Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find the difference between American and European security personnel interesting.
I think the dynamic is influenced by the differences in the workplace in Europe and the US.
Here, TSO is a low status job with little allowance for situational discretion. I believe the TSO is regularly and emphatically reminded that in the US, if a terror attack occurs because of oversight or laxity on the part of a TSO, they will not just be fired. They - personally - will be publicly named, they will be excoriated personally, and they may be subject to being called to testify in public or even prosecuted. The video of this despicable frisking surely has been no fun for the TSO. Nor should it. Can you imagine if he'd been less thorough (now that the rules allow this invasive search) and something had happened. You'd be seeing THAT video a whole hell of a lot more than this one. And I'll wager he's been reprimanded or more for doing the job his boss insisted he do because of the video. I'll also wager his supervisor received no such organizational rebuke. Judging by the interactions I've witnessed between line TSO's and supervisory personnel, I'm sure the TSO has no illusions about anyone "having their back," more like a certainty they'll be cast as a sacrificial lamb.
Under those conditions, what TSO would relax the standard procedure, even if he had authority to do so?
Though I'm not able to comment on how it is for security personnel in Europe, I've had enough experience contrasting general working conditions in western Europe with the same position (even in the same corporation) in the US, and the US rarely comes out on top. Far too much misguided use of the impending "axe" as the prime motivation for employee performance.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by guflyer
One has the right to opt-out in the EU, correct? Does this mean that if one wants to, one can decline to go through the body scanner when one gets SSSS in Frankfurt?
No. If you want to fly, you cannot refuse any of the SSSS screening in FRA.

As I said, the SSSS screening in FRA was mild. I've had worse (more invasive, longer) experiences with primary screening in the US.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:16 am

Here's another story of abuse at a TSA checkpoint:

Here

On March 13, 2017, I received a "Letter of Investigation" from the TSA telling me that I was under investigation for Failure to comply causing the screening process to be slowed and was at risk of an $11,000 fine. We contacted our US Representative immediately and eventually my husband spoke to the investigator on my case who made it clear that Inwas under investigation because I had posted the video which had gotten only 2900 views.
The video is on her Facebook page on March 27th. You can clearly see two genital jabs.

Last edited by petaluma1; Apr 7, 2017 at 6:30 am
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Here's another story of abuse at a TSA checkpoint:

Here
Intimidation of people for exercising their freedom of expression -- filming for sharing is a form of expression -- seems to be another example of the TSA being unsuitable for an open, democratic republic. The TSA doesn't seem to want evidence widely shared of how it's pawing genitals daily. Where is the TSA equivalent of ALT_USCIS?

If the TSA wants to try to fine me $11k for exercising a basic right to freedom of peaceful expression, I hope to laugh in their face.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 7, 2017 at 6:36 am
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by GUWonder

If the TSA wants to try to fine me $11k for exercising a basic right to freedom of peaceful expression, I hope to laugh in their face.
Laugh in their face? I hope you'd be able to laugh all the way to the bank.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
Laugh in their face? I hope you'd be able to laugh all the way to the bank.
I would hope so too.

It's too bad that there isn't a lot more civil litigation against the TSA over these kind of TSA antics.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:39 am

Intimidation of people for exercising their freedom of expression -- filming for sharing is a form of expression -- seems to be another example of the TSA being unsuitable for an open, democratic republic. The TSA doesn't seem to want evidence widely shared of how it's pawing genitals daily. Where is the TSA equivalent of ALT_USCIS?

Here: https://twitter.com/alt_tsa

but it's not active.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Intimidation of people for exercising their freedom of expression -- filming for sharing is a form of expression -- seems to be another example of the TSA being unsuitable for an open, democratic republic. The TSA doesn't seem to want evidence widely shared of how it's pawing genitals daily. .
Events like these clearly display TSA's inefficiency, ineptitude, and aggressive harassment. The recent missed-firearm event in Atlanta demonstrates the public receives no actual security benefit to show for it. We could replace the whole lot of them with cardboard cutouts and suffer no detriment to safety.

