando.3641096/

I imagine the lines are growing in the airports!
Line are growing and so, it seems, are the number of people missing flights. Reports are beginning to surface of 2 hour waits in security lines once again.

Screening of electronics is apparently just getting started, foodstuffs are in full gear and many airports still seem to be checking books, magazines, etc.

It is beginning to appear that this nonsense is not a security issue (like so many things TSA) but rather an attempt to force people into applying for PreCheck.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The idiocy reported in the Disney blog linked above is beyond belief. It is congressional budget season -- passing appropriations bills for FY 2018 and preparing the FY 2019 president's budget. It's a great time for the TSA to create chaos: more money for clerks & the spiffy new x-ray machines. Also, I agree with Petaluma's assertion that it's a way to strong-arm more people into paying for ExtortionCheck.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Explosives in peanut butter sandwiches courtesy of TSA

After seeing a soft drink can with a false bottom meant to hide valuables, Aguilera began looking around for other hiding places disguised as food. The fake sandwich opens like a wallet, with zippered compartments in each slice of bread designed to hide cash or credit cards. Aguilera puts a piece of sheet explosives and a detonator in one slice and sends it through security.

“In a sandwich bag, it looks like a sandwich going through,” he said.
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/loc...177427581.html

When Aguilera was asked how often these test explosives get through, TSA spokesman Mike England leaned in and said, “We can’t talk about test results. That’s classified.”
You can't talk about the results because TSA failed 95% of the time?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/loc...177427581.html

You can't talk about the results because TSA failed 95% of the time?
I don't see the issue given this statement in the referenced article:

Aguilera said X-ray screeners can pick up hidden explosives in a carry-on bag, but they also look for items that have been altered.
Also, I thought small electronics like E book readers, tablets, and other smaller type devices could remain in carry on. This statement from the article disagrees with my belief and the TSA.Gov website for screening is so thin on substance that it is less than helpful.

▪ Take any electronic items larger than a cellphone out of your bags, including tablets.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Oct 19, 2017 at 8:55 am Reason: correction
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I don't see the issue given this statement in the referenced article:

Aguilera said X-ray screeners can pick up hidden explosives in a carry-on bag, but they also look for items that have been altered.
Also, I thought small electronics like E book readers, tablets, and other smaller type devices could remain in carry on. This statement from the article disagrees with my belief and the TSA.Gov website for screening is so thin on substance that it is less than helpful.
Not sure I understand what you mean in the sentence I bolded.

From what I am reading on @TSA, everything larger than a cell phone comes out, food too and often reading materials.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure I understand what you mean in the sentence I bolded.

From what I am reading on @TSA, everything larger than a cell phone comes out, food too and often reading materials.
I was being a bit to brief in my response.

The TSA spokesperson quoted in the article states that explosives are visible in the xray. So hiding sheet explosive in a fake (or real) sandwich should not defeat TSA screeners. Nor should any other device be a concern so why the requirement to remove these things? Is the TSA spokesperson not telling the truth or is the very high target miss rate of TSA screeners caused by something else like inattention to their duties?

Things just don't add up for me.

And how much damage could a pane of sheet explosive the size of a sandwich cause? The power of an explosive is generally related to being contained. Example, gun power just poured on the ground and torched makes a quick flash of fire and smoke but no explosion. Put that same amount of gun powder in a tight container (pipe bomb) with a fuse and now you have a small bomb.

Basically I'm saying that TSA is tilting at windmills.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

Also, I thought small electronics like E book readers, tablets, and other smaller type devices could remain in carry on.
Recent data points from BUR, BOS, LAX and PDX - all electronics (including kindles, tablets, etc.) must be out of carry-ons, and in separate bins. The line at BUR was ridiculous because each person had 3-5 bins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.