It's no wonder TSA would attempt to fine any of their victims who dared to publicize what actually happens at the checkpoint; bullies don't like being exposed for what they are. Why would anyone with a semblance of human decency voluntarily choose to continue associating themselves with such a crowd?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This belongs on Propaganda Village and on the TSA Twitter site. I'll ask my nephew if it can be done. FT doesn't seem to take Facebook URLs. The more we can pile this stuff on and keep it in the public, the better off we will be.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:41 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
For TRANS-SEXUALS, with female breasts but male genitals, who outwardly look and dress as females, how does TSA "handle" the extra (intensive) pat downs?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:23 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by nrr
For TRANS-SEXUALS, with female breasts but male genitals, who outwardly look and dress as females, how does TSA "handle" the extra (intensive) pat downs?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DFW Groping "Myth Buster" Now off Propaganda Village Front Page

The DFW and other incidents are now part of America's past because the entire blog is now filled up with last week's guns in a font size that Mr. Magoo himself could read. Heck, even the drivel about America's heroine, the Lead Screener, was pushed to the second page. Comments beyond the 98 up there as of April 4 are now being censored or ignored.

This means we have to work harder to keep this and similar affronts on America's radar screen.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:53 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
The last post in that thread is nearly a year ago. With TSA's more intensive pat downs is much of the info up-to-date?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
The last post in that thread is nearly a year ago. With TSA's more intensive pat downs is much of the info up-to-date?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.10b278a2b9ff

“Every time transgender people navigate airport security they risk being demeaned and humiliated. While the Transportation Security Administration has taken steps to better protect the privacy of transgender passengers, there is a long way to go,” David Stacy, government affairs director for the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), said in a written statement. “More invasive pat downs are a dangerous step in the wrong direction.”
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
No problem -- Here's my educated opinion:
  • Trying like crazy to get bad residue from somewhere on a person's body so they can take you in the private room and really work you over.
  • Related to the above, to call the airport cops who can do all sorts of searches and warrant checks that they wouldn't be allowed to legally do anywhere else except at the airport.
  • Hoping to find a joint or two carefully hidden on the victim's body
  • Harassment and punishment, along with aggression

<deleted by moderator>

SSI, as one category of Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI) is completely out of control and has no oversight and no challenge procedures.
I have never had any training or even heard a coworker mention anything remotely close to -

"Trying like crazy to get residue" "So they can take you in a private room and really work you over".

What I have and do hear consistently, is TSO communicating with passengers and attempting to get them to divest items from their person so they alarm the screening equipment less. I have never wanted an alarm on a passenger - the vast majority of passengers are wonderful, and we talk with them, help them recollect their items, even help them to the gate sometimes when they need the assistance (that is an infrequent occurrence, but it does happen from time to time). We have several families, individuals that use our call ahead program, and we work with those that have special needs to get them through with as few challenges as possible.

Your opinions on LEO interactions is noted.

Hoping to find a joint or two? We don't look for illegal drugs, however, if we do find some during an attempt to clear an alarm, then we are required to report it to local LEOs. Even if some states have decriminalized or even legalized certain drugs, they are still illegal in many locations, and are still illegal in the eyes of Federal law. You have a case to make for legality either way, it is easy to build one - again, either way. Regardless, TSOs are required to report things like a "joint or two" discovered while attempting to clear an alarm.

Harassment and punishment is not a part of my (or any other TSO) job. I am there to help the passengers get ready for screening, to perform that screening, and to help them as need be during that screening. Any TSO that does either of these is wrong, period.

Your statements about SSI, are not unusual, nor are you the first to voice such comments or thoughts. I think that SSI use and designations, will be audited, controlled and the guidelines for it will always come from a much higher pay grade than I will ever hold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.